NYU college of dentistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
BBGUN said:
By packing off,do you mean terminating or failing ?That sentence is not too clear to me.I would appreciate your help on those words.
Thank you in advance

You'd fail the year if you fail in more than three subjects. But, there's a catch to it. You'd go through a college review board hearing where they'd determine if you had valid reasons for failing the subjects. They would then pass a decision on whether you'd be given another chance to repeat. If the review board hearing finds that you're basically incompetent, they'd just cut you off from the course.

You guys shouldnt worry about all this as yet but, there are some other *vicious cycles* you can get caught into. Namely, your eligibility for a stafford loan is for a 'stipulated time period' or in other words the normal duration that you'd be in the college (in our case 3 years). Any extensions like failures and repetitions do jeopardize the stafford loans for the extra year. And, lemme clarify that this is the case only for your stafford loans not for private loans.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! dr_hannibal,
I just wanted to know if u had any clue about how the waitlist for the advanced standing program works at nyu? it is soo vague and they have not given any order of waitlist. and what would be the chances of getting an admission, if u are waitlisted? they just said that they would consider depending on the number of drop outs and they could determine that even on the day school starts (which is aug 2nd).
do u have any idea how many drop outs where there the last year?
I would appreciate any reply in this regard.
thanks

SiMpLy IrReSiStAbLe said:
Hi! dr_hannibal,
I just wanted to know if u had any clue about how the waitlist for the advanced standing program works at nyu? it is soo vague and they have not given any order of waitlist. and what would be the chances of getting an admission, if u are waitlisted? they just said that they would consider depending on the number of drop outs and they could determine that even on the day school starts (which is aug 2nd).
do u have any idea how many drop outs where there the last year?
I would appreciate any reply in this regard.
thanks

I have a friend who got his admission 3 days before orientation. But, I'd have to ask him if he was wait listed prior to admission or not.
So many people who're selected do drop out and all I can say is, you still have time before the orientation.

Members don't see this ad :)
dr_hannibal said:

6] What do u personally think about how diificult the program is
It is very difficult especially the second year. It is gonna keep you very busy. And, to answer your next question, initially you wouln't possibly be able to find time to work (so it is gonna be extremely difficult to work part time while studying). You'd probably be giving close to a 70 exams totally for the year. So, you gotta be on your toes to maintain your gpa on a consistent basis. Also, nyu does pack students off if they fail in more than 3 subjects (they fail them for the year).

Dr.hannibal

thanx again for answering my questions

1) In the reply above I wanted to clarify whether you ment 2nd year of Advanced standing or regular DDS (4yr program).
2) The next question I had was during your stay in NYU till date how many students that you know of have had to pack their bags and leave? Just trying to get an average percent that don't make it.

dr_hannibal said:
I have a friend who got his admission 3 days before orientation. But, I'd have to ask him if he was wait listed prior to admission or not.
So many people who're selected do drop out and all I can say is, you still have time before the orientation.
Thank you for the reply.

just said:
thanx again for answering my questions

1) In the reply above I wanted to clarify whether you ment 2nd year of Advanced standing or regular DDS (4yr program).
2) The next question I had was during your stay in NYU till date how many students that you know of have had to pack their bags and leave? Just trying to get an average percent that don't make it.

The second year is the second year of the regular DDS and the first year for advanced placement students. There are quite a few people who'd be remediating or would be coming back next year. I wouldn't wanna put a number to this, at this time it would be enough for you to know that a *significant?* number have either left the course cuz they couldnt handle the stresses or had some family problems (includes reasons like death in the family or women who got pregnant etc) to attend to. There are also a few who have had a disciplinary hearing.

As a general information, students have to be extra careful during exams and even during those small quiz sessions during lectures ( the ethics committee takes all disciplinary issues very seriously and could very easily suspend a student for even *small* issues like asking for a pencil during a quiz from your neighbor or if they suspect you were sharing information with your fellow students during quizzes and exams).
What I'm trying to get at is, even if they find something suspicious in your actions, that'd call for an appointment with the ethics committee.

Dr. hannibal

Hello Dr.hannibal,
I really liked the way u have written abt NYU......thats kinda very encouraging.I will B joining NYU from this fall....Do u suggest me something .. What shud i do in my mean time back at home ..weather i shud study any books which u might have thought at that time .... ..How 2 B a gud student.....i mean studies wise and also in the eyes of proffesor and actaully i am very much interested in Research....how hard is it to be a research fellow.Do they give any chance to foriegn students to be a part of research?? And one more question....Is there any way that we can do volunteer job or paid job in NYU campus in dental offices..or it is just next to impossible because of the study loads....
I wud highly appreciate ur kind help.THANX!!
Dr.m_o_n_a :)

