NYMC vs. UW-Madison

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BostonDrwannabe

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I am lucky enough this year to be holding two acceptances:NYMC and UW-Madison. I am having a hard time deciding between the two, so I was wondering if current students can provide some insight into their experiences at their respective school to further inform my decision?

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys, I am lucky enough this year to be holding two acceptances:NYMC and UW-Madison. I am having a hard time deciding between the two, so I was wondering if current students can provide some insight into their experiences at their respective school to further inform my decision?

Thanks in advance

as an MS2 at NYMC I've had an amazing experience thus far. The facilities, faculty, fellow students and living accommodations are all great. Plus all my friends and family live in the NYC metro area. That being said, I would only attend NYMC if you have a specific interest in staying around the NYC area. Like for example to be close to home, or to rotate in hospitals in the city etc. I'm not sure if you're a Wisconsin resident or not so I'm not sure of the price difference. That could also factor in since out of state vs in state tuition is likely extremely different.

Thanks in advance

I'm obviously a UW student, but I'll give you what insight I have about the programs from my now relatively distant admission cycle.

UW Pros:

Free step 1 preparation classes
Much stronger research: In the process of finishing $1 billion research facility right next to the med school, some of the biggest names in science are here including two researchers considered favorites to win the nobel prize in the next couple years. Every student can do research between m1/2 and be paid $6000.

Top programs in some fields: our depts in numerous surgical specialties, infectious disease, radiology, anesthesia, and fam med are all among the best. Very few departments are considered weak.

Curriculum: organ system based, p/f for year 1, lots of exposure to specialties during the core rotations. Schedule allows plenty of time to study for step 1 and 4th year electives, administration is very responsive.

Facilities: our medical school and library are brand new, tons of study space.

People: generally the people here are very nice, attendings and residents are generally happy and I haven't encountered a single instance of malignant behavior in 3rd year, i love my classmates, it's a very collaborative envirornent. Madison is one of the most beautiful cities in the US and there's a lot of young people here.

Cons:

Focus on primary care: this is changing and I can't say I was ever pushed towards PC, but a large percentage of each class goes into PC.

Statewide campus: during 3rd year you'll have to spend 10-12 weeks at sites outside of Madison and 6 wks during 4th year.

NYMC:

Pros: close to ny ear and eye, good if you like ent/optho, close to NYC, east coast programs know about it.

Cons: a lot of people think it's a backup school, high cost, not much research, their NYC teaching hospital (st vincents) just closed so ppl are stuck with westchester med center, you are required to do 30 rectal exams to pass 3rd year (that in and of itself would be a deal breaker for me)

My $.02

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm obviously a UW student, but I'll give you what insight I have about the programs from my now relatively distant admission cycle.

UW Pros:

Free step 1 preparation classes
Much stronger research: In the process of finishing $1 billion research facility right next to the med school, some of the biggest names in science are here including two researchers considered favorites to win the nobel prize in the next couple years.

Top programs in some fields: our depts in numerous surgical specialties, infectious disease, radiology, anesthesia, and fam med are all among the best. Very few departments are considered weak.

Curriculum: organ system based, p/f for year 1, lots of exposure to specialties during the core rotations. Schedule allows plenty of time to study for step 1 and 4th year electives, administration is very responsive.

Facilities: our medical school and library are brand new, tons of study space.

People: generally the people here are very nice, attendings and residents are generally happy and I haven't encountered a single instance of malignant behavior in 3rd year, i love my classmates, it's a very collaborative envirornent. Madison is one of the most beautiful cities in the US and there's a lot of young people here.

Cons:

Focus on primary care: this is changing and I can't say I was ever pushed towards PC, but a large percentage of each class goes into PC.

Statewide campus: during 3rd year you'll have to spend 10-12 weeks at sites outside of Madison and 6 wks during 4th year.

NYMC:

Pros: close to ny ear and eye, good if you like ent/optho, close to NYC, east coast programs know about it.

Cons: a lot of people think it's a backup school, high cost, not much research, their NYC teaching hospital (st vincents) just closed so ppl are stuck with westchester med center, you are required to do 30 rectal exams to pass 3rd year (that in and of itself would be a deal breaker for me)

My $.02

Actually not true. Obv st. vincents did close but since then we've gained an additional manhattan hospital (lenox hill) and kept our other affiliations in manhattan (Metropolitan hospital) and the Bronx (Montefiore North and Bronx Lebanon). So actually 3rd yr rotation spots are split roughly 50/50 between NYC and elsewhere.

