Nys compounding exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Member1230

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you automatically lose all points on the IV if the bottle that you were drawing the drug from started leaking? Even if everything else is done correctly?

Members don't see this ad.

They'll take off points, but from my review you don't lose all points. Depends on how much you leak. A drop to a few drops might cost you a bit, but I seriously don't think they'll take off all points for a little leak especially if you've done everything else right. I took a peak at their IV grading sheet, and it looked a lot like the ones used to grade us during wet lab at school, and leaks then weren't penalized too heavily.

Members don't see this ad :)
I couldn't because the bottle started to leak on me right after I insert the needle in. I'm ready to retake the exam...

What if I withdrew 10... and there was still fluid left in both of my vials! I'm freaking out -- I do not want to retake this test :( How many points do you think would be taken off for that? I hope not a full 20...

I glanced over at the IV grading sheet and saw two "10's" written in the spaces provided. Does anyone know what those meant??

Yeah, i got 10mL too. But after all the leakage, I think I had only a max of 8mL left. I'm so worried. There goes 20 points.

What if I withdrew 10... and there was still fluid left in both of my vials! I'm freaking out -- I do not want to retake this test :( How many points do you think would be taken off for that? I hope not a full 20...

I glanced over at the IV grading sheet and saw two "10's" written in the spaces provided. Does anyone know what those meant??

Well for the NS vial, based on my experience from work, they always put a little more fluid that they say there is. A 10 ml vial might have 11, a 20 might have 21 or 22, and so on.

And the booklet told us to reconstitute with 10 ml, so add that to the volume of the powder and you'll have more than 10 ml total in the vial. I had leftover fluid in the cubicin vial too.

Folks..

There were 2 sessions of the exam.
Morning and afternoon.
Even tho it was the same drug, the dose is different.

thats why u withdrew different of drug.

To be honest,,,I dont know why we have to get points deducted when it started leaking
as soon as u put in the needle.

If they used real needles (pink or purple) with NS, it shouldnt leak...
Just the state board or testing agency tried to save money.
so every item today they provided was not genuine products.
Thats why so many victims here now.

i mean,,,
i understand not using a real Cubicin, b/c that could cuase $200 for each vial.
But for needles and NaCl...come one.
we paid $205 for this test.

they could have done better than this.
if u worked at a hospital IV room. you prob noticed....
NS vials never leak unless u put excessive air.

Well for the NS vial, based on my experience from work, they always put a little more fluid that they say there is. A 10 ml vial might have 11, a 20 might have 21 or 22, and so on.

And the booklet told us to reconstitute with 10 ml, so add that to the volume of the powder and you'll have more than 10 ml total in the vial. I had leftover fluid in the cubicin vial too.

Thank you- I can now sleep a little better tonight. As for the ointment, were you guys able to incorporate all of the orange drug into the ointment? I mean I had a consistent color but I still had little specks. Let alone, after all of this, I realized towards the end of the exam that I was using the wrong amount of base because I forgot to weigh the tablets. Awesome. How many points do you think that is?

Do you automatically lose all points on the IV if the bottle that you were drawing the drug from started leaking? Even if everything else is done correctly?

No, you will not lose all of the 20 points for the IV from a leak.

You will lose all the points on the IV if you used the wrong drug. Since that means you may have potentially killed your patient.

As long as you used the Cubicin (daptomycin) vial, then you had a good shot at getting most of the 20 points.

Last edited:
The needles and vials were all fine. If you have good technique from making IV's at work in a hospital, there should have been no leaks. Even a 23G needle would have been fine.

In lab, they generally teach that if you need 10ml of solution, to pull 10ml of "air" into the syringe first before inserting the needle into the vial so that you have equal pressure. You should always pull a little bit less air in the syringe so that the vial will have negative pressure and will prevent leakage.

For this exam, to guarantee no leaks, you could have inserted only 8-9ml of air into the NS vial and pulled out 10ml. Or, another thing you could have done was after you put the NS into the Cubicin, draw up a little more than 10ml of air out of the Cubicin vial. Finally, if you needed 9.6ml (if you were in the AM exam at St. John's), you could have inserted only like 8-9ml of air back into the Cubicin before pulling out your dose. It's all about negative pressure!

The IV for this exam required more careful technique than usual but I think it's because this exam was generally easier than June's so they made some parts of the exam challenging.

Members don't see this ad :)
A good number of people definitely chose the dactinomycin vial. I remember seeing a few in the garbage in the IV room and others realized their mistake after the exam.... :(

A good number of people definitely chose the dactinomycin vial. I remember seeing a few in the garbage in the IV room and others realized their mistake after the exam.... :(

That sucks- I saw the same.

Does anyone know for the last question in the capsules section.. along with the NDC and Lot # if they asked for whole tablets or the exact amount of tablet used?

For one of the errors and omissions, I pointed out a technical error instead of a therapeutic one. Does anyone know if they will still grant me points for that question?

you have to mention here
specifically what question you are talking about..
and what answer u put.

so that others can answer your question.

