NYU vs. Columbia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ddsclassof2013

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone tell me the major different between these two?
1. I heard that Columbia lacks of clinical training,
2. dental students study with med students in some classes. Does that mean you have to study somethings that were not necessary for the dental career and for the board?
3. I heard that the curriculum at columbia will be more difficult than NYU since you take classes with med students.
4. H/P/F system, how this system works? is that apply for all classes? if yes, how columbia rank students?

Members don't see this ad.

2. dental students study with med students in some classes. Does that mean you have to study somethings that were not necessary for the dental career and for the board?
3. I heard that the curriculum at columbia will be more difficult than NYU since you take classes with med students.
4. H/P/F system, how this system works? is that apply for all classes? if yes, how columbia rank students?

I would like to add ....

If you can disregard the cost for housing and living expenses, which one would you people choose ???

I would like to add ....

If you can disregard the cost for housing and living expenses, which one would you people choose ???
actually columbia tuition is 30K cheaper than NYU

Location is not very important because they are close together and in NYC. Why columbia has high reputation while they lack clinical traning?

Members don't see this ad :)
I would like to add ....

NYU, because of location and also I don't like to take classes with medical students.

actually columbia tuition is 30K cheaper than NYU

yeah...i know...

As you said Columbia people don't have much clinical experiences, not like NYU people....That's what i heard about Columbia too....

so what i am saying is....is it still worth to go to Columbia paying less money but getting less experiences ???

yeah...i know...

As you said Columbia people don't have much clinical experiences, not like NYU people....That's what i heard about Columbia too....

so what i am saying is....is it still worth to go to Columbia paying less money but getting less experiences ???

I don't think 30K is a very big difference. In a long run if you become a dentist, you can make-up that money. Once you graduate you can easily compensate that money.

In a case of NYU vs Columbia I would mostly focus on their clinical training and environment that I feel more comfortable and to be honest I like NYU's environment. You don't need to be worry about having patients and since there are large pool of patients, you can learn so much while you are in dental school that can benefit you once you graduate and start your own practice.

thank you for replying guys. but does anyone know about question 2,3, and 4

thank you for replying guys. but does anyone know about question 2,3, and 4
columbia dental students take classes with med students in, I think their first and second years. this might make it more difficult due to the extra info...

Isn't Columbia well known for getting their students into specialty programs?

the deans and relatively closer knit community at columbia are reasons i would choose columbia over nyu

Isn't Columbia well known for getting their students into specialty programs?
if you study materials that you dont need in the board, do you get overwhelm and end up with lower score? But NYU focus every lectures for the board. How come columbia is well known to get there students to specialties? Is this because the school's name? or because they only accept 76 student and 40ish apply to specialize, so the % matching is higher than NYU. NYU has about 300 students and i dont know how many of them would apply for specialize, maybe 150 and above (that's 50%)

Back when I interviewed there I was flat out told not to attend Columbia if I was interested in becoming a GP -- the curriculum there is designed to take into account the residency requirement for practicing in NY. They expect you to continue your education after graduating
Maybe? For example, NYU's "gross anatomy" places a strong emphasis on the neck and head and we don't even touch lower limbs. You'll learn it all at Columbia. Is that necessary for the boards/practicing? I don't know...
So dental school is easier than med school?? I don't know if I'd agree with that. I know the Dental Students are graded and curved separately from the Med students
My understanding is that you receive a numerical grade for your coursework but it isn't released to you -- instead you receive an H/P/F. However, the numerical grade is what is used to calculate rank.

Both are good schools but are as black and white as you get. I want to specialize and if I had gotten in I would have gone to CU for that reason. However, I am receiving a tremendous education here at NYU and my classmates who aspire to becoming GP's are much better off here than had they gone to CU instead.

Lastly, NYU's location is New York. CU is on 168th. If you don't know New York, that is WAY uptown -- Central Park ends around 100th or so. Midtown is in the fifties. Village is in the teens. Everything you think of when you think of New York is much closer to NYU than CU. If that matters to you...

