NYU Post-Bac

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kittieruby

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Does anybody know about the NYU post-bac program? I have just been admitted to Columbia's program, but now that I realize the length in time (three years) it takes to complete, I am looking for something a little quicker. I'd like to be in NYC and go to a prestigious program. Therefore, I was wondering if anybody knew anything about NYU? Is the program successful in getting their students into good med schools? Is the pre-med committee helpful? ETC. Any info would be helpful.
Thanks ya'll! :) :D

Members don't see this ad.

I just spoke with the NYU advisor and had to get special permission from the Dean to do the course full time. Apparently they assume most people will do it part-time, two classes a semester. Given my extreme lack of pre-reqs that would have taken longer than two years.

Like you I looked at the COlumbia program and see that its schedule is very rigid and quite long. But with Columbia's linkage that might balance out in the long run?

if you don't mind my asking, meehawl, whats your gpa? I'm trying to figure out what level of post-bacc. program to apply too. I assume its too late to apply for fall. Can you apply for spring and summer terms? I'm also looking at Drexel, Pitt (not a formal program, so no linkage), Penn, and a few others in the mid atlantic region. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it too late to apply for the NYU masters program if I want to start in the fall and also is it a one year program?
Thanks

rpost3 said:
if you don't mind my asking, meehawl, whats your gpa?

That's a tough one to answer, because I studied in both Ireland and the UK, and my degree is from a UK university. In the Irish system there was no concept of GPA (you get one set of exams at the end of every academic year and a chance to repeat them during the Autumn term), and your final degree grade is generally based on your results from the final set of exams in your final year. The UK system was a hybrid, with 30% of the percentage mark awarded for continuous assessment (which I gather is similar to GPA) but 70$ of the grade coming from the final exam.

Anyway, for US colleges I usually normalize the degree grade (87% I believe) to a 1-4 scale, and insert a note explaining the examination system versus a GPA system.

meehawl - What did you have to do to get special permission to do the program in one year? I wrote to an advisor of the nyu post-bac program and he said it was ok to start with my pre-reqs at CU, and then apply to start NYU in the fall, as the deadline is in July. So that I understand correctly, this upcoming year (fall 04-spring 05) you'll take perhaps four courses a semester and take the MCAT in april? Is that right? Because that's what I would like to do. I'd rather a year of hell than three years of loans and time passing by! Thanks so much! :)

kittieruby said:
meehawl - What did you have to do to get special permission to do the program in one year?

No, I'm doing it in two years, I need a lot of pre-reqs.

does nyu have a linkage program?