NYU Counseling Psych PhD Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

leikcaj

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know much about the NYU Counseling Psych PhD program - or the Department of Applied Psych in general? If you apply for the Counseling Psych Phd program, are you able to take courses and work with professors from the wider Applied Psych department as well? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed with that program a few years ago. My impression was that you would be expected to work with someone in the counseling psych program--those were the only faculty present during interviews. However, you could always call the department and ask.

As for courses, most programs will allow you to take electives in relevant areas outside of the department as long as you complete the requirements within the department.

Is NYU's Counseling Program losing accreditation, or only their Clinical Program?

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe it's only the clinical program. The counseling program is housed in the school of education.

Reviving the thread:

Does anyone have any opinion about the reputation of NYU's counseling PhD program? Does it have a good rep in the NYC area, are the students generally seen as well-trained and competent? Do they get externships fairly easily (especially given that there seem to be no in-house clinic)? Any thoughts on the program would be much appreciated!!