Actually not true. Obv st. vincents did close but since then we've gained an additional manhattan hospital (lenox hill) and kept our other affiliations in manhattan (Metropolitan hospital) and the Bronx (Montefiore North and Bronx Lebanon). So actually 3rd yr rotation spots are split roughly 50/50 between NYC and elsewhere.

Cool, most of my info is from residents ive worked with who went to NYMC so it might be a bit dated. Btw, keep in mind a lot of the hospital affiliates aren't full academic teaching hospitals so you take the good and bad with that.

Cool, most of my info is from residents ive worked with who went to NYMC so it might be a bit dated. Btw, keep in mind a lot of the hospital affiliates aren't full academic teaching hospitals so you take the good and bad with that.

yes of course but I was just saying that most students who want to be in NYC end up there. Just a heads up

U-Wisc. seems awesome... know someone that went there, didn't apply b/c i was OOS so I felt i didnt have a great shot. in retrospect I do wish i would have applied at least for the chance to interview and see the place and Madison (which i hear is a really cool town).

yes of course but I was just saying that most students who want to be in NYC end up there. Just a heads up

Yeah our surgery chief resident went there and was at stv when it closed and xferred, she said it was a cool Hosp.

U-Wisc. seems awesome... know someone that went there, didn't apply b/c i was OOS so I felt i didnt have a great shot. in retrospect I do wish i would have applied at least for the chance to interview and see the place and Madison (which i hear is a really cool town).

I'm OOS. To be quite honest with you, I was quite shocked when when I was invited for an interview, and I was FLOORED when I got an acceptance (I was initially on the alternate list, but then got accepted soon after without even being ranked). My application is, by NO means, stellar. I think luck has a lot to do with it--I had great interviewers.

Thanks Drizz and whoknows for your advice!

Research is a big pro for me at wisconsin. Though, NYMC is trying to build up their research reputation, I think. My interviewer told me they recently recruited some stem cell (i think) researcher who is in the top of his field to NYMC.

NYMC's location is great--far enough from the city so you won't be distracted, but at the same time, close enough to go during the weekends. I'm also a foodie, and you can't get better then NYC in terms of restaurants/food.

I didn't get a chance to go into downtown madison during my interview, but I've heard great things about it. The lakes are awesome!

I have some thinking to do..

James Thomson, the researcher who first isolated embryonic stem cells is at UW. One of the researchers I work with developed brain angiography... there's no comparison between the two schools in terms of the quality and quantity of research being performed.

As far as food goes, Madison is certainly not NYC, but has the largest quantity of restaurants/bars per capita of any city in the US. There's a pretty large assortment of very nice restaurants including great ethnic cuisine and a large quantity of upscale options. The added benefit is affordability. Madison also has the largest farmers' market in the US on the Capitol Square in the summer, which many eateries take advantage of in offering locally grown fresh foods as mainstays of their summer menus, which is also nice.

I do think it's nice that the city is somewhat accessible from NYMC but I think you're slightly overestimating how much time you'll have as a medical student. Saying NYC is 'accessible' from NYMC is like saying Chicago is 'accessible' from Madison (being a 2 hour drive or bus ride) I think comparing the actual cities you'd be living in is somewhat more useful.

Thanks Drizz and whoknows for your advice!

Research is a big pro for me at wisconsin. Though, NYMC is trying to build up their research reputation, I think. My interviewer told me they recently recruited some stem cell (i think) researcher who is in the top of his field to NYMC.

NYMC's location is great--far enough from the city so you won't be distracted, but at the same time, close enough to go during the weekends. I'm also a foodie, and you can't get better then NYC in terms of restaurants/food.

I didn't get a chance to go into downtown madison during my interview, but I've heard great things about it. The lakes are awesome!

I have some thinking to do..

Ahh that's tough. I'm also deciding between NYMC and GWU. :( So tough.

Also be aware there is a discrepancy in costs as you probably know. $46,950 tuition at NYMC and $72,910/$77,270 COA for on-campus/off-campus. Edit: Add $1266 onto those figures for *fees*

Wisc is $35,210 OOS tuition and $55,525 COA for OOS.

