NYU vs. BU...Decision Time

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hong586

4th Year, UC Berkeley
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm deciding between boston U and NYU; both great schools and pretty cool cities but also uniquely different. Does anyone have any advice about which i should choose? Does anyone know any stats about the schools that would help in my decision, like how the class percentage that pass the boards?

I also heard that if you want to take the western boards to work in California, those schools may not train you as well? Can anyone back that statement up with facts?

Any help would be great! :love:

WOOT!

Members don't see this ad.

you're pretty, go to NYU.

City wise, go to NYU. You don't need to search in a dental forum to know how great NYC is. I believe Boston fails in comparison to NYC.

As for stats, in particular to the %age that pass the boards....who cares? NYU and Boston are established dental schools. All dental schools (assuming they're not PBL lol) will prepare you well. The majority is up to you and your abilities to pass the boards.

Between the 2 schools, if you can afford the whole cost of NYU, I would go there. Otherwise you can't really go wrong with either.

I'm deciding between boston U and NYU; both great schools and pretty cool cities but also uniquely different. Does anyone have any advice about which i should choose? Does anyone know any stats about the schools that would help in my decision, like how the class percentage that pass the boards?

I also heard that if you want to take the western boards to work in California, those schools may not train you as well? Can anyone back that statement up with facts?

Any help would be great! :love:

WOOT!

I'm not sure about BU, but I asked my interviewer at NYU about how they prepare their students for the western boards and he said they have people from CA that help.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree. Don't know much about BU either, but NYU has a large class with a large number of matriculants from Cali (just sign up for the 2011 NYU facebook and you'll see that a large number, if not most, are from Calif). gl with your decisionmaking.

I'm not sure about BU, but I asked my interviewer at NYU about how they prepare their students for the western boards and he said they have people from CA that help.

I'm in the same little predicament w/ USC added to the equation (top three in terms of tuition cost). I too am a cali resident and plan on moving back after D-school. If only SC had a better curriculum. I very much liked NYU and BU when i visited those schools. Both schools have the patient pool. BU has a smaller class size and the APEX program which can help with networking for an associate job post graduation. i know that BU has a much higher specialization rate compared to that of NYU so that option is always there if you discover that general is something you don't want to do. Like the above poster stated, i know that NYU does have some CA residents that do assist those that want to take the western boards. I'm not sure if Boston has anything that assists students with this. Boston and new york are both sweet cities so you can't go wrong w/ your decision in that sense.

i liked nyu more...i felt like there were more oportunities there, and if you don't mind the large class size, i think it's the better choice.

i just didn't get the same vibe from bu as i did from nyu. nyu had impressive faculty, and they're big on cosmetic dentistry too, so if you're interested in that, that's always something to consider. plus location was amazing.

and in terms of money, aren't they the same price (about 80/year?)

i honestly almost picked nyu over penn...i really liked it there, and in my opinion, it's a way underrated school

Honestly, from reading these threads about NYU, i might have to give it a second chance, but honestly, if I didn't get into Pacific, BU would've been my second choice. The apex program there is definitely intriguing, and dean stoute is super cool. =)

from the people i know that went to nyu and bu, i think that the people at bu were more into dentistry (two out of the three people i know that went to nyu applied to med school at the same time and didn't get in) and personality wise, they weren't as snotty. =P but that's just my two cents.

If you want to take the WREBS, NYU does a good job preparing you.
We have classes to practice, teach and critique your work for the WREBS.
You can take the WREBS at NYU as well. I think over 100 of my classmates are taking the WREBS at NYU.
Seems like 60% of my class is from California.....no need to worry about not getting enough preparation for the WREBs.

I too had a negative impression of nyu before I went for interview, but afterwards, it was a complete 180. I do however, think it will be harder to do well at nyu compared to smaller schools. I'm talking about normal students though...great students can do well at any school.

I'm getting the overall impression that BU is the best! :laugh:

But honestly, I think BU is a great school. I feel like yes, their students may be more dental focused and have somewhat better preparation when they graduate but for the reason that their class is smaller and the city is BOSTON! (have you seen how quietly eerie and intellectual the city is?) But, i'm also drawn to that in a way...

With NYU though, when i was there, i immediately saw myself going there. Throughout the whole tour, I was imaging myself walking through the hallways in my scrubs/white coat and having a ball! I think i would enjoy the challenge of being in a large class where you can definitely excel if you put your mind to it. It's sort of like undergrad...i may have to just keep disciplining myself to do well. I dont think that's too bad. But the city,that in and of itself will just change you so much. I think being in NYU could really make someone very independent and driven and open to so many new things. sooo....i'm 95% sure i'm gonna choose NYU...that 5% is just denial.

Thanks for errr'one's responses! They really helped~ :luck: :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: (both hands and feet are making a thumbs up!)