Nymc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

autumnleaves

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do you guys think of this school? Is it underrated?

Members don't see this ad.

why isn't this school ranked high on most applicant's list? When i interviewed there, i was really impressed with their board scores and the match. And it's only 30 minutes away from the city by train.

i personally think this school is underrated
but just my opinion

they seem to match really well
which is what really impressed me

i remember in college
everyone thought that nymc and drexel (hanehmann) were the worst med schools in terms of ranking or in terms of whatever
so all the not so great premed students like myself would always say "i just want to get in to nymc"

now looking back
i don't know why everyone has this really bad impression of that school

it is the closest (non-nyc) med school to nyc
which is what i think appeals to many
for me, this is closest school i interviewed at to nyc
none of the nyc med schools have offered me interviews
location is really important for me (especially being close to nyc- my home)

but even not considering location
i really dont think that people have the correct impression of this school (including myself in the past)

anyone know why?
or was it just the undergrad i went to seem to have a really bad impression of nymc

Members don't see this ad :)
its not regarded very highly here in cali and from the other students ive met at other med schools while on inteviews and just randomly....

plus i just never liked it too much cause it was damn expensive...i almost fainted when i heard the cost of that place from my friend who interviewed there....

but one thing that i heard was cool was the new childrens hospital they were building there with the amusement park theme to it....

but one thing i do know is that the students arent bad or anything...a lot of them are just students that didnt get into the uber competitive UCs....and hence their nickname UC Valhalla...

New Children's Hospital opens June 1st, with separate ER's for children and adults. As a volunteer at the hospital, I've heard some great things about the new place...aquarium overhead as you walk in, Microsoft is building an entire room that talks to the kids...
I'm not sure of the reputation around here, as a grad student I have no complaints, and would not mind going to med school here at all. The facilities are very good, and the faculty that I've been exposed to thus far is also solid(with a few exceptions). I like the med students I have met too, and the fact that it's just a med/grad school, no undergrad distractions.

Originally posted by jlee9531

plus i just never liked it too much cause it was damn expensive...i almost fainted when i heard the cost of that place from my friend who interviewed there....

hi, i wasn't aware that it was priced much differently from most other med schools. am i wrong on that?

No, it's not priced too differently from other private med schools. You can look for a thread on cost where NYMC is compared to other schools based on tuition. When I interviewed there, they gave us a financial aid presentation. They are pretty proud of their financial aid staff and programs. I guess they have a really low rate of defaultment (is that the word? people not paying their loans back) because they have such a great staff that works with you beyond graduation. So because of this low rate, they can provide students with really good packages (because loaners like them).

I am a cali resident, and a lot of people that I have talked with including other applicants and a bunch of med students say that they have heard really great things about NYMC and they have a really gread matching list. My student host who was from a UC, said that she knew several students at NYMC, including herself, who picked NYMC over a UC.

Some things about the school that were appealing to me:

1. awesome facilites esp. gross anatomy lab. The lab is on the fourth floor, instead of all hidden away, and has great ventiliation and all of these skylights. I also really apreciated how the tour guides (med students) made a point to talk about how important it was to NYMC students and faculty to be very respectful of the cadavers. Also, although there are new facilites, they have a lot of beautiful, old buildings.

2. big sense of community with a diverse student body. my student host picked me up with a bunch of fellow students and they were having a lot of fun.

3. 30 min to NYC and students get to pick whether to rotate in Valhalla or move to Manhattan. This I think is unique and very awesome. You could also choose to do a mixture of both.

4.I interviewed with the dean of students, and she seemed really awesome.

Things I don't like too much:
1. In the Catholic tradition and is affiliated with some catholic hospitals that are technically not allowed to prescribe contraceptives or perform abortions (in defense: the MS4 that talked to us, said that in all of the years that he had been attending the school, he hadn't felt the influence and you can choose to do your rotations at other hospitals, i.e. ob/gyn)

2. private school tuition.

3. The MS4 said that the matching for rotations between Valhalla and Manhattan is a little disorganized, but he has always seen things work out.

4. Cold!!!!

I agree that this school is underrated. The facilities are really great and the match list and board scores are really fantastic too, although students ultimately have to work harder to attain those than students at top schools. The area is not bad and it's proximity to NYC is great. Even better, students can live in NYC during the 3rd/4th years. They have some great affiliate hospitals such as St. Vincents and Westchester Med Center. The interviews were really easy and they have a really great financial aid coordinator/program. Sure, it's expensive, but it is a private school. They're all expensive, right?

My one gripe about the interview day was that I didn't get too many positive vibes from the student body. One of my tour guides was great and I could tell he genuinely loved the school. The other one, however, seemed like she was basically programmed to seem excited about the school and I had a hard time believing her enthusiasm. None of the students - aside from the guides - bothered to talk to any of us on the tour and I didn't really get the same sense of community that I did from the student body at other schools.

