Which MPH PROGRAM - BU, PITT, NYU, Emory

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yammy_A

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys!

I have been deciding which MPH program to commit to. My options are Boston University MPH, University of Pittsburgh’s MPH program, NYU MPH, and Emory MPH. I’m planning to concentrate in Health Policy & Mangament. Any advice or suggestions, trying to decide.

Thanks so much for all the help!

Members don't see this ad.

Can you say a little bit more about yourself and what you're looking for in a program? All of these programs are quite good, and my instinct is to tell you to take the cheapest option based on the scholarships/financial aid you've gotten. But more info would help me give better advice.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey Guys!

I have been deciding which MPH program to commit to. My options are Boston University MPH, University of Pittsburgh’s MPH program, NYU MPH, and Emory MPH. I’m planning to concentrate in Health Policy & Mangament. Any advice or suggestions, trying to decide.

Thanks so much for all the help!

I would say that tuition price is an issue, but also reputability as I kinda get the idea that for HPM the name of the school matters as that is more of a connections game. In fields that aren't crying for more applicants and which rely on perhaps softer skills like global health (people who go to JHU say that even there global health students aren't highly sought after in the job market), or where a defined set of skills matters more than the name of the school, like Biostats or Epi, then I would look more at tuition.

Anyway, despite NYU's problems with their global health track, I'd say that NYU is a good choice HPM-wise and they seem to be ranked highly in that area:

https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-public-affairs-schools/health-management-rankings

I don't really see an advantage with the other schools, except that Emory is a good all around public health school as far as I can tell.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can you say a little bit more about yourself and what you're looking for in a program? All of these programs are quite good, and my instinct is to tell you to take the cheapest option based on the scholarships/financial aid you've gotten. But more info would help me give better advice.

Well, I Biology and Psychology major as an undergraduate, and most of my public health exposure was through some of my course and extracurriculars. I wanted to pursue health policy and management and I wad hoping with my program, I could gain experience and connections for working in the government or non-profit sector. Also, I had a desire of working in the global sector as well, so I’m hoping I can gain a global health experience as well with my program.

I assumed it was important to go to a good school/program, to get good connections and resources so I applied to these programs.

I got scholarships from Pittsburgh MPH and Boston. But still waiting to here back from NYU and Emory’s possible funding.

I don’t live close to any of these places so I would definitely need to find housing as well. And out of all these places, Pittsburgh living/house is the cheapest.

Honestly any advice would be great in helping me decide.

I would say that tuition price is an issue, but also reputability as I kinda get the idea that for HPM the name of the school matters as that is more of a connections game. In fields that aren't crying for more applicants and which rely on perhaps softer skills like global health (people who go to JHU say that even there global health students aren't highly sought after in the job market), or where a defined set of skills matters more than the name of the school, like Biostats or Epi, then I would look more at tuition.

Anyway, despite NYU's problems with their global health track, I'd say that NYU is a good choice HPM-wise and they seem to be ranked highly in that area:

I don't really see an advantage with the other schools, except that Emory is a good all around public health school as far as I can tell.

Really? I heard NYU’s MPH program is still somewhat new, so it’s not the best.

I got a $7.5K/per year scholarship from University of Pittsburgh, and in the process of working out other possible funding.

While I got a 20k scholarship from Boston University, and waiting to hear back regarding financial aid package.

I was leaning towards BU, if Emory doesn’t offer any possible funding or financial aid. I liked BU’s program as it provides many options to personalize my education towards my interests and goals. Would you not recommend BU, even though it’s ranked within the top 10?

I am approaching this question from your stated concentration of HPM, NYU's Robert F. Wagner School of Public Service is big on policy and has been around since 1938, and they award and MPA in HPM, you might think this doesn't apply to their HPM concentration the MPH, but i am thinking that NYU has great experience and reputation in this area. NYU themselves don't draw a super big distinction between the MPH with an HPM concentration, an MPA or MHA as there is some, perhaps a lot, of overlap.

