NYU vs. Cornell

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PhillyFrenetic

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Posted this on aunt minnie and somehow it was deleted. People on Aunt Minnie would rather bicker about which program is the best in the country, list program rankings with no explanations, and bash St. Louis and Baltimore. Please help out if you can. I apologize for the rant-like length of this post.

- Is NYU's research that much better than Cornell's when you factor in Memorial Sloan Kettering's research dollars (15 million in radiology research). Does anyone know if Cornell residents often do research with MSKCC attendigs or is it difficult?
- if one is interested in going into academics, would NYU give an advantage?
- NYU's faculty is nearly double the size, but overall the environment is more formal. Does having a friendlier vibe at Cornell make that much of a difference?
- Does anyone else worry that Cornell's residency may be too cush. Do NYU residents come out stronger radiologists because of their autonomous alone call and experiences at Bellevue and the VA?

Any other thoughts would be much appreciated. I'm really struggling with who to rank higher and I could use some outside persoective.

Members don't see this ad.

Posted this on aunt minnie and somehow it was deleted. People on Aunt Minnie would rather bicker about which program is the best in the country, list program rankings with no explanations, and bash St. Louis and Baltimore. Please help out if you can. I apologize for the rant-like length of this post.

- Is NYU's research that much better than Cornell's when you factor in Memorial Sloan Kettering's research dollars (15 million in radiology research). Does anyone know if Cornell residents often do research with MSKCC attendigs or is it difficult?
- NYU's faculty is nearly double the size, but overall the environment is more formal. Does having a friendlier vibe at Cornell make that much of a difference?
- Does anyone else worry that Cornell's residency may be too cush. Do NYU residents come out stronger radiologists because of their autonomous alone call and experiences at Bellevue and the VA?

Any other thoughts would be much appreciated. I'm really struggling with who to rank higher and I could use some outside persoective.

I didn't interview at Cornell so I don't have specifics about that program but I have some thoughts about NYU and in general.

NYU definitely has a formal environment but all of the attendings I met seemed nice and didn't get that malignant vibe at all from the program. They do work hard there (residents were straight up about it) but it didn't seem extreme and the residents seemed happy and had enough time to enjoy the city.

As far as the cushiness I have the same concerns at some other places but it's hard to tell as a 4th year how important a factor that is.

FWIW, most people I've talked to about NYU vs Cornell seem to have Cornell higher but that's because of location, cushiness, and Sloan/HSS. The folks interested in academics have NYU higher.

Yeah, or try mentioning that you ranked Cornell over NYU and have someone accuse you of not having gotten an interview in the first place. AM is a ridiculous place sometimes.

Does NYU have an overall better reputation in academic circles? Yeah. Does the friendliness of Cornell outweigh the possible potential benefits of coming from NYU? That's really up to you to decide. I will say that when I interviewed 2 years ago, I had the feeling that Cornell was an up and coming program and that its reputation in academia would only continue to rise. For me, that fact coupled with Cornell's overall friendliness/warmer environment was enough for me to rank it higher. And I was interested in academics, for what it's worth. My only concern about Cornell was that they have 24 hour attending in-house coverage, something with which I vehemently disagree, but I felt I could overcome the feeling of "safety" if I matched there.

Not everyone would make the same decision, and there really is no right or wrong answer here. Go with your gut and know you'll be well-trained coming from either.

Bump...would really appreciate any opinions please. I am really having a hard time deciding.