PM me if you have any other questions!!

I don't think 30K is a very big difference. In a long run if you become a dentist, you can make-up that money. Once you graduate you can easily compensate that money.

In a case of NYU vs Columbia I would mostly focus on their clinical training and environment that I feel more comfortable and to be honest I like NYU's environment. You don't need to be worry about having patients and since there are large pool of patients, you can learn so much while you are in dental school that can benefit you once you graduate and start your own practice.

Its 30K A YEAR fyi, according to the interview packets, if you plan to borrow for everything you will need about $75,000 a year for Columbia and about $100,000 for NYU. After four years thats $120,000 plus lots of interest if you consider that this difference will be the last of your loan being paid off. In all reality, it could be a $200,000 difference.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks so much for your input, Mackchop. i was also wondering how many are specializing each yr at NYU? (i.e. top 10%-15% as well??) and do you enjoy being in newyork city?

does columbia record the lecture and post them on itunes like NUY does?

thanks so much for your input, Mackchop. i was also wondering how many are specializing each yr at NYU? (i.e. top 10%-15% as well??) and do you enjoy being in newyork city?

As I understand it, about 12% went on to specialize this year. I don't know where they ranked or how many applied, but that's just shy of 40 students, 12 of which went into OMFS.

I enjoy being in NYC. I'm glad I'm experiencing this. However, I'm a country boy and I'll be settling down somewhere rural or suburban when all is done -- I don't think I'd want to start a practice or a family here.

I am interested to know too, because in my interview session at NYU, we were told that if we miss a session we can go back and listen to the lecture recorded on itunes and I really like the idea because I feel sometimes I can not concentrate during lectures and help me to go over materials at night. Does Columbia offer the same thing?

That's interesting that they mentioned that at your interview -- we just started the iTunesU thing this semester. But we've been recording for awhile and it's a HUGE help! Even if I attended the lecture, some profs talk too fast to catch everything. Download the podcasts onto your iPod and listen to lectures on the train into the city each morning. Or while at the gym. I love it.

I don't know if Columbia does recordings. If not, it's easy enough to buy a little recorder. You might even be able to plug your ipod into the lecture hall's PA system. It's probably doable even if it's not centralized.

I would also bring up class size. Columbia has a significantly smaller class size. The student:faculty ratio is a lot smaller as well. I would argue that you would get more personal attention from your instructors. With some of the earlier posts, the idea of taking classes with med students turned people off. Columbia stresses a comprehensive, patient-centered philosophy. I assume once you graduate, you'll be more like a dental student who has AEGD or GPR training (opinion obviously). Also, from the interview, the dean said that more than 95% of their students specialize.

I would also bring up class size. Columbia has a significantly smaller class size. The student:faculty ratio is a lot smaller as well. I would argue that you would get more personal attention from your instructors. With some of the earlier posts, the idea of taking classes with med students turned people off. Columbia stresses a comprehensive, patient-centered philosophy. I assume once you graduate, you'll be more like a dental student who has AEGD or GPR training (opinion obviously). Also, from the interview, the dean said that more than 95% of their students specialize.

Just based on what I've read in other threads, the inflated specialization rate probably comes from two main causes. 1) the students who are accepted are usually high-caliber candidates so they would have probably specialized or competed for one regardless of the school that they went to. If a person has a 4.0 and a 23 from emory and want's to specialize, I'm sure they can find a way to compete whether at Columbia or Howard or whatever. 2) if there is a deficiency in clinical training, then maybe in order to function as a GP many of the students essentially HAVE TO do a GPR or AEGD just to get adequate training and experience before going into private practice. As far as I know, the GPR/AEGD students are definitely included in the "specialization" statistics.

In short. I don't think it really matters which school you go to if you want to specialize. If you're smart enough and work hard enough, you can at least come close to competing regardless of where you are.

