NYU Classmates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey everyone. For those of you who are looking for off campus apartments, I was told to get a Net ID and log onto HYU's home site. They have a housing registry for people who are looking for roommates and apartments. I found it helpful, but there are a lot of apartments to look through and many of them are already taken. Anyway, check it out. Also, where else are people looking and how far away from campus? I found some places where the owner is trying to put people together for 2 or 3 bedrooms. I am looking for a roommate as well. If anyone is interested, please let me know.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,
I have a laptop for sale, I got it off a "going out of business sale" for $950 plus the tax but I am selling it for $950 only. It is brand new and the box has not been opened yet. I found a cheaper used laptop and decided to go with that.
this is :
Gateway 400 vtx
Pentium-4 2.0 GHZ
20 Gig hard drive
258 Ram
24 X DVD/CDRW combo
15" screen
Floppy drive
2 usb ports
6 months AOL
Microsoft XP Professional

The same system on the Gateway site goes for $1150 plus the tax which will be around $1250.

But the catch is you have to pick it up from Los Angeles, I am not going to ship it.

Hey guys,
I will also be joining the classs of 2007 at NYU. I was just wondering if anyone had any idea of what a typical daily schedule looked like.. ie class hours,
let me know
thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Been wondering the same thing. I guess soon enough it will be posted on Albert.

any nyu dent students wanna make friends with a first year columbia dent student?
i have a feeling i won't like my incoming class.
im me.
teefpulla!

hey everyone--

i have a few questions, perhaps someone has some info.

1- correct me if im wrong, but orientationis thursday and friday aug. 14-15. then we get a week off before classes start?

2- anyone ever been in or know someone who has lived in he 26th st. dorms? i know we get our own bedrooms.... but does anyon have any info on the size of our rooms? is there space to bring a bookcase or some shelves?

just some things im thinking about-

thanks everyone- see you in a few weeks

sadeq

I think it runs until the 22nd bec it says we need to bring a cart the week of the 18th to get our instruments.

I'm only planning to have 3 days off. Just enough time for a good hike up Slide Mtn.

Hey Teefpulla, I'll be your friend!!!

Hey guys,
I'm going to be joining you at nyu in august. Just got my assignment for the 26th Street apts... Excited to meet everyone. Can someone please clue me in on what Albert is and how I can access it? i haven't heard about it, and apparently our schedule is on there or something? Thanks.

Meg:)

Yes FINALLY!!! It works!! I've been trying to write on this forum for so friggin long, but for some reason it wasn't working on my old computer. But now that I have my new laptop, all fresh and clean and ready for the brand new school year... everything's all good!

So here's the moment you've all been waiting for... yes... I know you have all been repeatedly checking the forums for my messages... anxiously awaiting my reply... the never-ending days and the sleepless nights... hours on end staring with blood shot eyes... drifting away and helplessly falling deep into the pixelated realm that is your computer monitor while life as you know it passes you by, just in anticipation of which school Inspect-her Gag (which is supposed to be read as GAJ, pronouncing the second 'g' like the one in giant, spelled that way because Inspect-her Gadget wouldn't fit, so I had to shorten it to Gad, but that didn't make any sense, so I thought Gag would have been sufficient, later to only realize that Gag could also be pronounced like gag, as in the Gag-reflex you get when something touches the back of your throat, but it was too late to go back and fix it, hense this long explanation) would attend.

Ok ok.... can you tell? I'm back home living with my parents, and all my friends are either still in school, have full-time jobs, or are studying for the MCAT.... so here I am writing a novel on the Student Doctor Network... and I'm sure if you've gotten this far... you're either REALLY interested in what I have to say, in which case I thank you very much for your time, or you're just as bored as I am...

.... I think I'll go with my second guess....

Well.. to make an already long story, longer.... I, as well, will be attending NYU Dental starting in a few weeks! How exciting!!! Really.. I'm getting really excited.... New York, dental school, moving from the west coast to the east coast.... big big changes ahead....

and.... to start off the new school year with the new class... I'd like to announce that I'll be throwing a party at my place....

(just keep in mind I'll be staying at 26th street.... sooo... considering the stories I've heard on THIS forum, it might be standing room only)

It would be a great way for students to get better aquainted with each other, away from the prying eyes of NYU teachers and faculty.

