-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Nymc
Started by saki0005
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
uh oh I haven't hread from them either... I am on the west coast so maybe my letter is on its way ?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
they received close to 9000 applicants this year. My husband read the letter and was like "You have the same chances of becoming a bigtime Hollywood screenwriter!!!"
I never looked at it that way. It kind of puts things in perspective for me. We agreed that if I do not get in anywhere this application cycle, I'm going to take a year to improve on my application and reapply next year.
I'm feeling better. At least I don't have so much pressure to get in this year.
I never looked at it that way. It kind of puts things in perspective for me. We agreed that if I do not get in anywhere this application cycle, I'm going to take a year to improve on my application and reapply next year.
I'm feeling better. At least I don't have so much pressure to get in this year.
brgrdanna said:I got the boot from them yesterday too, but that school is so over-priced and the people I know that go there are so miserable that I don't even care.
yeah but sometimes i'd rather be miserable and in med school than miserable because i can't get into med school and my future is uncertain.
cammy1313 said:I got the boot a while back post-interview.
You don't want to go there anyway 😉
Yea, that supermodel wasn't my type anyway.
I'm predicting that my rejection letter will be in the mailbox today or manana.
brgrdanna said:I got the boot from them yesterday too, but that school is so over-priced and the people I know that go there are so miserable that I don't even care.
i agree that the students looked really stressed out, but i wouldn't say they were miserable. The people i talked to really liked the school and their classmates
VPDcurt said:I've got an interview at NYMC on Feb 17 - I've always heard good things about it, but you guys are making it sound really bad. I guess time will tell.
I interviewed there and liked it. The students I spoke with were happy and there were many aspects of the school I liked. I don't know why it gets constantly degraded on SDN. Sure it's not a top 20 school, but it's a US accredited allopathic medical school. It's not like there are thousands of those! 😉
MDNYC said:To those of you who received letters--when did you interview? I interviewed mid-December, so I'm wondering if I'll hear from them soon too?
On the website, it says to give them 8-12 weeks to make a decision.
Elphie said:I interviewed there and liked it. The students I spoke with were happy and there were many aspects of the school I liked. I don't know why it gets constantly degraded on SDN. Sure it's not a top 20 school, but it's a US accredited allopathic medical school. It's not like there are thousands of those! 😉
Also check out their match list, they match pretty well--must be for a reason!
I interviewed at NYMC sometime in October and was accepted 12 weeks later via snail mail (the online status check updated 2 days after I received the acceptance in the mail)--I really liked the school, especially their anatomy lab....
Try not to have any pre-judgements, just go on the interview and see if its for you...good luck

It's not even ranked on US News.Elphie said:I interviewed there and liked it. The students I spoke with were happy and there were many aspects of the school I liked. I don't know why it gets constantly degraded on SDN. Sure it's not a top 20 school, but it's a US accredited allopathic medical school. It's not like there are thousands of those! 😉
I could be wrong but I think its because they don't submit to US News, which in turn means they don't get ranked....
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I haven't heard anything yet either... is it still possible that I MIGHT get an interview???
Timmythemic22 said:I haven't heard anything yet either... is it still possible that I MIGHT get an interview???
I just got invited to interview today...but lookin at the responses in this thread...it doesn't seem like its worth it 🙁
camisho said:Hey guys I just got an interview there...any advice...anything of note?
Just be yourself and know specifically why you want to attend NYMC...also, be prepared to answer the "are there any red flags?" question...I saw it on interview feedback several times and it came up in my interview....I think the purpose behind it is so that there are no surprises when your interviewer is presenting your application to the adcom (they'll be able to explain any oddities or "red flags" in your app to them)....
-tx
txguy said:Just be yourself and know specifically why you want to attend NYMC...also, be prepared to answer the "are there any red flags?" question...I saw it on interview feedback several times and it came up in my interview....I think the purpose behind it is so that there are no surprises when your interviewer is presenting your application to the adcom (they'll be able to explain any oddities or "red flags" in your app to them)....
-tx
Hey txguy, what are you doing over here??? Please don't tell me you are still considering NYMC!!
G0S2 said:Hey txguy, what are you doing over here??? Please don't tell me you are still considering NYMC!!
LOL
Just giving out advice, since I was accepted at NYMC! You'll see me at UTHSCSA for sure! I'm stayin in Texas
-tx
MD Rapper said:It seems like a lot of people got invites today... i wonder whats going on over there...
you're at georgetown in the smp program, right? do you know if a lot of people in the program got nymc invites today? i thought i heard someone talking about it during one of the classes. thanks man.
Elphie said:I interviewed there and liked it. The students I spoke with were happy and there were many aspects of the school I liked. I don't know why it gets constantly degraded on SDN. Sure it's not a top 20 school, but it's a US accredited allopathic medical school. It's not like there are thousands of those! 😉
My experience was really positive; I liked the school and so did the students I talked to Yea, they were stressed but isn't that what med school is all about? 😛
CharlieVN said:I just got invited to interview today...but lookin at the responses in this thread...it doesn't seem like its worth it 🙁
it'd generally worthy of an interview, but if you're set on Wake, then don't bother.
MD Rapper said:Yeah, I heard of 3 or 4 people in our program getting interviews today... I wonder if it was a big wave of invites for SMP students in particular or for the applicant pool in general...
gotcha. well crap... hopefully whatever kind of wave it was/is, it will be continuing tomorrow or in the near future.
to add my input, i liked the school a lot when i interviewed there last year. i know some students that go there, and i don't think that they're any less happy than students i know at other schools. the facilities are really nice and they do prepare their students really well for the boards and for placing in good residency programs. it shows in their students' match results. my only gripe, admissions-wise, is that they take FOREVER to get you a decision. when they say 8-12 weeks, they're sure as hell not lying.
DonnyV17 said:I was just wondering if anyone was considering goin to NYMC in the fall.... because I am.. im waiting on 3 schools still to give me a decission, but for some reason, i really really liked NYMC..... 🙂
Sounds like you had a really good vibe at NYMC--I say go with your gut! 👍
-tx
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
camisho said:Hey guys I just got an interview there...any advice...anything of note?
I just had my interview in late january. I liked the school and the students did not seem miserable as everyone on student doctor network has been saying. The board scores are on average 4-6 points above the national average. Obviously this school really gives its students a good education and there are many clinical opportunities in ritzy hospitals as well as in underserved areas in the city. The negative aspect of the school for me is the dorm housing but I am sure I could get over that if I were to be accepted.
Try to go to the interview with an open mind. You might be surprised and really like it.
I hope this helps. Good luck! 🙂
Similar threads
- Replies
- 3
- Views
- 815
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 687
- Replies
- 1
- Views
- 563