NYU Anesthesiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gasgodess

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone has any comments on program? Anyone heard anything negative from their residents?

Members don't see this ad.

When I interviewed there last year, I heard almost nothing negative from the residents. The only real drawback from their perspective was the cost of living. Apartments in Manhattan are outrageously expensive. Many commute from Brooklyn. There is some subsidized housing available, in Manhattan, but this brings rent down from about $3200/month to $2700/month and preference is given to married couples with kids. They claim that the $60,000 starting salary is to compensate for this. Seriously.

Most residents that I spoke to are thrilled to be in NYC. They love the area and activities that can be found there. Program seemed very solid.

I don't know how someone can ask $3000+ for rent with a straight face. I'm not enthralled by big city so it wasn't attractive to me - especially as I have kids.

All in all it seems like an outstanding program with all the case variety you could want. If you are excited by big city living, this could be the program for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you , Gardner!
is it considered to be IMG-friendly?..

Thank you , Gardner!
is it considered to be IMG-friendly?..

HELL, NO!

It IS however, very Columbia-, Cornell-, Duke-, Johns Hopkins-, Harvard- friendly. One of the 20 people I interviewed with was from Oklahoma. The others were all properly pedigreed.

Pedigree was important from what I could tell. However, I do remember talking to a resident in the OR during a case who went to med school in Alabama. It just seemed like all of the applicants and majority of residents I met were from big name schools.

I guess you should just see what happens.