NYU impressions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Josh1105

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Interested in hearing other interviewees impressions of this school.
Though a lot of the buildings seemed kind of run down, I really enjoyed the interview experience. The people seemed very friendly, happy and down to earth. Did others have similar experiences?

-Josh

Members don't see this ad.

i had a great time at NYU. the area is top-notch, the facilities, although many say are dated, are pretty damn nice. they are making some brand-spanking new beautiful research centers.

about the dorms, i was really shocked at how many people whine about them. i lived in a tiny little room with two other people, and it worked out fine. at nyu, you get your own room..i thought they were awesome

the only weird feel i got there was that all the guys and girls seem like their in the greek system. i had heard this rumor/stereotype before, but i was sure it had to have been false. but upon going there, i was pretty surprised at how many popped collars/abercrombie kids were out there...hopefully i met a very unrepresentative population

nevertheless, good people, fun atmosphere, low stress, and great school

calvinandhobbes said:
i had a great time at NYU. the area is top-notch, the facilities, although many say are dated, are pretty damn nice. they are making some brand-spanking new beautiful research centers.

about the dorms, i was really shocked at how many people whine about them. i lived in a tiny little room with two other people, and it worked out fine. at nyu, you get your own room..i thought they were awesome

the only weird feel i got there was that all the guys and girls seem like their in the greek system. i had heard this rumor/stereotype before, but i was sure it had to have been false. but upon going there, i was pretty surprised at how many popped collars/abercrombie kids were out there...hopefully i met a very unrepresentative population

nevertheless, good people, fun atmosphere, low stress, and great school

i forgot to add: BELLEVUE...it's friggin beautiful and very hands-on...i feel (and many med students will tell you this) that the education you get at medical school is gonna be similar no matter where you go. what really matters how you fit with the school and the experiences it offers. i can't think of many other places that gets you as much experience that bellevue does.

Members don't see this ad :)
calvinandhobbes said:
i forgot to add: BELLEVUE...it's friggin beautiful and very hands-on...i feel (and many med students will tell you this) that the education you get at medical school is gonna be similar no matter where you go.

oh jeez lets not start this argument again.

calvinandhobbes said:
upon going there, i was pretty surprised at how many popped collars/abercrombie kids were out there

YES... I saw more popped collars during my few hours at NYU than I think I've seen in the entire rest of my life. Woah.

letmein!please? said:

then don't. i'm not saying bellevue's the best, i'm just saying it'll give you a crapload of experience.

Risa said:
YES... I saw more popped collars during my few hours at NYU than I think I've seen in the entire rest of my life. Woah.

i'm from cali (orange county and norcal), so i've seen a fair share of popped collars...but still, in med school? c'mon, you'd think they'd realize that it's a fad that's gonna die very soon....i can't wait till VH1 does an I love the 2000's and makes fun of the pink shirts and popped collars.

calvinandhobbes said:
i'm from cali (orange county and norcal), so i've seen a fair share of popped collars...but still, in med school? c'mon, you'd think they'd realize that it's a fad that's gonna die very soon....i can't wait till VH1 does an I love the 2000's and makes fun of the pink shirts and popped collars.

wearin' pink shirt and simulatneously popin' my collar.

reylting said:
wearin' pink shirt and simulatneously popin' my collar.

cool...don't forget to put on your uggs ;)

Haha, and a louis vuittan backpack (maybe this is just at SC)

calvinandhobbes said:
then don't. i'm not saying bellevue's the best, i'm just saying it'll give you a crapload of experience.

I actually agree with you (pretty much), I was just saying it's a can of worms ;)

While interviewing at 'SC I took a little detour over to the u-grad campus (had to see those 6 Heismans). I almost fell over when I saw a girl wearing a Lacoste shirt with a popped collar, a miniskirt, Uggs, and riding a bike (cruiser style, 1 speed). Did I mention she was doing all of this at the same time? Wow . . . and I thought UVa was bad . . .

Dakota said:
While interviewing at 'SC I took a little detour over to the u-grad campus (had to see those 6 Heismans). I almost fell over when I saw a girl wearing a Lacoste shirt with a popped collar, a miniskirt, Uggs, and riding a bike (cruiser style, 1 speed). Did I mention she was doing all of this at the same time? Wow . . . and I thought UVa was bad . . .

Haha sweet... At UCSD last week, I saw a kid with a mohawk (fauxhawk, that is), pink shirt with popped collar, and classic white eyepod ear bud in one ear as he talked on a Motorola Razor phone. I almost vomited.

