NYU vs SUNY Downstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

redrose13

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been accepted by Downstate and waitlisted by NYU.

The problem I'm having is deciding which school is the best fit for me.
  • Both have dual MD/MPH degrees which matters more to me than lab based and clinical research
  • They both prepare their students really well when it comes to their clinical skills.
  • They both serve low income populations and have unique patient populations which is a plus
  • NYU has newer facilities but Downstate is almost done constructing a new health sci center
I'm having trouble deciding what I would do if I was taken off the NYU waitlist. This struggle is preventing me from actually enjoying the fact I've been accepted by Downstate and waitlisted by NYU

Please Help!!!

Members don't see this ad.

NYU has a better reputation and it will help come match time. All things being equal I would choose NYU - the question now it about tuition? Did Downstate give you any money?

NYU has a better reputation and it will help come match time. All things being equal I would choose NYU - the question now it about tuition? Did Downstate give you any money?

I haven't submitted my financial aid yet... but Im going to!

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't even worry yourself about it until you're forced into that decision. Enjoy your acceptance now, and cross that bridge if it happens. Remember, if you get into NYU it may make for a tough decision (although IMO NYU wins out, pending financial info), but there are much worse things in life than getting into NYU SOM :).

Reactions: 1 user
I wouldn't even worry yourself about it until you're forced into that decision. Enjoy your acceptance now, and cross that bridge if it happens. Remember, if you get into NYU it may make for a tough decision (although IMO NYU wins out, pending financial info), but there are much worse things in life than getting into NYU SOM :).

You have a point. I'll try to remember that and worry about it later. Thank you again :)

IF you're accepted, NYU 110%. Better name (by a lot), better residency programs across the board, better facilities/hospital affiliates. There's pretty much no reason to pick Downstate over NYU.

Reactions: 1 users
I may be in a similar position as you but my choice would be between stony brook and NYU. Not sure how I would choose either

IF you're accepted, NYU 110%. Better name (by a lot), better residency programs across the board, better facilities/hospital affiliates. There's pretty much no reason to pick Downstate over NYU.
Cost.

Downstate has a really impressive match list and the clinical training is unparalleled in terms of responsibilities students get. I got a strong sense during my interview that Downstate is a safety net for many low income people in Brooklyn--might be a very eye opening experience. Not to mention the money you'd save. Just my two cents- if you're very research focused certainly NYU might be a better fit.

Personally, I think the difference between a top 10 school and a middle of the road school is worth the cost, especially if one is interested in competitive specialties.
I get what you're saying but your original post made it sound more like a fact than a opinion. Also I dont think NYU is top 10 bUT I get your point

Last edited:
It really depends on you and your interests. If you're gunning for a residency in neurosurgery/orthopedics etc at Johns Hopkins/Harvard etc then NYU is probably the way to go. However if you're more interested in a less competitive specialty like primary care, then is the high cost of nyu worth it? I'm not sure that it necessarily would be. It also depends on your own personal taste. I interviewed at NYU and knew immediately that it wasn't not a good fit for me. I felt uncomfortable throughout a lot of the interview day. You should go to whichever school make sure more sense for your personality, interests, and finances. Don't go to NYU simply because it is ranked higher.

It really depends on you and your interests. If you're gunning for a residency in neurosurgery/orthopedics etc at Johns Hopkins/Harvard etc then NYU is probably the way to go. However if you're more interested in a less competitive specialty like primary care, then is the high cost of nyu worth it? I'm not sure that it necessarily would be. It also depends on your own personal taste. I interviewed at NYU and knew immediately that it wasn't not a good fit for me. I felt uncomfortable throughout a lot of the interview day. You should go to whichever school make sure more sense for your personality, interests, and finances. Don't go to NYU simply because it is ranked higher.

I'm personally interested in Family Medicine (primary care) so I see how going to NYU wont really make a difference in that. And you make alot of good points that I'll make sure to consider esp how I would fit in and if the school matches my interests.

If I may ask, what about NYU made yout feel uncomfortable? The student body? The city environment?

I'm personally interested in Family Medicine (primary care) so I see how going to NYU wont really make a difference in that. And you make alot of good points that I'll make sure to consider esp how I would fit in and if the school matches my interests.
It's probably worth talking to people at NYU about that. As I understand it, NYU doesn't have much of a family Med rotation. At least that's what they explained during my visit. They said they were trying to create a program at Long Island but it wouldn't be up and running for awhile. Worth your looking into. NYU is also very weak in pediatrics (they're not affiliated with any children's hospital).

If I may ask, what about NYU made yout feel uncomfortable? The student body? The city environment?
The interview group was very large (around 30 people) and felt incredibly impersonal and a bit rough compared to the other 8 interviews that I attended. In the info session they seemed a bit fixated on their rankings also. Which was off putting for me, as someone whose really not into rankings.

I also didn't mesh as well with the other students interviewing there, compared to other places I interviewed at. Nothing personal against them, I just don't really seem to jibe with any of them. Most seemed very much like the athletic, privileged, northeastern types- again, nothing personal... it's just not me.

Our tour guide enthusiastically showed us several cadavers during the tour. His nonchalance about it made me uncomfortable- like it was a novelty. This was off putting, especially considering NYUs recent controversy with disposing of cadavers disrespectfully/improperly.

NYU doesn't really send anyone into primary care and they have very weak rotations in family Med and pediatrics (two fields I'm interested in). They're not even affiliated with a children's hospital.

And finally, I don't like Manhattan at all! Way too crowded and busy. I much prefer smaller cities and suburbs. Whew, hope that answer wasn't too much info haha :)

It's probably worth talking to people at NYU about that. As I understand it, NYU doesn't have much of a family Med rotation. At least that's what they explained during my visit. They said they were trying to create a program at Long Island but it wouldn't be up and running for awhile. Worth your looking into. NYU is also very weak in pediatrics (they're not affiliated with any children's hospital).

I talked to a student before but it wasn't helpful because NYU was their top choice and didn't have any helpful insight. I also didn't know they didn't place any emphasis on family emphasis. That is really help info to know.