NYU Plastination

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

birdsflyinghigh

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello my friends, do you think this is good or bad that NYUCD doesn't have cadavers? Some current NYUCD students tell me its a positive thing and saves them time. Other students say its a negative thing.

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Lol we have both cadavers and plastic models at SUNY Optometry. $65,000 tuition and no real cadavers?

Members don't see this ad :)
Sure they can. This a public board anyone can answer.

We have cadavers.... I dont think you're missing out on much. for med students its a must, for dental students its a little overboard in my opinion. its very time consuming and tedious. Maybe if you are planning on omfs it would be nice to be at a school with them, otherwise i wouldn't worry about it.

Ya I feel the same...cadavers have their pros and cons. If you get stuck with a fat one, a skinny one, one with cancer, and so on it makes it reall difficult and doesn't teach you very much. It's nice to get a feel for dissection, but unless your school is getting fresh cadavers; spending hours mutilating corned beef doesnt make a better dentist

After pretty much finishing anatomy class, our final is in 2 weeks. It is actually quite hard to determine actual anatomical relationships once the cadavers are, for lack of a better term, mutilated. It really is difficult to tell exactly how many things in the face actual run in the face once you have dissected/bisected the head. I don't know much about plastinids but it probably is easier and less time consuming to learn from.

I'm a D1 and I don't think having a lack of cadavers have hurt us. I actually learned a lot and as dentists I don't really find it necessary to have them. It's not like we have a couple plastinations.. there are A TON, for every single purpose as you go through anatomy. Also, NYU does significantly better on the boards in that area than the national average. So it's up to your personal opinion but I found it to be a much better use of my time.

go with the cadavers if you can. people who have never dissected cadavers do not know what information they're lacking. sure, dissecting the brachial plexus is probably useless in the long run for us. but the head and neck? the oral cavity dissection and visualizing the nerves? very very helpful.

go with the cadavers if you can. people who have never dissected cadavers do not know what information they're lacking. sure, dissecting the brachial plexus is probably useless in the long run for us. but the head and neck? the oral cavity dissection and visualizing the nerves? very very helpful.

:thumbup:

but the head and neck? the oral cavity dissection and visualizing the nerves? very very helpful.
Meh, you can visualize them with plastinates too.

IMO plastinates are more efficient and just as effective as cadavers, but really, you'll learn the anatomy just fine either way -- to the point where it shouldn't be a factor one way or the other when choosing schools.

meh, you can visualize them with plastinates too.

Imo plastinates are more efficient and just as effective as cadavers, but really, you'll learn the anatomy just fine either way -- to the point where it shouldn't be a factor one way or the other when choosing schools.

+1

Meh, it is kind of helpful to have real cadavers, but it will probably be harder in the long run because of so much variation and they do get mutilated. It is good getting a "feel" for tissue relationships, even though they are stored in formalin. Its an experience you will never forget, but at the same time, not totally that useful in the long run. School cost should be a much more important decision in deciding where to go.