Dakota said:

You only saw one? Was she talking on her sidekick too? :smuggrin:

As an undergrad I am disgusted on a daily basis by how spoiled 99% of the students here are. It really is the University of Spoiled Children. When I tell people I have to work they look at me with a profound sense of bewilderment and pitty...they probably think I'm joking...."ew, working? Thats such a dirty way to get money!" :laugh: Oh well, I will be gone soon enough

Members don't see this ad :)
wow...i go to USC and don't really think it's that bad at all. Though there are a lot of rich students, there are a LOT of students who have scholarships, work study, financial aid, etc. too. If you're looking for the spoiled kids, you'll deifnetly find them (i.e. around Marshall Business, Annenberg) but there are tons of students who are really chill... just have to open your eyes to them.

Let's not diss 'SC too much here!

p.s. I really liked NYU, too. Didn't see too many popped collars, but people were definetly into their own thing. I'm cool with that, though, because I'm an indpendent person. I mean, it's Manhattan... you can't get any cooler. =)

As a UCLA student, i would love some 'sc dirt but the truth is that those kids are everywhere.Even here at UCLA, some look at you like they think black people should still be segregated. sooooooooo. The spoilt kid virus is everywhere

I have an interview at NYU tomorrow and I was just wondering what P/F was??? I am not familiar with this. Also. what is NYU known for...what makes it stand out as a school that most of you would want to go to???
Also,there seems to be an interviewer that likes to point out low MCATs..

Turquoisey said:
I have an interview at NYU tomorrow and I was just wondering what P/F was??? I am not familiar with this. Also. what is NYU known for...what makes it stand out as a school that most of you would want to go to???
Also,there seems to be an interviewer that likes to point out low MCATs..

1) P/F means pass/fail. But NYU does keep "secret" class rankings so people can get nominated to AOA (med school honor society).

2) NYU is known for Bellevue, 1st and foremost. People can feel free to argue with this, but in terms of care for the indigent I think it really comes down to Bellevue, Grady, and Los Angeles County.

3) My interviewer was a pretty nice guy, but the interview was very short and very relaxed, so I'm not quite sure why they interview so many people.

what kind of mcat does nyu usually accept? I am starting to think mine is on the low side.

Looking at my handy MSAR it's a median of 11/12/12 Q (V/PS/B). So yes, fairly high. Another trend I noticed was the students seemed fairly young . . . guess there aren't many non-trads who want to live in Manhattan. Best of luck on the interview . . . it's nothing to worry about, but seriously, get some sleep.

thanks a lot-yeah- i know its late...
I didnt know that nyu interviewed so many people.
do you know the percentage of people that get admitted from the interviewees??
Is this a school that you are considering??

Turquoisey said:
thanks a lot-yeah- i know its late...
I didnt know that nyu interviewed so many people.
do you know the percentage of people that get admitted from the interviewees??
Is this a school that you are considering??

I think that NYU accepts around 1/3 of those interviewed.

allisonbk said:
I think that NYU accepts around 1/3 of those interviewed.

NYU doesn't interview a lot of people...about 900...and then they accept 51%. Their accepted MCAT is a 35, but their MATRICULATED MCAT is 32...

golftrippy said:
NYU doesn't interview a lot of people...about 900...and then they accept 51%. Their accepted MCAT is a 35, but their MATRICULATED MCAT is 32...

wow, they accept 1/2 of those interviewed? are you sure? did you get this info on the interview?

allisonbk said:
wow, they accept 1/2 of those interviewed? are you sure? did you get this info on the interview?

Yes, the dean told us this at the interview...as for the scores...USNews reports matriculated MCAT while MSAR reports accepted

golftrippy said:
Yes, the dean told us this at the interview...as for the scores...USNews reports matriculated MCAT while MSAR reports accepted

wow, then you made my day! i thought i had a 1/3 chance and now i have a 1/2. nice!

allisonbk said:

golftrippy said:

US News does report matriculated, but another difference is they report an average rather than a median. In the end, both sets of numbers are good to know. Also, my 2006 edition of US News reports an average MCAT of 11.0 for NYU, corresponding to a 33, based on the class entering in '04. Don't know if newer numbers for the class starting '05 are available yet.

Dakota said:
US News does report matriculated, but another difference is they report an average rather than a median. In the end, both sets of numbers are good to know. Also, my 2006 edition of US News reports an average MCAT of 11.0 for NYU, corresponding to a 33, based on the class entering in '04. Don't know if newer numbers for the class starting '05 are available yet.

Its 32 in that US News...read the actual breakdown...the 11.0 avg is a misprint...haha but this is only nitpicking...

golftrippy said:
Its 32 in that US News...read the actual breakdown...the 11.0 avg is a misprint...haha but this is only nitpicking...

