NYU vs. Columbia- Postbacc

Discussion in 'Postbaccalaureate Programs' started by medkid, Jun 18, 2008.

1. medkid

so i've narrowed down my decision to either nyu or columbia. wonder if any of you have advice either way, or know of any pros or cons i should consider for either? obviously location, price, size, but i'm wondering if anyone has other considerations i should take into account? any first hand stories?

thanks

2. medkid

nothing, huh? i'm leaning towards columbia because it seems as though there is more support for the students there.. anyone feel that nyu would be a better choice, and why?
    thanks
    zach

3. mfsooko

7+ Year Member

Hey Zach,

I have come down to the same two schools as well... I am having a difficult decision, as both look to be reputable and have great advising. Let me know if you get any info that would tip the scales!

Michael

4. ajt2003

ajt2003 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

I went to Columbia for post-bacc and had a really great experience. The classes are very tough - those Columbia undergrads are pretty bright! - and the advising system was really what you made of it. A lot of people complained that they weren't being supported, but they also never made any effort. Also, a LOT of people dropped out after the first year b/c their hearts weren't in it, didn't think it would be so hard, etc.

I had a friend who went to NYU who really enjoyed it b/c of their accelerated program - she did everything in about a year, where it took me two years to complete the program at Columbia (although, Columbia may have a more accelerated system in place). We both ended up at the same medical school at the end of the day.

Honestly, I don't think medical schools are wowed by the Columbia/Ivy League factor. I would give each school one last look and just go where you feel more comfortable - do you like upper or lower Manhattan better? As someone on the admissions committee for UPenn School of Medicine, and a previous post-bacc, I can without a doubt tell you that the only thing that matters is doing well in your postbacc - wherever you end up.

Good luck!

5. Lindseysayshi

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Columbia does offer an accelerated sequence that starts in the spring. Just fyi!