SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

NYU/ Case

Discussion in 'Physician Scientists' started by waiting3309, Apr 11, 2007.

1. waiting3309

waiting3309 2+ Year Member

Jan 29, 2007
    I'm trying to make up my mind between Case Western and NYU (who ever thought I'd get to pick!) - and I'm stuck! I'm thinking I'd rather go to NYU, even though Case has a historically better PhD program. I've always lived in the midwest, and would like a change of scenery, and was really impressed by the people in the NYU program... but Case Western may have better research (I've been around Case so long I'm not so sure if I can make a reasonable judgement.) On the other hand, I know relatively nothing about NYU... is there anything I need to look out for? I spent a total of about 18 hours in New York for the interview. Does anyone have any suggestions? Know anything about NYU?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. SpeakLittleB

SpeakLittleB Member 7+ Year Member

Apr 28, 2006
    Boston, MA
    i'm not sure but i think for these schools, they're each strong in particular areas. nyu has one of the best developmental biology programs in the nation (my planned phd area) and also it has the courant institute which is an internationally acclaimed applied math institute. so if you're interested in either of those areas, nyu would be the place to be.

4. vector07

vector07 Junior Member 5+ Year Member

Apr 6, 2006
    Tough choice.. I won't say much because I don't know anything about NYU. However, if you've grown up in the midwest, moving to NY will be a huge change. You might love it, you might hate it.. just remember that it's an experiment of 7-10 years, so you don't want to make a mistake! Also, others can chime in about how much this matters.. but I'm told academic inbreeding can reflect poorly on the individual and/or the institution. So maybe it would be better to get out of cleveland for a change.

5. Circumflex

Circumflex Junior Member 10+ Year Member

Mar 6, 2006
    I don't know much about the NYU MSTP, but I did a neuropathology elective there back in the Fall and I enjoyed my time there. In addition to the excellent developmental biology program, they are also strong in neuroscience.

Aside from the change of scenery and fresh perspective, New York offers so many resources. If you wanted to collaborate or learn a different technique, you have Columbia, Cornell, The Rockefeller, Memorial Sloan Kettering, and other institutions there in town.

6. Dr.Watson

Dr.Watson 2+ Year Member

Oct 11, 2006
  7. waiting3309

Jan 29, 2007
    Thanks everybody! I was getting worried - I'd heard some horror stories about a rotten PhD program, and an exodus of people from the neuro department, although I didn't see any of it... Has anyone else heard that, or is it Case's pitch to get me to go there instead? Yeah, hoping for the second look! I'm not sure if I found out about it in time to go. I had no doubts about the MSTP, really, I was more worried about the grad school!

What does everyone else think about the "academic inbreeding" issue?

8. sciencewonk

sciencewonk 7+ Year Member

Oct 14, 2006
    which department are you interested in? different schools are strong in different programs.

another consideration is the cost of living - they are going to be very different depending on which city you go to.

9. waiting3309

Jan 29, 2007
    I'm thinking neuro/ developmental... I know NYU is good for developmental biology, but I don't really know anything about their neuro department. Does anyone else?

10. waiting3309

Jan 29, 2007
    oops... hit post twice!

11. gbwillner

gbwillner Pastafarian Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

First, If you think that Case's PhD is much better than NYU- you should really go there. the PhD years are far more important than the MD years, because MD training is pretty much the same wherever you go, but the PhD portion is highly variable. If the right faculty are at Case- you really need to go there. Save NYC for residency.

Regarding "inbreeding"- This is only a minor factor but a real one. However, going from undergrad to med school at the same institution is not "academic inbreeding" and no one will care. The issue comes into play later during your residency/fellowship/postDoc.

12. waiting3309

Jan 29, 2007
    I wish I knew which was better! I think I've heard some horror stories from someone at Case that hated the city (for some reason made her feel really sick) - I wish I knew if it was true or not!

Anyone here from NYU?

Thanks for the thought on the "academic inbreeding" thing, too. That's what I thought!

13. Circumflex

Circumflex Junior Member 10+ Year Member

Mar 6, 2006
    I did an elective at NYU. You should check out Alexandra Joyner's website (google) - she is an amazing developmental neurobiologist and a Howard Hughes Investigator.