NYU dorm or off-campus?...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blue_moon01

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm just wondering how many people are thinking of finding their own place instead of stayin in the dorm..

I visited the dorm... I can't believe it cost like 1600 per month.. but then I remembered that it's NY...:oops:

Members don't see this ad.

What was it like? Small? Cramped? Dirty? Run down? Furnished? I'm pondering living in the dorms too.

Columbia dorms cost 600~700 /month for a single room.
well... it s up there on the north pole. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Keep in mind that you might not be allowed to stay in the dorm even if you applied to do so. So it might be in everyone's best interest to at least look at apartments, just in case the dorms fill up.

That being said, I'm personally leaning towards an apartment. Hopefully get out there in the beginning of August, hang with some friends who live in the city and try to get adjusted before school starts.

Keep in mind that you might not be allowed to stay in the dorm even if you applied to do so. So it might be in everyone's best interest to at least look at apartments, just in case the dorms fill up.

That being said, I'm personally leaning towards an apartment. Hopefully get out there in the beginning of August, hang with some friends who live in the city and try to get adjusted before school starts.

When should I start looking for an apt? I mean, it's not like I could move in any time soon...that's why I'm not looking right now. I think I'd wanna room with another student though...that'd be good.

At the interview the dean called the school's own dorms "a rip off". hmmm I am not sure if I'd wanna live there after hearing this from the dean :laugh: . (I liked him, though. At least he was a very honest dean. And he wore a pink shirt.)

However, he did say that a lot of students from other states choose to stay in the dorm during the first year so they can meet new friends and have enough time looking for off-campus housing.

If you have time to visit manhattan than I would say don't live in the dorms.
If it's a last minute thing, just move into the dorms.
The dorms are old, kind of grungy, but if you can't visit the city, it'll work for a year. You really need a good week or two to find a decent apartment in the city that is not way out of your budget. Try to visit a month before your move in date.
Rent is incredible in the city. A nice studio with a doorman runs about 2000 a month. Most people will rent out a 1 bedroom (about 2500 or more) and build a wall and make it a two bedroom. This cuts down cost quite a bit.
Try to live near the school (within 20 min walk) as you'll be thankful in the end!!! You'll have evening labs and clinics, sometimes 2-3 hour breaks in between classes or clinics so it's nice to go home for lunch or have an easy commute/walk at the end of a long day.