This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Iverson234

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
DELETED

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It's going to be an uphill battle. Your GPA is rather low for MD admission, which could make it difficult to get into these postbac programs, especially ones like Goucher. I'm less familiar with NYU and JHU, but I do believe they're pretty competitive as well. These programs take people who are otherwise strong applicants and just add the prerequisite courses, and unfortunately your GPA is not really competitive for MD school as far as I'm aware, so it could be difficult to gain admission to the postbac programs themselves. It's because of this extreme selectivity that they can promise med school acceptance rates near 100%.

You should definitely apply—I think you have a shot given your professional/academic background—but I just want to temper your expectations and make sure you realize that your plan is extremely ambitious. How did you choose those specific med schools? NYU, Cornell, Vanderbilt, and Penn are among the most competitive in the country, all "top 10-15" for whatever the rankings are worth. There are a number of other med schools in the NYC and Philly areas.

You should not tell people in medicine that you have recently discovered a deep passion for plastic surgery or that you have a personal motto, especially "it's all about the aesthetics."

Good luck. Apply early in the season to the postbac programs, as some have rolling admissions.

Reactions: 1 user