Not sure if this plays a role in your decision, but it does highlight a difference between schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
James Thomson, the researcher who first isolated embryonic stem cells is at UW. One of the researchers I work with developed brain angiography... there's no comparison between the two schools in terms of the quality and quantity of research being performed.

As far as food goes, Madison is certainly not NYC, but has the largest quantity of restaurants/bars per capita of any city in the US. There's a pretty large assortment of very nice restaurants including great ethnic cuisine and a large quantity of upscale options. The added benefit is affordability. Madison also has the largest farmers' market in the US on the Capitol Square in the summer, which many eateries take advantage of in offering locally grown fresh foods as mainstays of their summer menus, which is also nice.

I do think it's nice that the city is somewhat accessible from NYMC but I think you're slightly overestimating how much time you'll have as a medical student. Saying NYC is 'accessible' from NYMC is like saying Chicago is 'accessible' from Madison (being a 2 hour drive or bus ride) I think comparing the actual cities you'd be living in is somewhat more useful.

It seems like you're slightly misinformed drizzt....Manhattan is 30 miles from NYMC...35 minute train ride and 30-40 minute drive depending on traffic. Hardly 2 hrs.

Also as someone who has experienced it, 1st yr I was able to go to the city 2-3 times every 2 wks and 2nd yr 1-2 a wk. So I dont think that it is a stretch for this to be a consideration.

I'm at madison now, we weren't offered "free step 1 classes" so maybe that was just for that class...

I love the school, great facilities, the faculty will bend over backwards to help you as long as you aren't a total douche, the curriculum is great (I'm a big fan of the systems based sequence).

I came here from out of state, so the cost is a little more, but for the quality of education I feel that I'm getting my money's worth. I would echo everything the other guy said about the positives of the school.

The only con that I have seen so far is that Madison, as a city, sucks balls... big hairy, sweaty, balls. Its a glorified college town with a chip on it's shoulder. The cuisine is decent for a town this size, but nothing special. There really is no "downtown" area to speak of, except for maaaaaaaaybe a two block radius around the capitol. There really is no culture, except for overly educated "progressive" white people driving for Union Cab.... Now, for some people this smaller town living is a plus, for me its a huge negative, and something I didn't anticipate being as annoying as it is. Oh, and Madison natives tend by and large to be some of the blindly proud people I know, don't try telling them their city is lacking in culture unless you want an argument about how restaurant x is soooooo good....

All that said though, I don't regret my decision one bit. I love the school, believe in their statewide campus philosophy (that was one of the reasons I chose here), have made some great friends, and have met some inspiring people. But, like many in my class who came from real cities, we can't wait to get the hell outta this town.

My only advice would be to figure out what you are ready to compromise on, for me I was ok compromising things like culture, food choices, art scene, being in a vibrant community, having the luxuries of being in a city, etc. I had other acceptances, but I chose Madison because of the school and faculty knowing that this would not be where I spent the rest of my life.

-Oh, and this place is dirt cheap, I am barely paying more OOS+living expenses here than I would have been to be instate+living expenses where I was in the Twin Cities. The only drawback, is that unlike some states, I am never going to be eligible for IS tuition which would have been rad.

Last edited:
I'm at madison now, we weren't offered "free step 1 classes" so maybe that was just for that class...

I love the school, great facilities, the faculty will bend over backwards to help you as long as you aren't a total douche, the curriculum is great (I'm a big fan of the systems based sequence).

I came here from out of state, so the cost is a little more, but for the quality of education I feel that I'm getting my money's worth. I would echo everything the other guy said about the positives of the school.

The only con that I have seen so far is that Madison, as a city, sucks balls... big hairy, sweaty, balls. Its a glorified college town with a chip on it's shoulder. The cuisine is decent for a town this size, but nothing special. There really is no "downtown" area to speak of, except for maaaaaaaaybe a two block radius around the capitol. There really is no culture, except for overly educated "progressive" white people driving for Union Cab.... Now, for some people this smaller town living is a plus, for me its a huge negative, and something I didn't anticipate being as annoying as it is. Oh, and Madison natives tend by and large to be some of the blindly proud people I know, don't try telling them their city is lacking in culture unless you want an argument about how restaurant x is soooooo good....

