NYU vs. Columbia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lovelyman271

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, if you guys are accepted to both schools, which school u guys gonna go to? I mean NYU facilities are all brand new (very nice), and Columbia school looks so old. Can you guys give both pros and cons of the both schools, why would u pick one not the other.

Members don't see this ad.

Here is what I have gathered after talking with serveral columbia D1's and being an NYU student myself. The NYU curriculum is sort of "front loaded". That is, you start out taking a lot of courses in a short amount of time and get most of your classes out of the way by the time third year rolls around. Columbia's first two years are much more about preparing for the boards. They take only board relavent classes in the first two years while at NYU we take many classes that won't be represented in the boards.

The plus side for Columbia students is that they are very well prepared for the boards and usually score quite a bit higher than NYU overall. The plus side for NYU students is that when third and fourth year roll around you are pretty much finished with large, stressful classes and you can spend a lot of time in the clinic.

This is the impression I'm getting from meeting students of both schools, could be inaccurate.

I would save $100,000 at Columbia. Seriously, I go to a school with nice facilities, good clinical reputation blahblah and is slightly cheaper than me for Columbia would have been. Wind the clock back a year and offer me $100k to go to CU and I'll see you in Washington Heights.

Members don't see this ad :)
Along with what's been said, Columbia loves to advertise the fact that a lot of their kids get the speciality programs they want while I've been told that NYU produces the vast majority of GPs out there (makes sense since the class is so large). Thinking about class size, Columbia has 75 while NYU has 200 something (and then some when the international students come on board). NYU breaks you into smaller groups at some points, so that's important to take into consideration as well. You might want to ask about the student:faculty ratio to get a better idea of the "bigness" of the school. When deciding between schools, just try to think about what you want in your dental education and where you think you can be most successful at completing your personal goals.

not to bash columbia or nyu, both schools suck big time at clinical education, which means that if you don't get into a specialty program, you are screwed. after all, the pay of your first few years out of school as a GP will be tied to your clinical proficiency. also, many GPR/AEGD residency program directors, especially in northeast region, favor buffalo/stony brook kids over those from columbia or nyu.

not to bash columbia or nyu, both schools suck big time at clinical education, which means that if you don't get into a specialty program, you are screwed. after all, the pay of your first few years out of school as a GP will be tied to your clinical proficiency. also, many GPR/AEGD residency program directors, especially in northeast region, favor buffalo/stony brook kids over those from columbia or nyu.

I call BS on both counts. You can get however much clinical education you want at any school if you're motivated. Sure some schools will help you out more in that area, and some will have a higher average or minimum, but it's not going to change anything for the individual.

this is a realm of your abilities. how's your PAT? columbia's been known to take a few 13's here and there. they took several 13-15 PAT's last year. i've also met a few columbians who say they're struggling a bit in the clinic. makes me wonder if they're in the ultra low PAT area.

this is a realm of your abilities. how's your PAT? columbia's been known to take a few 13's here and there. they took several 13-15 PAT's last year. i've also met a few columbians who say they're struggling a bit in the clinic. makes me wonder if they're in the ultra low PAT area.

In my knowledge the PAT has never been found to be correlated in any direction with clinical ability.

orly.jpeg

In my knowledge the PAT has never been found to be correlated in any direction with clinical ability.

it's the sole predictor of clinical success. roughly the same accuracy as the AA and TS for dental school success. more or less. that's the idea behind it.

I call BS on both counts. You can get however much clinical education you want at any school if you're motivated. Sure some schools will help you out more in that area, and some will have a higher average or minimum, but it's not going to change anything for the individual.

wow I agree on something with armorshell ;) my class on average (according to professors) spends a lot more extra time in the preclinic practicing than some other classes and we have been told that it shows. I really think it is about the individual and how much time you put into it. I understand some people may be completely untalented but there is always a need for dentist in administration, teaching and research (maybe that is why they accept people with 13 on the PAT----even though this is the first time I have heard this and I go to Columbia)

the area around nyu is much nicer and there is more to do. but the tuition is more expensive as well as the apartments. (i pay 1600$ for 2 bedroom in washington heights). just on an apartment (not involving tuition) you save enough money so you can take a cab every time you go out.
nyu is probably going to be easier though. they seem to get to go out more than we do. however, if you want to specialize you will have to work hard no matter where you go.

for me the deal breaker was where the students seemed happier (on average). at nyu i was approached by several people who told me not to go there. this didnt happen anywhere else and it left a bad impression on me.

it's the sole predictor of clinical success. roughly the same accuracy as the AA and TS for dental school success. more or less. that's the idea behind it.

