NYU vs. Mount Sinai

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swk

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which school is better and why? Definitely both have a nice location, but what are the clinical/research benefits of each? Anybody have a real preference between the two?

Members don't see this ad.

I would say NYU. Downtown the location is much better and more fun than in Spanish Harlem/Upper East side. Also, I like the NYU block curriculum a lot better than taking 3 or 4 classes simultaneously at Mount Sinai. But in the end you should pick based on happiness and career goals. For example, I know that NYU has one of the best Plastics Departments in the country and I would definitely be going there. So do some deep internal thinking and then have a good time because you are picking between two great options either way. Hope this helped.

this one's been done ad naseum. do a search.

i would go with mssm because the school seems to have happier students (based on sdn observations), better living accomodations, and it's right next to the train line and central park. although nyu is definitely in a cool *part* of nyc, i was underwhelmed by the surrounding neighborhood in relation to other parts of manhattan. i think you'd still need to travel to get to the *really* good stuff, and so mssm's distance may not matter so much considering that it's right on a subway line. maybe new yorkers can comment on that.

these are my thoughts regardless of being waitlisted at nyu and not given an interview at mssm. i was really hoping mssm would give me a shot. oh well. congrats if you're deciding on which to go to.

Members don't see this ad :)
NYU because I'm waitlisted at Sinai (hardy har har).

MSSM students definitely seem a little less high strung than most, including NYU. However I have to say that I have a few close friends at various stages of med school at NYU and they seem to like it. As an NYU employee I have to say that this place is a bureaucratic nightmare. I'm shocked that anything ever gets done. As a student I'm sure you'd be somewhat sheltered from that, but still....it's exasperating. I think it's partially a New York thing, so the same might be true at Sinai, but I don't know the institution as well. Can you imagine the task of merging the hospitals a few years ago? No thank you.... No wonder it didn't work out!

The big difference is Mt Sinai is not a University. So it is completely focused on training you as a doctor. All the administration is for doing medically related things, so you'll have less bureaucracy to deal with. On top of that, Sinai students are really happy and have much better housing.

I also got the feeling that the Financial aid is better at Mount Sinai, they use a fixed formula to determine how much they help you out in paying the bill, whereas at NYU it seems they make awards on a first come first serve basis which seems to imply they only allocate a limited amount of funds to help students out paying for the cost of the school. If that is the case, it would stand to reason that NYU would be much more expensive. I really wonder how equal the clinical opportunities are? I saw the Mount Sinai match list and I wasn't exactly blown away, and NYU hasn't even posted a match list for any year after 2004 (currently on their website they have 2002's).

neither b/c nyu rejected me and i still havent heard a peep from mssm :laugh:

when i visited, i was more fond of the mssm campus/area/buildings/etc.

I'm not very familiar with what to look for on the matchlist, but why do you say that Mount Sinai's matchlist doesn't blow you away? I mean they seem to match a lot of people to the NYC residencies which I'm guessing are all very good.

i can't open nyu's. mssm matched 10 ppl to optho? that seems really unusual.

you have to click the link and then goto the link given on the page. It works fine on my computer...

I'm not very familiar with what to look for on the matchlist, but why do you say that Mount Sinai's matchlist doesn't blow you away? I mean they seem to match a lot of people to the NYC residencies which I'm guessing are all very good.

What do you think in comparison of the two though?

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't interview at NYU but I did at MSSM. I was only "eh" about the school after my interview. The student population is very young and it made the school seem even more...high school. I understsand med school is a fish bowl/high school repeat but I found this to be MOST true at MSSM. I was also disappointed by what seems to be the lack of desire to outreach into poor/disadvantaged communities. This was just my experience, tons of other people have had realy positive ones so take all advice with a grain of salt.

you have to click the link and then goto the link given on the page. It works fine on my computer...

i "click here to view the list" and it indicates an "error on page." oh well.

edit: blackrsx' link worked. thanks.

i "click here to view the list" and it indicates an "error on page." oh well.

does this work?

http://www.med.nyu.edu/registrar/clinical/matchlist2007.html

if you want the competitive specialties they are

Ophthalmology - 8
Anesthesiology - 7
Dermatology - 3
Plastics - 2
Rads - 8
Rad Onc - 2
Neurosurg - 4

Looks like most go to NYU, followed by a healthy mix of Harvard, UPenn, Yale, Cornell, UCLA, Mt. Sinai, Einstein affiliates

NYU is weird with residencies, some years they'll match 16 Rads and little Neurosurg and Derm and vice versa - from what I gather everyone pretty much can get the specialty of their choice coming from there

does this work?

http://www.med.nyu.edu/registrar/clinical/matchlist2007.html

if you want the competitive specialties they are

Ophthalmology - 8
Anesthesiology - 7
Dermatology - 3
Plastics - 2
Rads - 8
Rad Onc - 2
Neurosurg - 4