All that said though, I don't regret my decision one bit. I love the school, believe in their statewide campus philosophy (that was one of the reasons I chose here), have made some great friends, and have met some inspiring people. But, like many in my class who came from real cities, we can't wait to get the hell outta this town.

My only advice would be to figure out what you are ready to compromise on, for me I was ok compromising things like culture, food choices, art scene, being in a vibrant community, having the luxuries of being in a city, etc. I had other acceptances, but I chose Madison because of the school and faculty knowing that this would not be where I spent the rest of my life.

-Oh, and this place is dirt cheap, I am barely paying more OOS+living expenses here than I would have been to be instate+living expenses where I was in the Twin Cities. The only drawback, is that unlike some states, I am never going to be eligible for IS tuition which would have been rad.

Yikes, that is actually one of my main reservations about UW-Madison. I've lived Boston for the past few years, and have grown to love the convenience of the city. I enjoy the hustle bustle of an urban lifestyle. With that said, I don't think I ever gave small-town living a shot...maybe I will like it? In terms of culture, to be honest, I was apprehensive when I landed in Milwaukee and noticed that I was perhaps the only non-white person within the vicinity. The student body at UW is majority white, but I don't think that will play a big factor in my decision--I get along with everyone!

The city was a huge reservation for me, but the school itself swayed me, like I said, I went into this knowing Madison would never be my home.

I don't regret it all, just wish I could pick up the school, classmates, faculty, and hospital and move it to a better locale.

The city was a huge reservation for me, but the school itself swayed me, like I said, I went into this knowing Madison would never be my home.

I don't regret it all, just wish I could pick up the school, classmates, faculty, and hospital and move it to a better locale.

I think if you go somewhere expecting to hate it, you probably will. That said, I moved to Madison from the west side of LA, my best friends in med school moved from the bay area, chicago, and Seattle respectively, all of us love it here. I've lived in big cities for most of my adult life, and will probably wind up in the bay area or Boston in a year, but I think Madison has lots of nice places that are really quite nice. I think if your idea of exploring Madison is checking out the lower state/univ area, you'll probably be disappointed, but I think the Monroe, capitol west, and Williamson neighborhoods have a lot to offer.

I was a consultant before med school and ate pretty well, part of my job description was wining and dining clients. I don't feel deprived here. Yes I dont have 10 inexpensive sushi restaurants to choose from every night, but there are 2-3 good ones to choose from. Madison is really a neighborhood driven city, the lower state area is going to be all dbag frat kids, but the east loop is all young professionals, etc. In the end, your experience is what you make of it.

Again, time is an issue. I started writing this msg at 430 this morning, you just won't have time to do that much for much of 3rd year, 4th year you're all over the place, ill be in Boston and the bay area for 3 mo this summer.

I just wanted to say that NYMC was at least an hour away from the top part of Manhattan when I drove there early in the morning with some traffic. But with no traffic, it's 25 miles away I guess or something so maybe it's a lot faster.

I think if you go somewhere expecting to hate it, you probably will. That said, I moved to Madison from the west side of LA, my best friends in med school moved from the bay area, chicago, and Seattle respectively, all of us love it here. I've lived in big cities for most of my adult life, and will probably wind up in the bay area or Boston in a year, but I think Madison has lots of nice places that are really quite nice. I think if your idea of exploring Madison is checking out the lower state/univ area, you'll probably be disappointed, but I think the Monroe, capitol west, and Williamson neighborhoods have a lot to offer.

I was a consultant before med school and ate pretty well, part of my job description was wining and dining clients. I don't feel deprived here. Yes I dont have 10 inexpensive sushi restaurants to choose from every night, but there are 2-3 good ones to choose from. Madison is really a neighborhood driven city, the lower state area is going to be all dbag frat kids, but the east loop is all young professionals, etc. In the end, your experience is what you make of it.

Again, time is an issue. I started writing this msg at 430 this morning, you just won't have time to do that much for much of 3rd year, 4th year you're all over the place, ill be in Boston and the bay area for 3 mo this summer.

Yeah, goes to show everyone has a different experience. I thought I would really grow to like Madison, just hasn't happened. But what you said regarding time was the reason I knew it wasn't a huge deal that Madison was not a desirable locale for myself.

