NYU? GWU? Which is better?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PA16

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been seeing alot of posts about various schools but would like to know if anyone has information about how good of a school NYU is?

I am currently trying to decide between NYU (Community Public Health) and GWU (Health Promotion) and would appreciate any feedback that I can get to help with making a decision

Which is better known in the public health field?

Members don't see this ad.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I *think* NYU has PH programs (the website read "Our fully accredited, 46-credit community public health program") as opposed to GW's school of PH. With this said I think you would have more resources overall at GW. NYU is a great school for a lot of programs but GW may have a bit of the edge for housing a school of PH. Either way you are going to be in great locations to get a lot of great field experience.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I *think* NYU has PH programs (the website read "Our fully accredited, 46-credit community public health program") as opposed to GW's school of PH. With this said I think you would have more resources overall at GW. NYU is a great school for a lot of programs but GW may have a bit of the edge for housing a school of PH. Either way you are going to be in great locations to get a lot of great field experience.
I second this..

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks. Can any1 speak to the prestige of NYU and if this school is well known in the "public health field." My biggest concern is choosing the best school that would benefit me the most upon graduation. Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks. Can any1 speak to the prestige of NYU and if this school is well known in the "public health field." My biggest concern is choosing the best school that would benefit me the most upon graduation. Any advice would be appreciated!

Not sure if you're thinking of doing the MPH as a terminal degree but I am actually going to NYU next year. I know of several people who did the MPH program there who went on to get PhD/DrPH at very prestigious schools. I had read some negative things on here about the program so I was kind of weary but have heard only really positive things from the people currently in it. They really like it, it's a close knit group, etc. You get a lot of individual attention which I think is really important if you're going to continue on in academia. Like the previous poster mentioned, it is lacking in the resources available to you that you would otherwise have in a school of public health, so that is definitely a negative. But I think NYU is a good school all around, and you can take some classes at Wagner while in the MPH program which is cool.

Sorry if this wasn't what you were looking for. I think that ultimately, NYU may not be the best choice if the MPH is going to be your terminal degree.