No, we do not study the lower limbs, although we do study else where in the body, which you have to know for the boards anyway

My understanding is that you receive a numerical grade for your coursework but it isn't released to you -- instead you receive an H/P/F. However, the numerical grade is what is used to calculate rank.

Both are good schools but are as black and white as you get. I want to specialize and if I had gotten in I would have gone to CU for that reason. However, I am receiving a tremendous education here at NYU and my classmates who aspire to becoming GP's are much better off here than had they gone to CU instead.

Lastly, NYU's location is New York. CU is on 168th. If you don't know New York, that is WAY uptown -- Central Park ends around 100th or so. Midtown is in the fifties. Village is in the teens. Everything you think of when you think of New York is much closer to NYU than CU. If that matters to you...

PM me if you have any other questions!!

Unfortunately, that's what I hear from the upper classmates
They might be unnecessary for the dental career, but I believe that those materials are covered in the board exams
3. I heard that the curriculum at columbia will be more difficult than NYU since you take classes with med students. I'm not sure about this. I haven't had a chance to attend both dental schools
4. H/P/F system, how this system works? is that apply for all classes? if yes, how columbia rank students?H/P/F applies to all classes. Although I'm not certain how they rank their students, they do have a ranking system

I hope these answers will help you make a decision

I would choose columbia over nyu any day. 300 students per class at nyu is not what i call a conducive learning environment... plus over 15 students fail out in the first year. unless nyu gave me a hefty scholarship, i'd go to columbia, easy.

I would choose columbia over nyu any day. 300 students per class at nyu is not what i call a conducive learning environment... plus over 15 students fail out in the first year. unless nyu gave me a hefty scholarship, i'd go to columbia, easy.

lol what makes u think over 15 students fail out in the first year? u googled it urself?

We lost four students last year. They failed both the regular semester class and summer remediation.

As I know that NYU use plasticized cadavers in the lab. so student dont have to dissect. how about Columbia?

As I know that NYU use plasticized cadavers in the lab. so student dont have to dissect. how about Columbia?
We have to dig into our cadavers, but it's actually fun, at least to me.

Columbia 100%.

Ivy, classes with medical school, excellent specialization rates, great instruction.

Plastic cadavers, WOOHOO!

why would you want classes with medical students? when you have your own science curriculum, it can be taylored to dentistry. when you learn antibiotics they can hit the ones your gonna need to know harder. when you're doing pathology, you can add oral manifestations or dermal manifestations that you will see. you can be with med students all day ... if you apply to med school. haha just my opinion.

SDN is hilarious. Recently there has been anti ivy school heated debates and locked threads. Critics claim that there is no reason to pay more for an ivy name since the same education can be gotten at a state school. While I partially agree with that statement it is hypocritical for many of these same people not to cry foul for someone even thinking of picking NYU over Columbia.

NYU is the MOST EXPENSIVE SCHOOL IN THE NATION. This shouldn't even be up for discussion. If the OP got into both schools then surly he/she has the stats to get into other cheaper schools. If you are concerned about money (which you should be) just go to the cheapest school you get into. NYU, Columbia, or otherwise.

SDN is hilarious. Recently there has been anti ivy school heated debates and locked threads. Critics claim that there is no reason to pay more for an ivy name since the same education can be gotten at a state school. While I partially agree with that statement it is hypocritical for many of these same people not to cry foul for someone even thinking of picking NYU over Columbia.

NYU is the MOST EXPENSIVE SCHOOL IN THE NATION. This shouldn't even be up for discussion. If the OP got into both schools then surly he/she has the stats to get into other cheaper schools. If you are concerned about money (which you should be) just go to the cheapest school you get into. NYU, Columbia, or otherwise.

haha. nice pull aceofspades. true.

also, i think USC might be a bit more expensive, but that's just splitting hairs w/o factoring in cost of living. so i hope no one takes this thread there.