If you're still up in the area, and able to do it, come out during the summer and explore the area a little bit. Check out the lakes and the stuff going on at the Capitol during the summer. Don't let a couple dudes on the interwebz be your deciding factor though.

Wisconsin has Big 10 Sports, better research, a SIGNIFICANTLY better name, and is cheaper.

NYMC is in the suburbs, at least an hour from the city proper, maybe you can go in once a week, but you still have to live most of the time in Valhalla/White Plains. I'd take Madison in a heartbeat.

Wisconsin for sure.

Wisconsin has Big 10 Sports, better research, a SIGNIFICANTLY better name, and is cheaper.

NYMC is in the suburbs, at least an hour from the city proper, maybe you can go in once a week, but you still have to live most of the time in Valhalla/White Plains. I'd take Madison in a heartbeat.

Wisconsin for sure.

NYC is 30 miles or so away from Valhalla. The train is 38 minutes into grand central which is how most people travel. Half the students live in NYC 3rd and 4th yr. So if its desired half the time is spent in valhalla and the other half in NYC. So I'm not sure where everybody who ISN'T a student at NYMC is getting this misinformation from.

And btw...if you read my original post I was almost leaning towards suggesting UW, I just hate when people post utterly wrong statements.

NYC is 30 miles or so away from Valhalla. The train is 38 minutes into grand central which is how most people travel. Half the students live in NYC 3rd and 4th yr. So if its desired half the time is spent in valhalla and the other half in NYC. So I'm not sure where everybody who ISN'T a student at NYMC is getting this misinformation from.

And btw...if you read my original post I was almost leaning towards suggesting UW, I just hate when people post utterly wrong statements.
A 38 minute train yes, but include ~10-15 minute drive to the train station including parking and you are already at ~50 minutes just to get to Grand Central. Most people are going to want to do something that isn't at Grand Central, subway is going to take at least 10 minutes to get anywhere and you are at an hour.

Yes it might be a 38 minute train ride, but unless you live at the train station and get there right on time for the train, and want to hang out in Grand Central, it takes more than 38 minutes to get into NYC. I have visited Westchester many times and a good chunk of my friends live there. None of them would argue that they are 38 minutes from the city, even if they live in White Plains.

It's not misinformation.

A 38 minute train yes, but include ~10-15 minute drive to the train station including parking and you are already at ~50 minutes just to get to Grand Central. Most people are going to want to do something that isn't at Grand Central, subway is going to take at least 10 minutes to get anywhere and you are at an hour.

Yes it might be a 38 minute train ride, but unless you live at the train station and get there right on time for the train, and want to hang out in Grand Central, it takes more than 38 minutes to get into NYC. I have visited Westchester many times and a good chunk of my friends live there. None of them would argue that they are 38 minutes from the city, even if they live in White Plains.

It's not misinformation.

sounds like a fun game of semantics. Count me out.

And what was misinformation is that you spend most of your time in westchester. Utterly false. People who want to live in NYC have that opportunity. In fact, as I noted before, roughly 50% of the class moves to NYC for 3rd and 4th yr.

Thank you for all of your input!

NYC is really far from vahalla...indeed about a 30 minute train ride into grand central station (which counts as being in the city).

However, I think I will be going to Wisconsin this Fall.

For those you are at Madison now: where is a good place to live if I would like to live alone?

NYC is really far from vahalla...indeed about a 30 minute train ride into grand central station (which counts as being in the city).

For those you are at Madison now: where is a good place to live if I would like to live alone?

The apts on old university ave are popular for med students bc they're walking distance from school, so probably half the class lives there...

yeah definitely look at old university place. Also check over by hilldale (a mall just about a mile west of the school) there are always some good things on Midvale Blvd for reasonable prices.

Feel free to pm me if ya have any questions. I also lived downtown a block from the Capitol and liked living down there a whole lot, but it was more expensive and a longer commute.

The apts on old university ave are popular for med students bc they're walking distance from school, so probably half the class lives there...

The apartments on Sheboygan Ave. was also a popular choice, at least for us graduate students.

I'd echo a couple of other posters in this thread when the cuisine is definitely lacking, but there are some decent places here and there. Buraka on State St. is not one of them and I would stay far, far away from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.