• Advice You're Thankful for Contest

Now that it's getting close to Thanksgiving, we're running a contest to hear advice you've received that you're most thankful for! This can be any type of advice and the advice with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

Nymc

About the Ads

saki0005

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2004
    they received close to 9000 applicants this year. My husband read the letter and was like "You have the same chances of becoming a bigtime Hollywood screenwriter!!!"
    I never looked at it that way. It kind of puts things in perspective for me. We agreed that if I do not get in anywhere this application cycle, I'm going to take a year to improve on my application and reapply next year.
    I'm feeling better. At least I don't have so much pressure to get in this year.

BATiger

10+ Year Member
    5+ Year Member
    Nov 14, 2004
    1. Medical Student
      I got the boot from them yesterday too, but that school is so over-priced and the people I know that go there are so miserable that I don't even care.

saki0005

10+ Year Member
      5+ Year Member
      Oct 11, 2004
        brgrdanna said:
        I got the boot from them yesterday too, but that school is so over-priced and the people I know that go there are so miserable that I don't even care.

yeah but sometimes i'd rather be miserable and in med school than miserable because i can't get into med school and my future is uncertain.

tinkerbelle

10+ Year Member
        15+ Year Member
        Jul 18, 2003
        Neverland
        1. Attending Physician
          brgrdanna said:

i agree that the students looked really stressed out, but i wouldn't say they were miserable. The people i talked to really liked the school and their classmates

Elphie

2K Member
          10+ Year Member
          5+ Year Member
          Jun 2, 2004
            VPDcurt said:
            I've got an interview at NYMC on Feb 17 - I've always heard good things about it, but you guys are making it sound really bad. I guess time will tell.

I interviewed there and liked it. The students I spoke with were happy and there were many aspects of the school I liked. I don't know why it gets constantly degraded on SDN. Sure it's not a top 20 school, but it's a US accredited allopathic medical school. It's not like there are thousands of those! ;)

About the Ads

txguy

10+ Year Member
            Apr 18, 2004
            refer to screen name
            1. Attending Physician
              Elphie said:
              I interviewed there and liked it. The students I spoke with were happy and there were many aspects of the school I liked. I don't know why it gets constantly degraded on SDN. Sure it's not a top 20 school, but it's a US accredited allopathic medical school. It's not like there are thousands of those! ;)

Also check out their match list, they match pretty well--must be for a reason!

I interviewed at NYMC sometime in October and was accepted 12 weeks later via snail mail (the online status check updated 2 days after I received the acceptance in the mail)--I really liked the school, especially their anatomy lab....

Try not to have any pre-judgements, just go on the interview and see if its for you...good luck :luck:

NYCDesi

10+ Year Member
              5+ Year Member
              Sep 8, 2004
                Elphie said:
                It's not even ranked on US News.

I could be wrong but I think its because they don't submit to US News, which in turn means they don't get ranked....

txguy

10+ Year Member
                Apr 18, 2004
                refer to screen name
                1. Attending Physician
                  camisho said:
                  Hey guys I just got an interview there...any advice...anything of note?

Just be yourself and know specifically why you want to attend NYMC...also, be prepared to answer the "are there any red flags?" question...I saw it on interview feedback several times and it came up in my interview....I think the purpose behind it is so that there are no surprises when your interviewer is presenting your application to the adcom (they'll be able to explain any oddities or "red flags" in your app to them)....

-tx

G0S2

SDN Angel
                  10+ Year Member
                  15+ Year Member
                  Oct 11, 2003
                  TX
                  1. Resident [Any Field]
                    txguy said:
                    Just be yourself and know specifically why you want to attend NYMC...also, be prepared to answer the "are there any red flags?" question...I saw it on interview feedback several times and it came up in my interview....I think the purpose behind it is so that there are no surprises when your interviewer is presenting your application to the adcom (they'll be able to explain any oddities or "red flags" in your app to them)....

-tx

Hey txguy, what are you doing over here??? Please don't tell me you are still considering NYMC!!

medstylee

1K Member
                    10+ Year Member
                    15+ Year Member
                    Oct 15, 2003
                    www.mdapplicants.com
                    1. Resident [Any Field]
                      MD Rapper said:
                      It seems like a lot of people got invites today... i wonder whats going on over there...

you're at georgetown in the smp program, right? do you know if a lot of people in the program got nymc invites today? i thought i heard someone talking about it during one of the classes. thanks man.

Psycho Doctor

*** Angel
                      10+ Year Member
                      5+ Year Member
                      Jun 27, 2004
                      1. Medical Student
                        Elphie said:

My experience was really positive; I liked the school and so did the students I talked to Yea, they were stressed but isn't that what med school is all about? :p

medstylee

1K Member
                        10+ Year Member
                        15+ Year Member
                        Oct 15, 2003
                        www.mdapplicants.com
                        1. Resident [Any Field]
                          MD Rapper said:
                          Yeah, I heard of 3 or 4 people in our program getting interviews today... I wonder if it was a big wave of invites for SMP students in particular or for the applicant pool in general...

gotcha. well crap... hopefully whatever kind of wave it was/is, it will be continuing tomorrow or in the near future.

to add my input, i liked the school a lot when i interviewed there last year. i know some students that go there, and i don't think that they're any less happy than students i know at other schools. the facilities are really nice and they do prepare their students really well for the boards and for placing in good residency programs. it shows in their students' match results. my only gripe, admissions-wise, is that they take FOREVER to get you a decision. when they say 8-12 weeks, they're sure as hell not lying.

DonnyV17

10+ Year Member
                          5+ Year Member
                          Nov 8, 2004
                            I was just wondering if anyone was considering goin to NYMC in the fall.... because I am.. im waiting on 3 schools still to give me a decission, but for some reason, i really really liked NYMC..... :)

twilight

10+ Year Member
                            5+ Year Member
                            Jan 29, 2005
                              camisho said:
                              Hey guys I just got an interview there...any advice...anything of note?

I just had my interview in late january. I liked the school and the students did not seem miserable as everyone on student doctor network has been saying. The board scores are on average 4-6 points above the national average. Obviously this school really gives its students a good education and there are many clinical opportunities in ritzy hospitals as well as in underserved areas in the city. The negative aspect of the school for me is the dorm housing but I am sure I could get over that if I were to be accepted.

Try to go to the interview with an open mind. You might be surprised and really like it.

I hope this helps. Good luck! :)

About the Ads
                              This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                              2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                              3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                              4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                              5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                              6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                              7. This thread is locked.