Although it is not my top choice school, I would still be glad to attend and I think it would be a great place to learn medicine. Good luck to everyone who will be interviewing there. (If you get Dr. Singh, the interview will be amazing!)

I'm a first year in enrolled in the med and public health schools at NYMC, and I have to say I really love it here. The facilities (esp. the anatomy lab) rule, and the campus is gorgeous. I don't really want to live in the city, but I appreciate being close to it if I need it, so the arrangement works well for me. Also, I think my classmates are pretty cool too, so there isn't really much that I have to complain about here.

I'd be happy to answer questions about the school, but my experience is limited, as I've only been here for four months.

cheers all, and good luck with your aps!
:horns:

really my only negative on the interview was the housing facility. going back to living in a dorm with 4 random people wasn't too appealing. other than that, i agree with all of the positives of the previous posts.

I had a really bad impression of NYMC before I went there. I dunno, my mom had just heard a professor gripe about his students and that gave me a bad impression. though putting it in perspective, my parents (high school teachers) gripe about their students in general all the time even though there are some great kids in their classes. And when I was TAing, we'd always gripe about our students (it was a lab, so we taught, it wasn't just grading) even though we had some wonderful students.

Anyway, when I went there I was definitely impressed. I liked the respect they had for their cadavers, the anatomy lab was fantastic, the students liked the school, it felt a bit like home (I grew up in NY suburbs, in Rockland County, right across the Hudson). I'm not sure how well they match up with residencies, but I do know that Westchester Medical is a fantastic hospital (I'm not sure how it compares to other major medical facilities, like Bellevue, though? Any ideas?).

It's at the bottom of my list of schools I would love to attend (I prefer a city atmospher), but it is still on the list.

Originally posted by medstylee
The facilities are really great and the match list and board scores are really fantastic too

What exactly are their average board scores.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by exmike
What exactly are their average board scores.

I remembered the 4th year student giving us a talk mentioned their avg board score is 236 or in the 230ish, which is 10+ pts aboe avg.......

Originally posted by tsunamo
I remembered the 4th year student giving us a talk mentioned their avg board score is 236 or in the 230ish, which is 10+ pts aboe avg.......

Is that right? considering Case is 225 and Sinai is 228, i find that hard to believe. Average is closer to 215 by the way.

yeah, the board scores were definately above average. I think their curriclum structure promotes high board scores because they take mini-boards (written by the same people) so they get an idea of how the questions are written.

Do other schools take these?

exmike - - - Hi.. Did you get my email.. I emailed you two times..
Just checking to see if you got it ..

For having such high board scores, NYMC doesn't seem to match well for the competitive specialties...dermatology, optho, oto. For family medicine, internal medicine, they do pretty well.

I think Wright state is probably "worse" than Drexel or NYMC. It probably doesn't get classified as a "bottom" tier school because it's ranked and is a state institution. What do you guys think?

Originally posted by jlee9531
its not regarded very highly here in cali and from the other students ive met at other med schools while on inteviews and just randomly....

but one thing that i heard was cool was the new childrens hospital they were building there with the amusement park theme to it....

but one thing i do know is that the students arent bad or anything...a lot of them are just students that didnt get into the uber competitive UCs....and hence their nickname UC Valhalla...

Yes, one of the interviewees I met at Albany mentioned the same thing. NYMC takes so many UC students that the dorms are nicknamed UC Valhalla. That and they have a wierd smell to them.

Originally posted by snowbear

I am a cali resident, and a lot of people that I have talked with including other applicants and a bunch of med students say that they have heard really great things about NYMC and they have a really gread matching list. My student host who was from a UC, said that she knew several students at NYMC, including herself, who picked NYMC over a UC.

i know that NYMC is a solid medical school, but I really doubt that any medical student would have chosen NYMC over a UC, especially a ca resident. that would go beyond any rational logic.

Originally posted by antoniodlc
i know that NYMC is a solid medical school, but I really doubt that any medical student would have chosen NYMC over a UC, especially a ca resident. that would go beyond any rational logic.

Why because of ratings, tuition? A number of applicants pick private schools over public for a variety of reasons. With financial aid, a private school could become comprable in price, or in some cases, cheaper. NYMC has awesome clinical training, a huge network of affiliated hospitals in very diverse enviroments from very rich areas in Conn to very poor, underserved areas in Manhattan. Westchester medical center is awesome and the school facilities top any others that I have seen. And they have a lot of research opp.s What if a Cali applicant really clicked with the school, or wanted to live near NYC? I think your comment is pretty shallow. I hate to break it to you but for Cali residents, there are med. schools out of the UC system. I, myself, am making sure to check out other schools. I am sorry u have such a narrow view of med edu.

Where can you find schools' avg board scores?

thanks a lot-

my interviewer told me that the avg scores for the school are almost always around 10 points higher than the national avg.

any thoughts on comparing nymc to drexel? anyone have experiences at both places?

