NYU neuro

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medstudentneuro123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I haven't seen any recent threads about NYU neurology... Does anyone know how it's now ranking among the NYC programs since Dr. Galleta became chairman? Seems like the program has grown a lot since he arrived. In terms of quality of life do you know how it compares to residencies such as Columbia, Sinai, and Cornell? I'm having trouble ranking the NYC programs.

Thanks for any info!

Members don't see this ad.

The residents seemed really happy at NYU. Looks like they are getting some residents from top medical schools. It is definitely a growing program with some awesome new attendings.

I visited NYU neuro during December. They are expanding and increasing funding/research so their program is moving up on the rank list. One good thing is that all of their sites are next to each other - VA, Bellevue, and NYU langone are all on the same block. The other programs have long established reputations but NYU is definitely moving up

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with the above. I wrote about it in the interview impressions thread, but I think residents worked hard especially pgy2 but slowly dropped off afterward (not unlike most other programs). Some residents went out for several drinks before the dinner (whatever your stance on EtOH is...it means they have time to have fun: this is a good sign.) Langone is continuing to expand (new building next door being built) and has one of the highest $$$ surplus in the city. Bellevue is more classic nyc with no ancillary help and sounds like the residents are pretty much left to run the service (meaning low attending oversight). But, its a world-famous public hospital and you will see plenty of pathology. VA is a referral VA so higher acuity and more pathology than a typical VA. Personally, the PD was less than impressive compared to Galetta and Balcer. And if by "same block" you mean same avenue then yes, but its about 10 city walking blocks between all of them (which is not far on the grand scheme of things and other hospitals in nyc). Essentially no subsidized housing, if that matters to you.

Its definitely on the up and i think it will continue to move up given the increasing research dollars (thanks to Balcer) and the 3 hospitals for diverse training. Columbia definitely still on top, with Cornell and Sinai probably just edging NYU out right now but by residency's end I envision NYU being #2 in the city with the administrative moves being made.

Doximity looks whack!

how do the call schedules compare cornell vs nyu? would you factor this into the decision making process?