Yeah? Whaddaya guys think... personally.... I think it would be really cool!...

But.... actually... considering I have no clue what any of us are getting into, with the whole dental school thing and all, how about we just check out orientation before making any big party plans...

...on secondhand.... how about I see what my new place looks like and who my roommates are before making any plans for a party...I heard those apartments are real small and crappy...

....you know what.... forget I even said anything... I heard something about a BOOZE CRUISE during orientation... that should be mighty fun enough... how about we just go to that and call it even.... and how about I just shut up now and..... well... yeah... that's it... :D

Well, either way... thanks for listening.... see y'all soon.... I'll be back again tomorrow night.... try the fish and please tip your waitresses....

Hey Everyone,
I used to be on here a lot a year ago- but haven't checked in a while. I was in your shoes a year ago- I am getting ready to start my second year at NYU. If you all need anything answered about money, housing, school, etc., I would be happy to help out. I was there a year ago- and I know I had lots of questions. Good luck with starting the year.
By the way- the money situation is definitely tight... you have to watch your budget for sure!

Hi Brianm74

I was just accepted off the waiting list at NYU for this coming term. I had just about given up hope for this year and therefore didn't make any inquiries about student issues from upper classmen.

If you don't mind I'll take you up on your offer and ask some questions - Thanks:

What's the first term like? Which courses are given? Is there a transcription service for class notes? If so, how does it work? Are there old test banks available to students either officially or unofficially? Anything else that you can advise that you know the adminst. won't tell us that can be of help to me? As far as the computer requirements : any special advise on that? +pissed+

Thank you,

Steven

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey - how is it going and congrats on the acceptance. Here are the answers to your questions.

What's the first term like?
The first term is actually pretty slow-paced. It starts out with Biochem, Cell Bio, Histo, and Dental Anatomy +lab, plus all other required courses (Ethics, etc). Second semester really picks up with Gross Anatomy, Physio, Embryo, Oral Bio, etc. Plus, Operative Dentistry kicks in.

Is there a transcription service for class notes? If so, how does it work?
The transcription service depends on your class as a whole. It is the responsibility of the class to get it up and running. Ours ran pretty smoothly. During orientation, there will be upper classmen to speak to your class about getting it started and how it is done. Transcripts are the best thing ever!!!!

Are there old test banks available to students either officially or unofficially? There are plenty of choices for old exams... Things will float around - you will see once you get in the classes.

As far as the computer requirements : any special advise on that?
I chose the IBM T30. That was just a personal opinion. Many people chose Dell- it is what you want. It just needs to have a DVD drive since all text books are on a DVD.

Good luck!

Hi Brianm74:

I too am an NYU student with a couple of questions. What happens if you get stuck all year long sitting in front of a loud classmate that complains that she can't see the board or hear the professor?

hahaha...hey, just got back from ikea and billie picked out a shower curtain. wasn't a big fan of it, so direct all complaints to her...

Hey NYU Classmates,

Whats the deal with "appropriate professional attire" for orientation? Are we talking suits (similar to interview dress wear) or just a dress shirt and pants?

Steven :confused:

I wore khakis and polos and fit in great. No suits.

"appropriate professional attire" = business casual...

That sucks. So we'll have to wear semi-nice clothes and pants in this awful humidity???
How about a long skirt for a female?

Long skirts should be good enough. For guys, don't even bother with a tie. Just look nice and you'll fit in. On Monday, people all looked really formal and nice. But by the end of the week, you see more and more shorts and sandals.

:clap: ILL see all of you at NYU =) anyone rooming at 26th?

33 hours to orientation!! :wow:

So what are you guys and gals up to with 33 hours to go?

See you all soon!!

Steven

NYUCD 07 :cool:

Well I usually don't sleep past 7:30a but today I slept in till 10:30a :eek:

See you all Thurs Morn :clap:

Was there orientation today???

My train into the city is not running and I can't make it in :mad:

I'm so pissed off...I just hope they won't hold this againist me since I tried in good faith to get there this morning. What sucks its 7:30a and orientation is at 9:30a and its hopeless for me to get into the city.

The College was closed. I drove in Thursday afternoon just to be sure... (that was an exciting drive)

The generator couldn't provide power to the entire building and orientation was canceled.

See ya all on Monday bright and early!! :cool:

Steven

NYUCD2007