NYU Curriculum

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PrivatePractice5

Reaction score
Is it true that the whole NYU curriculum (lectures) is pre recorded via iTunes and students have access to these recordings? If so, would this dissuade students from actually attending class?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

Is it true that the whole NYU curriculum (lectures) is pre recorded via iTunes and students have access to these recordings? If so, would this dissuade students from actually attending class?

What does it matter to you? If you learn that way then so be it

Reactions: 1 user
Current student here and can confirm the podcasting system. It's great. I never go to class unless its mandatory and learn better at home where I'm more focused. But all depends on how you like to study. Some ppl always went to class and it worked for them. Also there are recordings spanning the last 5 years or so. If have any other questions feel free to PM me!

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Many schools have recorded lecture. In my observation, it only “dissuades” the people that didn’t want to attend the in-person lectures in the first place. The people who want to attend class always still go.

Reactions: 1 users
It matters because I’m interested in not going if I don’t have to and seeing how others go about doing so

Your original question was whether or not it dissuades students from attending lectures, not if attendance was mandatory.

PS- I'm curious: Tell me what will happen when you reach a topic you aren't interested about but is important in dentistry?

first month of school you will want to "experience" things but majority of people stop showing up for lectures if they're recorded. watching at home 1.25x speed is easier and better for learning. Probably the only way to learn rn due to covid.

you're not missing out on much if you don't go to class, it just takes a little more effort if you want to ask question

Podcasting lectures aren’t the timesaver you would think. Depending on the lecturer and topic it actually takes longer because of all the stopping and rewinding. Even when watching at 2x.

lectures are usually recycled year after year, your best bet is probably to find a good set of notes from the previous year. Time management is key in dental school.

Your original question was whether or not it dissuades students from attending lectures, not if attendance was mandatory.

PS- I'm curious: Tell me what will happen when you reach a topic you aren't interested about but is important in dentistry?
Totally agree. How DARE a pre-dent student ask questions about a school he/she may apply to. The nerve.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
I know a med student who matched to a harvard residency. they said they always went to class because otherwise they couldn't pay attention long enough to recorded lectures. once they got on their laptop they get too distracted to learn efficiently. (I would also add that occasionally there are technical difficulties, and also some personal case discussions that prof don't want recorded)

we take classes in one of two rooms at my school, a real, mostly empty lecture hall (no windows). or in a lab that is cleaned only by students (so it's never clean, but it has nice windows) not fun sitting for 3 hour lecture after the class before was drilling and filling amalgams (imagine 200+ students drilling out amalgam with no suction or water) not the safest learning environment. Harvard dental takes their classes in a movie-theater esque room, but it's in the basement, has no windows, and attendance is mandatory. so some students complain that it's hard to learn for 8 hours straight everyday. it depends on the school somewhat, but I really think it's just personal preference. some ppl also feel lonely when they study at home

I am still a fan of online school. saves commuting time, and you can't get corona if you stay home. I think dental schools should "on-board" students with some online classes in the summer/fall before they start at school. that way they get some knowledge/classes out of the way and can focus more on dentistry, hand-skills, and socializing with peers. there are a couple of noteworthy graduate programs that started doing this and so far it's gotten really good results (sadly no dental schools have tried this that I know of) my dental school gave us a summer book reading assignment... taking us all the way back to 5th grade and ruining summer :( the book wasn't even about dentistry

Is it true that NYU kicks out the bottom 10% of their class in first and second year? Anyone vouch for this?

No school can kick out anyone unless they fail classes, remediation, cheating, etc. Simply being in the bottom 10% is not grounds for expulsion anywhere.

Almost every AMA I have seen is from an NYU student or alum, how is there still so much misinformation out there.

To answer your question, no, NYU does not kick out the bottom 10%.

No school can kick out anyone unless they fail classes, remediation, cheating, etc. Simply being in the bottom 10% is not grounds for expulsion anywhere.
legally schools can expel students with failing grades without even giving them a hearing. see Goss v. Lopez

if they cheat, etc. they should be given a hearing/investigation before dismissal. but schools can use accusations of "unprofessionalism" (a loosely defined term) to expel students if they want to. historically this has been used to deny people of color due process and deny them their education

NYU's deans have an unusual attitude towards disciplinary matters that many students have criticized. NYU being the largest dental school in the country may play a role, but NYU definitely seems to dismiss/ discipline a lot of students. something to be aware of if you are thinking about attending, especially when NYUCD is also competing for the title of most expensive degree in the world

Reactions: 2 users