Dr.m_o_n_a said:
Hello Dr.hannibal,
I really liked the way u have written abt NYU......thats kinda very encouraging.I will B joining NYU from this fall....Do u suggest me something .. What shud i do in my mean time back at home ..weather i shud study any books which u might have thought at that time .... ..How 2 B a gud student.....i mean studies wise and also in the eyes of proffesor and actaully i am very much interested in Research....how hard is it to be a research fellow.Do they give any chance to foriegn students to be a part of research?? And one more question....Is there any way that we can do volunteer job or paid job in NYU campus in dental offices..or it is just next to impossible because of the study loads....
I wud highly appreciate ur kind help.THANX!!
Dr.m_o_n_a :)

plzz see ur Pm

hi
dr hannibal
i am new user
though i am in us from last two years
last year -for 2004 i applied in nyu but they rejected my application. i have preety good score in ndb part-1 and part-2.
but they thought my gpa is low
acc to IERF MY GPA IS 3.2 BUT ACC TO ECE IS LESS
MAY BE THIS IS THE REASON THEY REJECTED ME
NOW I WANT TO APPLY FOR THIS TIME,
DO U KNOW WHICH COLLEGES I HAVE TO APPLY
I DONT HAVE GREENCARDS

How about nyu. if i send my wes score, do they accept this and give me interview call?

keep in touch
i want to know more about nyu.
thanks

Mona,
I didnt see the headline the first time I read and was waiting for the 'message' to show up :rolleyes: .

Well b4 honouring me with the job, you should look into some of the facilities available at the university.
You'd be assigned a faculty mentor a few months after you've started your d2 course. You'd be amongst a group of 8-10 students assigned to the particular faculty mentor who'd call you over to his office for a pizza and/or some lunch where he'd discuss your career goals ( nuthin beats this offer, you get to pour your heart out, while you fill your stomach :D ). Your faculty mentor would be your guide through your stay at the college too. If you have a problem with anything in the college , you could contact him and he'd find a way out for you. Like for example, if you're finding some difficulty understanding some subject etc, he'd find you a tutor to help you with it.

Apart from this, when you enter clinics during the end of your D2 year (first yr for advanced standing program) and are assigned to one of the group practicie clinics, you'd also get a free senior mentor along with the clinic who'd help you with the teething problems that you might have (The paper work in the clinic is exhaustive, jus gotta have your friendly neighbourhood 'senior mentor' around and it'd become easy).

And the thrid, you're also welcome to join one of the student clubs. The ISDA (indian student dental association, NYUCD chapter) holds many hands on practical classes to help you with your practical work like crown cutting etc etc. They also hold a diwali bash and an eid party and also a few oral cancer screening camps. Well, there are other student groups like the hellenic student group (greek). And, by the way, you dont have to be indian to join the ISDA or greek to join the hellenic or italian to join the italian student group.

If all of this fails, you'd still have students like me :cool: around. BUt, the difference would be, you'd have to feed me (jus kidding).

Now for Chintuchintuchintu's question. Yes, NYU and also most of the US dental schools do accept WES reports. Good luck with your wait for an interview call.

DR. hannibal

Hello Dr. hannibal,
Thanx a billion for the excellent info. abt the school :thumbup: , this will be helping me alot in future!! :) I really appreciate that.And 1 more question for u is ........these days i am planning to buy a Laptop ...what do u suggest laptop shud be from gud branded company or there are many LapTops from different brands. What do u suggest ...does it really matter in a long run as i have the comp. at home?? And Wheather i shud buy a 15" or 17" because of the weight problem...as we have to carry much of the time when we are there in school...Anyways always thanx for the input.....C U soon in school!!
MONA :luck:

Dr.m_o_n_a said:
Hello Dr. hannibal,
Thanx a billion for the excellent info. abt the school :thumbup: , this will be helping me alot in future!! :) I really appreciate that.And 1 more question for u is ........these days i am planning to buy a Laptop ...what do u suggest laptop shud be from gud branded company or there are many LapTops from different brands. What do u suggest ...does it really matter in a long run as i have the comp. at home?? And Wheather i shud buy a 15" or 17" because of the weight problem...as we have to carry much of the time when we are there in school...Anyways always thanx for the input.....C U soon in school!!
MONA :luck:

It'd be a good idea to buy a laptop tht is light and one that runs on windows (2000 or XP). Sorry to disappoint all the Mac powerbook fans out there. Many of the software programs are not *mac compatible*.
Also, you'd wanna get something with an inbuilt wireless card ( you could very well buy a wireless card separately).
Dr. hannibal

hi dr_hannibal,
you are really putting so much information for all of us.
I also have one question about the notebook.
NYU recommend us to buy a notebook of Dell or IBM as the computer store at NYU mostly carry those two.
But I wanted to buy another brand like Sony or Compaq which fulfills all the requirements.
Is there anything special about Dell or IBM except their immediate service at computer store?
-smi

smi said:
hi dr_hannibal,
you are really putting so much information for all of us.
I also have one question about the notebook.
NYU recommend us to buy a notebook of Dell or IBM as the computer store at NYU mostly carry those two.
But I wanted to buy another brand like Sony or Compaq which fulfills all the requirements.
Is there anything special about Dell or IBM except their immediate service at computer store?
-smi

Well, lemme put it this way, I haven't yet seen the NYU computer and book store till date. Well, on this day and age, you could get hands on service anywhere and everywhere. Go ahead and buy whatever computer you wanna get. There's no particular advantage that an IBM or a Dell might have over the other computers that has dental implications to it.

Dr. hannibal