Originally posted by snowbear
With financial aid, a private school could become comprable in price, or in some cases, cheaper.
This is true for undergrad, but NOT true for private medical colleges. Unless you are a URM, you generally pay full (35,000+) tuition at all medical colleges.

I'm interviewing on Jan 8, and I was wondering how long before you know you're in?

ugh - they say it takes anywhere from 10-12 weeks at least. my tour guide said she interviewed in early october and didn't hear back until late january. really sucks!

so, hopefully you'd hear by april.

good luck

right. i interviewed early october and still haven't heard!

That's a good question actually... I always wonder why NYMC doesn't have a great reputation. I actually stumbled upon this thread because I was trying to see what others have heard about NYMC.

I can say that after being here for four years, I liked the school a lot. And yes, the board score is traditionally well above the national average - I can't tell you the figures for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's more than Mount Sinai's or New York University's. May partially have to do with the fact that most students here do feel the need to study harder to return to California or to enter a more competitive residency. (Don't worry... I don't think there are more gunners here than other med school. I've heard worse stories.)

Originally posted by kyra201
That's a good question actually... I always wonder why NYMC doesn't have a great reputation.

Academic elitism is the top reason.

Solid match list
Solid board scores (100% pass, above average)
Solid teaching
Excellent facilities
Great location
Research department growing in reputation
On-site hospital
New children's hospital about to open
Years 3-4 can be spent in NYC

Originally posted by idq1i
Academic elitism is the top reason.

Solid match list
Solid board scores (100% pass, above average)
Solid teaching
Excellent facilities
Great location
Research department growing in reputation
On-site hospital
New children's hospital about to open
Years 3-4 can be spent in NYC

idq1i Question about how NYMC students get to go to NYC for 3&4.

Is it by lottery system? Do only the best (top half) students get to go? Is one allowed to "choose" where he/she goes? About how many students normally go to NYC? How long do they stay? Do they ever go to St vincents or only to metropolitan?

Yeah... well I guess elitism has to be it. I was thinking the whole bankruptcy thing for decades ago.

In terms of 3rd and 4th year, I don't know if Idqi can answer since he's a first year. The rotations in 3rd and 4th year are by lottery. First part is just the order of the rotations, which is by lottery. Near end of 2nd year you will hand in a list of where you woudl like to do each one of your 7 rotations. From what I understand, they try to place you at your top choices. It's a mix of lottery and actual working through the schedule.

So at the end of all this you usually get your top choices. If you do all your rotations at Westchester you probably get all your number one choice (since they have a fair number of spots there and a lot of people want to live in the city). They will make sure you get your top choices for a few of them, and I've only heard of a couple of people who got their 7th choice for one or two rotations. For the most part, people who are interested in having all rotations in the city do get some in WMC, Danbury (CT), Staten Island, Our Lady of Mercy (Bronx), etc etc. Usually most of them will be at metropolitan and St. Vincent's though. Plus, you can play the switching and waitlisting game.

Oh, and in case I misinterpretted it... In terms of housing, yes, it is a completely lottery system. It is pretty hard to get housing though. I actually know people with not so great numbers that eventually got into 95th street since quite a few people (mostly guys) said they need more spacious apartments.

Hope this answers all your question.

s it by lottery system? Do only the best (top half) students get to go? Is one allowed to "choose" where he/she goes? About how many students normally go to NYC? How long do they stay? Do they ever go to St vincents or only to metropolitan?

Oh yeah, forgot to answer some specific parts. No, they don't give you preference if you have better grades, as far as I know. Some like to hope so. Usually more than 1/2 the class normally go to NYC. So far if you got housing in 3rd year you get to stay in 4th year. There have been complaints but I don't think this will change anytime soon. And people marry, decide to move out, etc during 4th year so you do have a small chance of getting in 4th year. Those I know who go only to St. Vincents or only to Metropolitan is by choice. Most get a good variety.

Originally posted by BigRedPingpong
idq1i Question about how NYMC students get to go to NYC for 3&4.

Is it by lottery system? Do only the best (top half) students get to go? Is one allowed to "choose" where he/she goes? About how many students normally go to NYC? How long do they stay? Do they ever go to St vincents or only to metropolitan?

I couldn't tell you off the top of my head, but I know that the percentage is high. I'll find out, and bump up the thread on monday. The match is done by a computer lottery. There are a few scheduling options as well

Metropolitan hospital is primarily for internal medicine (indigent population). Students rotate through both

Originally posted by tsunamo

I agree with exmike that such a score seems rather high. The national average is between 215 and 220 every year and according to some webpage I was reading, above a 220 is generally considered very good for competitive residencies. I'm just wondering if it was really in the 230's...

Yeah, it sounds high, but like I have said in a previous posting, it is true that NYMC's average board score has routinely been 10+ points above the national average. I'm pretty sure that's the case for my class (2004) as well. I haven't heard the stats for the class below.