NYU Tertiary application - Interventional Radiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I was curious if there was anyone willing to review my NYU Langone Tertiary application? Specifically anyone who is in or has experience with Interventional Radiology as that is the residency program I will be shooting my shot towards. I just wanted a more specific second set of eyes as these essays are program/specialty specific so I am not quite sure if they are different in my approach than my typical secondaries. Thank you to anyone and able willing to help!

Members don't see this ad.

What in sam hell is a tertiary application?

Is this condition contagious to other medical schools?

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
I was curious if there was anyone willing to review my NYU Langone Tertiary application? Specifically anyone who is in or has experience with Interventional Radiology as that is the residency program I will be shooting my shot towards. I just wanted a more specific second set of eyes as these essays are program/specialty specific so I am not quite sure if they are different in my approach than my typical secondaries. Thank you to anyone and able willing to help!

What is a tertiary application...!?!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
NYU has a 3 year MD program where you can go straight into an NYU residency. They call the application a tertiary application, it’s optional and you fill it out after the secondary.

Reactions: 2 users
What in sam hell is a tertiary application?

Is this condition contagious to other medical schools?
To expand, NYU has a 3 year MD program where you apply to a guaranteed residency slot at one of their programs. You interview for both the MD program and with the residency program. If they like you, then you have a guaranteed slot in the residency of your choice.

To expand, NYU has a 3 year MD program where you apply to a guaranteed residency slot at one of their programs. You interview for both the MD program and with the residency program. If they like you, then you have a guaranteed slot in the residency of your choice.

Sweeet! Godspeed!

I'll read it. But only because I'm thinking of applying for the same position and I want to steal all your ideas. #evillaugh

That sounds amazing! Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
@MemeLord You may be able to answer this question of mine since you're filling out an NYU tertiary.
I realize the difference between interventional and diagnostic, but why is there a third option that just says "Radiology" without a specification?

Also, I shadowed a radiologist and he seemed to do both. He would dictate images for 20-40 minutes, then go do a procedure. Then more images. Then another procedure. Is this just because he's an older attending grandfathered into this kind of practice, or is it still possible to do both diagnostic and procedures?

Last edited:
I'll read it. But only because I'm thinking of applying for the same position and I want to steal all your ideas. #evillaugh
Do you wanna exchange? I have a first draft of the “Why IR” essay and an outline of the “what makes a good IR” essay.

@MemeLord You may be able to answer this question of mine since you're filling out an NYU tertiary.
I realize the difference between interventional and diagnostic, but why is there a third option that just says "Radiology" without a specification?

Also, I shadowed a radiologist and he seemed to do both. He would dictate images for 20-40 minutes, then go do a procedure. Then more images. Then another procedure. Is this just because he's an older attending grandfathered into this kind of practice, or is it still possible to do both diagnostic and procedures?
I think without specification is if you are potentially open to the IR intensive route? There are three IR pathways.

And as far as work flow goes, yes in a private practice you can typically do both imaging and procedures. Academic IR is usually exclusively procedures.

why on earth does this exist o.e
Because it is Both a guaranteed residency of your choice and it allows you to stay in one spot for 7-10 years (something I particularly care for as I have a family that I don’t wanna move all around).

• Wow
Members don't see this ad :)
I like how the fourth year of medical school is so useless you can just eliminate it entirely and that’s ok.

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users

It also probably depends on the path you took to get to IR. I shadowed an IR doc that did a diagnostic residency and an interventional fellowship. He only practices IR, but I’m sure he would have had the option to do both.

Why not just apply at the end of your first year when you may have a better understanding of what speciality you'd like?

I was wondering in terms of the school perspective, lol. Seems risky to commit to taking someone as a resident who hasn’t even begun med school yet. Maybe they want to compete for applicants or something, idk!

I was wondering in terms of the school perspective, lol. Seems risky to commit to taking someone as a resident who hasn’t even begun med school yet. Maybe they want to compete for applicants or something, idk!

NYU is positioning itself to be the best of the best among med schools and adding one more hoop like this on top of their recent CASPER requirement just goes to show that they are expecting their incoming cohorts to be an extremely competitive group.
Tertiary application sounds like some medical triage term honestly. *yikes*

I wonder if there's a way to get out of the deal without penalty if you realize that specialty isn't what you want anymore. Most people that are dead set on a specialty prior to starting med school end up changing their minds on specialty in or after 3rd year, yes?

I wonder if there's a way to get out of the deal without penalty if you realize that specialty isn't what you want anymore. Most people that are dead set on a specialty prior to starting med school end up changing their minds on specialty in or after 3rd year, yes?
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that if you change your mind you can shift back to being a 4 yr student and go through the match program like everyone else.

Edit: Early, Conditional Residency Acceptance | NYU Langone Health

Why not just apply at the end of your first year when you may have a better understanding of what speciality you'd like?

I think this is the way to go. You’ll be exposed to a lot very early on and have carte Blanche to explore medicine once you are officially a student.

For those who did the tertiary app, how does it work? Does it get sent to you like secondaries? Is there anywhere I can take a look to prepare/write in advance, or can anyone please share what the essay prompts looked like? Thanks!

I cannot be the only one wondering this. Does anyone know where the legendary Memelord Patrick ended up getting into/matriculating?

• Haha
  • Hmm
Reactions: 4 users
I cannot be the only one wondering this. Does anyone know where the legendary Memelord Patrick ended up getting into/matriculating?
Last I heard he was outside Walmart telling people how he naturally falls into leadership positions. Walter was also there looking for his god-tier Nobel-laureate applicant and CaliPremed was wondering if 520 is the new 512.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Last I heard he was outside Walmart telling people how he naturally falls into leadership positions. Walter was also there looking for his god-tier Nobel-laureate applicant and CaliPremed was wondering if 520 is the new 512.

Walmart in Evanston Wyoming, trapped in purgatory

For those who did the tertiary app, how does it work? Does it get sent to you like secondaries? Is there anywhere I can take a look to prepare/write in advance, or can anyone please share what the essay prompts looked like? Thanks!
It was basically just two optional essays on the secondary application.

IIRC, one was 4,000 characters max asking about which specialty you'd choose and why and the other was 4,000 characters max asking about what qualities make a good physician in this specialty.

I’m 99% sure he still posts on the Premed Reddit under a fake identity / new character.

• Wow