NYU (free) vs. University of Toronto (international student)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sdhfghjas58920

Reaction score
NYU

Pros

• Offered a full scholarship, including tuition, fees, and housing
  • Solid program that has been climbing in ranking over the past couple of years
  • Will make the transition to residency in the U.S. easier

Cons

• I don't know anyone in New York (my closest friends/relatives will be a 12 hour drive/2 hour flight away, and my boyfriend an 8 hour drive/1 hour flight)
  • Their curriculum allows for 1 week off in March of year 1, as well as the summer off after 1st year, but you don’t get these breaks during 2nd year like U of T students do.
  • Due to the free tuition incentive, there will be lots of very competitive/intense students, which is an environment that I’m looking to avoid.
  • This is a small point since it’s free, but their housing is super small and cramped in a typical NYC fashion.

University of Toronto

Pros

• Higher ranked school than NYU
  • My boyfriend and his family/friends live in Toronto so I will have a support system here
  • Students here get their first 2 summers off (after both first and second year), while NYU students only get the summer after 1st year. U of T students also get March Break both 1st and 2nd year. As someone who has struggled with burnout, this second summer and March Break off are very appealing to me.

Cons

• Total cost will be about $65,000 - $75,000 USD per year
  • I will still have to return to the U.S for residency since I’m not a Canadian citizen/PR (I’m struggling to find any info on whether or not this puts me at a disadvantage)

Summary: This may seem like an obvious decision to go to the school offering me $300,000+ and little to no debt, but as someone who really struggled with mental health during undergrad, it’s important for me to find a medical school where I will be happy, but that also sets me up for success. Essentially, I am trying to decide if its worth the money for me to potentially have a better overall experience in Toronto.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you want to practice in the US or Canada? The answer to that question determines everything.

Reactions: 2 users
NYU student here who was worried about a competitive atmosphere too before coming in especially since we were the first class knowing beforehand. Have to say that's hasn't been the case at all for me. In regards to the burnout, we have free weekends biweekly after our exams so we do get time to recoup.

That being said, it seems you're leaning more towards Toronto since you're support network is there. Plus if you want to be in Canada long term might be better to go there. Feel free to reach out though.

Reactions: 1 users
Don’t pay $300k for a marginal prestige difference and a summer vacation.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It would be so nice to have the freedom of little or no debt. I would be willing to put up with a lot for it.

As far as your mental health and happiness that’s something you’ll have to work on wherever you go. Family support will only do so much.