NYU or USC? Please help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Westside22

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi all,
I am trying to decide between NYU and USC.
I do not like USC's Problem Based Learning curriculum very much, however, I was told that NYU also started the PBL program as of last year?
I am not exactly sure about this, but a friend of a friend is a current first year at NYU said that they changed last year to the PBL at NYU, and so I am way confused.
If NYU does indeed have the PBL curriculum, I would choose USC over NYU since I am a CA resident.
However, if NYU curriculum is NOT PBL, then I would consider NYU.
Another topic that has been discussed extensively is NYU's drop out rates. This person who is currently attending NYU confirmed this, as a large number of her friends dropped out last year, I am not sure about their reasons for dropping out.
Can anyone give me some input? I have to make my deposit within a few days, so please any thoughts would be much appreciated.
Westside22

Members don't see this ad.

I find it somewhat hard to believe that NYU switched to PBL considering they said nothing about it at the interview or in any of the school literature. When I went for my interview I was told that the class was broken into groups of 50 or so for lectures and that several courses would be taught for like 3 weeks and then finals and then several other courses for a few weeks, etc. Nothing about PBL was mentioned.

Pick NYU. I'm pretty sure they only integrate PBL in their cirriculum. Unlike USC, its all PBL.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you really dont like PBL , NYU is better I guess, but if I were you I'd pick USC .
Good Luck.

Hi,

What sort of issues do you have with PBL? Initially, I had a couple of issues and I was able to resolve them by speaking with faculty members during a personal interview at USC. If you haven't done the personal interview part of the interview process, maybe opting to do this will help you out quite a bit.

Also, ask to email students currently in the PBL program (that fist year class). Those who I have spoken to speak nothing but highly of the program.

If you do go to USC let me know and I'll see ya there!!

hello,
sorry for any confusion, NYU is NOT doing PBL,
but supposedly they have changed their curriculum a bit by adding more health-care oriented classes such as patient overall health and how it relates to dentistry. Also some sciences classes are condensed into shorter weeks of classes and lectures.
I talked to a current NYU student, and that's what she told me.
So no PBL. She does say that professors and staffs are very nice, friendly, and helpful.
She did mention the lack of help in the clinic.
Anyhow, i am visiting NYU this week, and I hope I will make the right decision. I am leaning towards USC right now.
Thanks all.