It is nitpicking, and I realized that as I typed 11.0 . . . but since I'm old school and have the print edition, 11's all I got. Thanks for the info tho.

Does anybody know if NYU has sent out any pre-interview rejections yet at all or is the first round of rejections still coming up?

DrKitty said:
Does anybody know if NYU has sent out any pre-interview rejections yet at all or is the first round of rejections still coming up?

I feel like the NYU expert haha, but anyway, all the rejections, acceptances, waitlists will come out in Jan...but they do stop interviewing next week.

wow i really liked NYU. I really really hope i get in!
and that 51% statistic made me quite happy :) :) :) :)

are the decisions mailed late or early January??

ablumoon said:
wow i really liked NYU. I really really hope i get in!
and that 51% statistic made me quite happy :) :) :) :)

are the decisions mailed late or early January??

The letter in the interview folder says that they will be sent before jan 30. are they giving us a later date now just to be safe?

well that is very comforting to know that around half of those interviewed get accepted. I feel like my mcat is a little lower than the matriculated mcat...but if i didnt have a chance-why would they have asked me to interview?? so i am being optimistic. I guess if we interview then we find out whether or not we were accepted before the end of january. :laugh: I really hope that i do end up getting in! I am really excited about being here. Thank you so much for all of the information.

Wow January's coming up, huh? Yikes!

they're done interviewing this month right? when should i expect my rejection letter then?

letmein!please? said:
You want a real argument? okay. MSSM vs NYU! :laugh:

Turquoisey said:
well that is very comforting to know that around half of those interviewed get accepted. I feel like my mcat is a little lower than the matriculated mcat...but if i didnt have a chance-why would they have asked me to interview?? so i am being optimistic. I guess if we interview then we find out whether or not we were accepted before the end of january. :laugh: I really hope that i do end up getting in! I am really excited about being here. Thank you so much for all of the information.

I am in the same situation- my stats seem lower than the nyu average. I wonder how much of a disadvantage this is post-interview...

NYU is a number *****, especially MCAT ***** :smuggrin:

DrKitty said:
From my experience, I think they are :(

hard to say. with an acceptance average of 35 and a matriculant average of 32, they are obviously letting in a LOT of people who they should know have no intention of going to nyu in the first place. if you look at old threads, there are a lot of people who get in off the waitlist in the summer (seems ridiculous- apparently they just start mass emailing people and saying are you still interested?) so maybe they just try for the overachievers, ;) , initially and then fill the class with others, but then again, there is a whole thread of people with 35+ people who are in shock at their rejections from nyu...eh, who knows?

All the NYC schools except NYMC are number ******. NYU only gets singled out cause of their pre-screening process.

pekq said:
All the NYC schools except NYMC are number ******. NYU only gets singled out cause of their pre-screening process.

and NYCOM

JacqueCousteau said:
hard to say. with an acceptance average of 35 and a matriculant average of 32, they are obviously letting in a LOT of people who they should know have no intention of going to nyu in the first place. if you look at old threads, there are a lot of people who get in off the waitlist in the summer (seems ridiculous- apparently they just start mass emailing people and saying are you still interested?) so maybe they just try for the overachievers, ;) , initially and then fill the class with others, but then again, there is a whole thread of people with 35+ people who are in shock at their rejections from nyu...eh, who knows?

On interview day, they were pretty vocal about every aspect of the application being treated equally: GPA, MCAT, EC's, LOR's, Interview. But maybe they have high cutoffs pre-interview.

I have Masters of Science degree from NYU (GPA 3.8) and 3 LORs from NYU faculty. I even took one class with ther MD/PhD students. The school did not even invite me for the interview :eek: NYU hurts so much.

I feel that they completely missed my application. :(

DrKitty said:
I have Masters of Science degree from NYU (GPA 3.8) and 3 LORs from NYU faculty. I even took one class with ther MD/PhD students. The school did not even invite me for the interview :eek: NYU hurts so much.

MCAT 30+?

TheMightyAngus said:
On interview day, they were pretty vocal about every aspect of the application being treated equally: GPA, MCAT, EC's, LOR's, Interview. But maybe they have high cutoffs pre-interview.

I dont know that I buy that. At NYU, everyones interview goes the exact same way-- perfect. no pressure, just friendly chat. cant really imagine you can gain much ground at the interview, unless of course youre hanging out on the Im a hot premed thread.

My MCAT is 29. And if it is the MCAT that is keeping me from being invited by NYU, then it proves to me that all they care for are numbers.