NYU has connections, so I'm thinking that's a benefit, even if they grew their global health program too fast and it is more of a business/connections type of degree program. Columbia is mentioned favorably as a good school for HPM as well, and New York has a lot of opportunities in terms of global health and the business side of health policy.

Decades ago BU's public health school came out with a study basically saying that patients aren't getting addicted to opioid prescriptions, and this study was wrong, or done incorrectly, and quoted hundreds of thousands of times and lead to a perception that feed into the current opioid epidemic. More recently, BU's public health school through a professor who once (but no longer) worked at the CDC has forcefully advocated for not regulating e-cigarettes (the guy regularly posts on his blog and apparently is part of the public relations wing of BUSPH), which may help adults quit, and are possibly 95% safer than cigarettes, though the jury is still out on that, but may be more worrisome regarding children who are increasingly vaping at their schools. Interestingly, Boston is often ranked as the city in America with the biggest binge drinking problem!, not that that necessarily has anything to do with the above possible policy missteps.

So . . . why is there a fake news blog by a BUSPH Professor promoting e-cigarrettes, and more disturbingly demonizes everyone from the NIH to JHU for raising questions about e-cigarettes and asking for longterm studies? It looks like this is some how funded by e-cigarettes manufacturers, these manufacturers give scholarships for students who tell how much they enjoy e-cigarettes, there might be a similar scholarship at BUSPH. Some quotes from the blog:

"It is also inappropriate to call Juul a massive public health disaster. True, Juul is a major problem because it is leading to widespread youth use with a significant potential for addiction." . . .

"Finally, it is irresponsible and inappropriate to accuse Juul of "willfully designing and pushing a product that will cause harm to the children of the United States." First of all, Juul did not design the product with the intention of causing harm to children. The product was designed to help adult smokers quit smoking."

Really?!? It doesn't matter that Juul was created to "help adult smokers quit smoking", now a lot of kids are using this products and other products, he seems much more concerned about protecting the image of this company (which might be paying him or he believes in a massive conspiracy theory involving people maliciously attacking Juul) than he care about the health of children! If you want to do anything regarding the health of kids and moms, two vulnerable populations, don't go to BU for public health school, they're not on the side of kids. If the science and research shows that e-cigarettes are a problem, perhaps bigger than people thought, then you have to go with the science not believe that everything is a conspiracy theory. It is also more than possible that Juul manufacturers, like cigarettes manufacturers before them, know/knew that children buy their products, become long-term users, and help their bottom-line. If there is a Scooby-Do Cotton Candy Juul flavored nicotine do you think it was invented to help adults quit smoking?

If BUSPH is simultaneously getting money from e-cigarette manufacturers, (and given that they pushed hard to de-regulate e-cigarettes and amazingly won with the e-cigarettes manufacturers) and then . . . some of their researchers (not conspiracy theoretist guy) getting research funds from the NIH to study the harmful effects of e-cigarettes . . . did they just help to create a problem that they get paid to research?

There might be issues with getting externships in Boston, they've had problems in the past apparently, and there are several big public health schools like Harvard, Tufts, BU and UMass all competing for the same opportunities.

BU's public health school is relatively new, especially when compared to NYU's public policy school, and other schools of public health, and according to what students have said about the school: the students can be super competitive, it is easier to get lost in the crowd at BU than at many other places, students might be treated with indifference . . . and of course the official advertising works hard to create the opposite impression as they want to correct this image through marketing.

Thank you so much! This was really helpful. I guess I will look into NYU's program more than. I was really considering BU, but after reading your post, maybe not so much anymore.

Thank you so much! This was really helpful. I guess I will look into NYU's program more than. I was really considering BU, but after reading your post, maybe not so much anymore.
I just finished my first year in BU's MPH program and am concentrating in Healthcare Management and Pharmaceuticals. I also got into Emory in the 2016/17 cycle. Let me know if you have any questions about BU. I haven't had any major issues finding internships or opportunities thus far. Also, the only other big public health school in Boston is Harvard. I haven't fully read She-Hulk's question yet (taking a break at work right now) but I question her opinion about BUSPH if she didn't go there. My two cents.