Looks like most go to NYU, followed by a healthy mix of Harvard, UPenn, Yale, Cornell, UCLA, Mt. Sinai, Einstein affiliates

NYU is weird with residencies, some years they'll match 16 Rads and little Neurosurg and Derm and vice versa - from what I gather everyone pretty much can get the specialty of their choice coming from there

wow when you click on the link, that match list is actually really impressive. I knew they did well but they had quite a few in the boston hospitals(aka harvard) and a bunch at UPenn, yale, etc. and a range of fields..looks like they have the northeast residencies on lock down...might have to reconsider my stance on NYU

wow when you click on the link, that match list is actually really impressive. I knew they did well but they had quite a few in the boston hospitals(aka harvard) and a bunch at UPenn, yale, etc. and a range of fields..looks like they have the northeast residencies on lock down...might have to reconsider my stance on NYU

That's what I'm saying. I definitely didn't know that they did so well, but it looks like the students get a lot of choices in a lot of specialties in a lot of great hospitals.

when judging match lists let's not forget that NYU's class is significantly larger (33%) than Mount Sinai's, and the specialty people match into is based on their preferences. You just can't total up the number of lifestyle specialties to determine the quality of a match list.

Coming from NYU or Mount Sinai, you will match well if you did well during medical school. Go to wherever you liked more based on the interview/2nd look visit.

when judging match lists let's not forget that NYU's class is significantly larger (33%) than Mount Sinai's, and the specialty people match into is based on their preferences. You just can't total up the number of lifestyle specialties to determine the quality of a match list.

Coming from NYU or Mount Sinai, you will match well if you did well during medical school. Go to wherever you liked more based on the interview/2nd look visit.

I don't understand what you meant about the specialty people matching based on their preferences, i guess I am unfamiliar with the whole match list thing. could you please explain that to me?

I don't understand what you meant about the specialty people matching based on their preferences, i guess I am unfamiliar with the whole match list thing. could you please explain that to me?

i think what he means is that not everyone at mssm wanted to match into derm. we have no way of knowing how many people *wanted* to match into any particular specialty based on a match list. so school x may match fewer people into plastic surgery than school y, but what if school y had ten times the number of people trying to match into plastic surgery than school x? that might make school x more impressive to me. but we have no way of knowing this from a match list or any other convenient source.

i strongly agree that nyu and mssm will give you the same opportunities for the residency you want, and the biggest factor will be your own efforts. you should focus on other aspects of the schools when comparing them.

I think they are referring to the fact that just b/c NYU has more matches in competitive specialties (i.e. the harder ones to get), and aside from the fact that it has a larger applicant pool, this number varies year to year based on the number of students who actually want to match into these more difficult specialities. What's more important is looking at the quality of the institutions these applicants match into rather than at the specialties themselves.

from what i gather from the previous threads, NYU matches better in more competitive residencies, and MSSM is coming back from some significant financial problems....

from what i gather from the previous threads, NYU matches better in more competitive residencies, and MSSM is coming back from some significant financial problems....

i've gathered quite the contrary from previous threads--that both schools pretty much match the same. i think you'd be making a mistake if you let your (necessarily limited, despite trying to read more into it) interpretation of match lists dictate where you go, when there's really no difference in this regard. you should also disregard that nyu has been steadily slipping in the usnews rankings. *the names of both schools will take you equally far.* it's time to focus on which school is cheaper or will make you happier or something else.

and nyu is still trying to get out of debt itself (both schools partitioned debt after the failed merger). a newsletter you can download off nyu's website discusses this.

i've gathered quite the contrary from previous threads--that both schools pretty much match the same. i think you'd be making a mistake if you let your (necessarily limited, despite trying to read more into it) interpretation of match lists dictate where you go, when there's really no difference in this regard. you should also disregard that nyu has been steadily slipping in the usnews rankings. *the names of both schools will take you equally far.* it's time to focus on which school is cheaper or will make you happier or something else.

and nyu is still trying to get out of debt itself (both schools partitioned debt after the failed merger). a newsletter you can download off nyu's website discusses this.

ok....so what if i said i like the location better, ha! :idea:

The one listed above is the 2006..

Thanks!

Here is the unverified match list 2007 from the MSSM allo thread, talk amongst yourselves...

Program Name Institution Name
Anesthesiology Yale-New Haven Hosp-CT
Anesthesiology Mt Sinai Hospital-NY
Anesthesiology Yale-New Haven Hosp-CT
Anesthesiology NYU School of Medicine
Anesthesiology Duke Univ Med Ctr-NC
Anesthesiology NYP Hosp-Columbia Univ Med Ctr-NY
Anesthesiology NYU School of Medicine