nyu vs. sinai

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

overthinker

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
am obsessing over this decision.

like sinai location/culture/housing/flexibility and electives. was turned off when 1) on two consecutive second-look days, case conferences/attending rounds were cancelled, 2) class i attended was unstimulating and residents (mostly pgy1s) failed to participate at all, 3) rounds were not teaching-oriented at all.

liked nyu esprit de corps/diversity of patients and sites/pd's/resident enthusiasm but was worried about feeling overwhelmed/overworked/drowned in busywork or paperwork/depressed by the physical environment.

thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

As for NYU, they have a wider variety of patients than Sinai, hands down. There are indeed a number of training sites, perhaps too many -- is there really a big difference between Tisch and Lenox Hill? PDs are both great. I hear the third year there is really tough, because you're on your own to run your own schedule, book appointments, schedule supervision etc. It's supposed to be the toughest year, if I recall correctly. I sat in on lectures there, and I found them to be not unlike what you're describing at Sinai. Some of the PGY2s routinely didn't show until an hour or two into lecture (this is often due to commuting in from another training site, though that could also be a problem). That said, my experience on the floor was truly outstanding, and I owe that to great attendings, though again rounds were not that teaching oriented. I think the differences between those programs come out in the wash. Good luck.

overthinker said:
am obsessing over this decision.

like sinai location/culture/housing/flexibility and electives. was turned off when 1) on two consecutive second-look days, case conferences/attending rounds were cancelled, 2) class i attended was unstimulating and residents (mostly pgy1s) failed to participate at all, 3) rounds were not teaching-oriented at all.

liked nyu esprit de corps/diversity of patients and sites/pd's/resident enthusiasm but was worried about feeling overwhelmed/overworked/drowned in busywork or paperwork/depressed by the physical environment.

thoughts?