For the testosterone pump, instead of pointing out "apply to scrotum" is incorrect, I pointed out that in the direction on the label "one pumpful" is missing because the label said "apply to scrotum" only. Would they still grant points for that?

Well there's only one error/omission per Error & Omission. So your answer would imply that the patient should apply it to his scrotum...

For the testosterone pump, instead of pointing out "apply to scrotum" is incorrect, I pointed out that in the direction on the label "one pumpful" is missing because the label said "apply to scrotum" only. Would they still grant points for that?

I remember reading in the test booklet that there is only ONE error or omission for each question but then again, I may be wrong and there may be two answers for special situation(s).

That test was super stressful. I hope we all pass!

amen,,

hopefully we all pass.

what was the passing rate for jun 2012 exam?
I heard it was way more BRUTAL
than the test we just took.

the exam letter from castle says
grading takes 6-8 weeks.

But my friend who took last time said,,4 weeks
until something arrived in mail.

any clue??

p.s. is there curving for compounding exam??
(there is curve for NAPLEX and MPJE)

amen,,

hopefully we all pass.

what was the passing rate for jun 2012 exam?
I heard it was way more BRUTAL
than the test we just took.

the exam letter from castle says
grading takes 6-8 weeks.

But my friend who took last time said,,4 weeks
until something arrived in mail.

any clue??

p.s. is there curving for compounding exam??
(there is curve for NAPLEX and MPJE)
In June, 2012 the NY State passing rate was around ~65%. It normally does not take the full 6-8 weeks for the results but I heard that there have been lay-offs for the state board and they are short-handed. With that in mind, I wouldn't be surprised if it takes the full 6-8 weeks.

There's no curving but I heard that they may throw out 1 or 2 questions and that some questions on the exam are "test" questions. I wouldn't put my hope in that though. If you fail, there's a review session that you can go to and defend your answers using credible sources and receive some partial credit to help you out.

I did the same thing too. I thought i read that you write down ONE error (even say if you see two). I'm not sure if they said each rx has at most one error.

on the second profile, I stated that the patient is at increased risk of myopathy and myalgia because he is starting on the largest dose of zocor.I also stated that as in eldery patient, this makes him at even a higher risk.I recommended starting at the lower doses and monitoring his enzymes or use a different class of hyperlipidemic meds.Do u guys think that this is okay because I didn`t mention anything about verapamil.

How do you monitor the enzymes?

Is that a lab test?

Actually ur answer itself looks okay. b/c the dose was wrong anyway.

What did u say for the profile #1?

How many "dispense as written" did u get for error and omission.??

on the second profile, I stated that the patient is at increased risk of myopathy and myalgia because he is starting on the largest dose of zocor.I also stated that as in eldery patient, this makes him at even a higher risk.I recommended starting at the lower doses and monitoring his enzymes or use a different class of hyperlipidemic meds.Do u guys think that this is okay because I didn`t mention anything about verapamil.

You should be okay for writing Simvastatin dose is too high; thus, causing higher risk of myopathy

The second part for recommendation requires you to know the following:
See the following link on FDA dose restrictions on Simvastatin:

http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/ucm256581.htm

In the recommendation, I stated that the patient should start on the lower doses of zocor but I forgot that zocor comes in 10 mg so I said he should start on 20 mg OR 40 MG.I guess 40 mg is not right then.I didn`t know about the FDA recommendation to use only 20 mg.So do u think they will consider the whole recommendation wrong because I stated 40 mg.

For the first profile, I stated that as a pregnant woman she can`t take a live vaccine

I found one daw for suboxone.I said no errors on the testrogel either but that was wrong.How about u guys

For the first profile, we had to recommend changing it to Fluzone (inactivated vaccine).
For the second profile, the MAX dose of simvastatin is 10mg due to the verapamil the patient is taking.

For the first profile, we had to recommend changing it to Fluzone (inactivated vaccine).
For the second profile, the MAX dose of simvastatin is 10mg due to the verapamil the patient is taking.

This is correct. For the second profile, I recommended the switch from Simvastatin to Pravastatin. I hope that is an acceptable answer too.

I just said to change to a lower dose of simvastatin but I didn't specify the dose,do you think they will accept that? Also for the flumist, I just said to switch to an alternate form of vaccine...

guys,do u think the storm will delay the results. Did anyone try calling the board?The waiting is driving me crazy

guys,do u think the storm will delay the results. Did anyone try calling the board?The waiting is driving me crazy
A "delay" in receiving the results would mean we would get it in early March. Technically, they did say that it will take 6-8 weeks.

You would have to call castle. From what I've heard the results are in..also heard LIU did the best on the exam. Castle has the results in their hands so now they have to generate letters and send them out.

it seems like only references availalbe is by book. can i bring in a laptop and stuff? I'm so disappointed

Do you know how many points they received back? I mean 3 points is kinda alot to get back if it's even possible

Got an 88. I'm not sure what above posters are talking about, but we had "real" NS and needles to use. Obviously the Cubicin was not. I would like to know what I got right/wrong and what the correct answers were, but there's obviously no point in going to a challenge session for me.