NYU and specializing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

student4ever

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted to know what people out there think about NYU in terms of having a good name out there to let its graduates get into specialty programs after D-school ?

I know that the boards are the most important factor, but school name also matters- so how is NYU ?

Members don't see this ad.

I wanted to know what people out there think about NYU in terms of having a good name out there to let its graduates get into specialty programs after D-school ?

I know that the boards are the most important factor, but school name also matters- so how is NYU ?

This is just my opinion...but I think that in terms of specializing, NYU would be a spectacular place to start. Reason: opportunity. At one of my interviews (this wasn't NYU) the dean said that in order to specialize you need at least these following four things: great grades in dental school (i.e. class rank), great board scores, research, and leadership. NYU might not be able to offer the individual instruction that other schools do, but their resources are unparalleled (in my opinion): research, diverse patient pop. and quantity, outreach programs, etc.

So in regard to NYU, I don't think it will be the name so much that allows you to specialize, it's what you can participate in while you are there.

Again, this is just my opinion.

Doesn't matter, whatsoever!

This is just my opinion...but I think that in terms of specializing, NYU would be a spectacular place to start. Reason: opportunity. At one of my interviews (this wasn't NYU) the dean said that in order to specialize you need at least these following four things: great grades in dental school (i.e. class rank), great board scores, research, and leadership. NYU might not be able to offer the individual instruction that other schools do, but their resources are unparalleled (in my opinion): research, diverse patient pop. and quantity, outreach programs, etc.

So in regard to NYU, I don't think it will be the name so much that allows you to specialize, it's what you can participate in while you are there.

Again, this is just my opinion.

From talking to D1 students, the attendance rate sounds like you will have an excellent individual attention. Hardly anyone attends lecture because it's all online. However, in lab, that may be a different story.