Feel free to PM me...I'll read over this thread fully after I finish work and can probably give more thoughts.

Reactions: 2 users
After reading everything.

Masters programs in general are what you make of it, depending on what you want out of it. It's my opinion that you should choose a school that is right FOR YOU and what you're interested in.

Generally, BUSPH is very respected among public health programs, from what I've seen. If you are really set on getting an MPH from a school of public health, I would still definitely consider BU. I am in healthcare management, which I feel like is pretty good at BU, despite our large class size. I can't speak to the nature of other programs, but I would say that if you're really interested in policy and working globally, take a closer look at Emory and the CDC (funding right now from fed government is meh and may remain that way for a bit, keep in mind).

Price-wise, you would also need to consider that both Boston and New York are pricey cities. Atlanta and Pitt (idk anything about Pittsburgh so correct me if I'm wrong) figure to be cheaper cost of living.

Like She-Hulk mentioned, it matters who you know and what you make of the program. With BU, I know plenty of people who are doing well. NYU Wagner I'm sure is great but it seems to be an MPA program (like ranking Kennedy is not the same as ranking TH Chan for Harvard, though they both rank well nationally regardless).

I also don't necessarily think you should judge the quality of a program by its age. By that metric, Rollins (Emory) should not be that good because it was founded in 1990. BUSPH was founded in 1976.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

I also don't necessarily think you should judge the quality of a program by its age. By that metric, Rollins (Emory) should not be that good because it was founded in 1990. BUSPH was founded in 1976.

Personally, I feel that Emory's School of Public Health was founded in 1947! That was when Emory gave land to the federal government for the CDC to be established right next door to Emory, and Emory has had close ties with the CDC ever since. Also, in 1975 there was a masters of community health program at Emory, and Atlanta is also known as the public health capitol of the world due to the CDC's international work, policy institutes and NGOs in Atlanta. Institutionally, Emory has been involved in the public health at a very high, and global, level for a long time. Also, Emory is ranked #7 or something and there aren't a lot of competing comparable schools in the area.

So while BU and Emory are probably the only schools in the Top 12 that were founded in the past 50 years, Emory sort of gets grandfathered-in as a reputably long-established public health school due to ongoing strong ties with the CDC with which it shares a history.

Anecdotally, the job market in Boston for MPHers is supposedly getting oversaturated . . . in the middle of a gigantic economic boom, that can't be good either.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Masters programs in general are what you make of it, depending on what you want out of it. It's my opinion that you should choose a school that is right FOR YOU and what you're interested in.

Generally, BUSPH is very respected among public health programs, from what I've seen. If you are really set on getting an MPH from a school of public health, I would still definitely consider BU. I am in healthcare management, which I feel like is pretty good at BU, despite our large class size. I can't speak to the nature of other programs, but I would say that if you're really interested in policy and working globally, take a closer look at Emory and the CDC (funding right now from fed government is meh and may remain that way for a bit, keep in mind).

Price-wise, you would also need to consider that both Boston and New York are pricey cities. Atlanta and Pitt (idk anything about Pittsburgh so correct me if I'm wrong) figure to be cheaper cost of living.

Like She-Hulk mentioned, it matters who you know and what you make of the program. With BU, I know plenty of people who are doing well. NYU Wagner I'm sure is great but it seems to be an MPA program (like ranking Kennedy is not the same as ranking TH Chan for Harvard, though they both rank well nationally regardless).

Hi.

I liked BUSPH as the schools program aligned greatly with my interests. I was planning to pursue health policy and law health management if I attended BU. BU gave me a geneourous scholarship, and it’s really hard to pass by. My only concern with BUSPH, since there other MPH schools in the area will it be hard to find good internships? Also with large cohort of students, will all the classes have large class size?

Also, I applied to NYUs college of global public health program with a concentration in Heath Policy and Management. I know the school is not ranked well as it’s somewhat new, but I got a great scholarship from them even better than BU’s. And NYC has many opportunities and agencies as well, so internships wouldn’t be hard to find. Do you know anything about NYU’ program.

Thanks for the advice!