Link to the study? I realize the idea behind it, but I also remember reading 3-4 studies which found that it had no statistically significant correlation to pre-clinical or clinical success. I also remember the same study found the highest predictor of clinical success was undergraduate GPA. What I don't remember is the citations for those studies. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Link to the study? I realize the idea behind it, but I also remember reading 3-4 studies which found that it had no statistically significant correlation to pre-clinical or clinical success. I also remember the same study found the highest predictor of clinical success was undergraduate GPA. What I don't remember is the citations for those studies. :laugh:

I dunno the citation, but I'm sure Pacific has access to the Jounal of Dental Education. I just remember the final result.

Anywho, it's not hard for me to believe those who just cannot reason spatially may not be doing too well in clinical. Come on...a 13? Bubble C straight down the 90 questions and you get an 12. If you can narrow down the choices to 2 and guess between those 2, you get a 15. If you can count cubes, compare angles, count holes; and narrow down the answer choices to 2 on the other, harder sections, you'll get an 18-19. Those who are scoring 13-15 are guessing.

I dunno the citation, but I'm sure Pacific has access to the Jounal of Dental Education. I just remember the final result.

Anywho, it's not hard for me to believe those who just cannot reason spatially may not be doing too well in clinical. Come on...a 13? Bubble C straight down the 90 questions and you get an 12. If you can narrow down the choices to 2 and guess between those 2, you get a 15. If you can count cubes, compare angles, count holes; and narrow down the answer choices to 2 on the other, harder sections, you'll get an 18-19. Those who are scoring 13-15 are guessing.

I was looking something up and stumbled upon the validity study on the ADA website, looks like 60% of schools had a statistically significant, though low, correlation between PAT and pre-clinical grades. I stand corrected.

However, as I mentioned before, the next highest correlation (with only 2 schools fewer finding significant correlations) was undergrad science GPA.

I got accepted to BOTH and it took me .000000000000000000001 seconds to figure out that COLUMBIA would be the better choice. :p I hope you are asking a serious question here....
Here are the Advantages of both schools:
Columbia- better rep, higher board scores, higher specialization rate, waaaay more well known, smaller class size, nobel prize winner as professor (thanks for letting me know that Shamrock ;)), cheaper tuition, EVERYONE can graduate, etc. etc. I can go on forever.

NYU- well the ONLY advantage is you don't have to do any autopsy...haha...

Hey, if you guys are accepted to both schools, which school u guys gonna go to? I mean NYU facilities are all brand new (very nice), and Columbia school looks so old. Can you guys give both pros and cons of the both schools, why would u pick one not the other.

Is it really "waaaay more well known?"

I think NYU is probably as if not more well known than Columbia, specialization rate and higher average board scores mean statistically nothing to the individual student and I highly doubt anyone who couldn't graduate from NYU would be able to at Columbia.

Columbia accepts only top students, whereas NYU makes some questionable admits. You can't start to tell me that that fact has nothing to do with any of the above, can you?

It's funny threads like this keep popping up and it invariably lead to a bit of NYU bashing. I think that if you to NYU and you excel i.e. rank among the top with high board scores you will invariably get more respect than somebody who goes to Columbia and gets so and so board scores. I constantly hear that NYU has some amazing facilities AND it is among the upper echelons of schools who get research funding according to the NIH.

Don't know why people keep bashing NYU all the time. Even in threads that have nothing to with NYU, some one will sneak in a negative comment about the school.

SHC1984, you've shown such an immense amount of 'lurvee' for CU. If Harvard accepts you, can you honestly say that you will have NOTHING negative to say about Columbia? :laugh:

I would never say anything negative about Columbia or any of the other schools I applied to and had a serious interest in attending...For example Penn waitlisted me and I still love them...LOL...
I would choose Harvard over Columbia b/c ITS HARVARD and the class size is smaller which is better...

Don't know why people keep bashing NYU all the time. Even in threads that have nothing to with NYU, some one will sneak in a negative comment about the school.

SHC1984, you've shown such an immense amount of 'lurvee' for CU. If Harvard accepts you, can you honestly say that you will have NOTHING negative to say about Columbia? :laugh:

One shouldn't choose a school because of its name.

i still don't think this thread was meant to be serious

whats up with the nyu vs columbia. theres always a debate, wether its the graduate program, undergrad program, law program, etc... do i sense a little school rivalry here???? not a pre dent, just saw the thread on the main forums page.

i dont think the schools have that much in common except for location.

just pick the school that you like more.

GO GIANTSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

i dont think the schools have that much in common except for location.

just pick the school that you like more.

GO GIANTSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

wow. i really didnt think hed make the winning fg

wow. i really didnt think hed make the winning fg

Tynes went from hell to heaven in just 10 minutes! Haha! This game was the most exciting giants game in recent years. Anyway, Go G-men! Let's go Blue!!:D

to tell you the truth, i couldnt believe it either.

reminds me of the jets game a few years back, but the jets went on to lose. i think it was the divisional playoffs?? not sure.

I would question your statement. Especially when you are talking about NYU.

what are you talking about? take a step back and read what your wrote. everybody knows you learn 95%+ of dentistry after graduating.

jb!:)