NYU vs. Touro

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mgh7860993

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
For applicants who have been accepted to both NYU and Touro, I am wondering which school people chose between the two and what factors were part of your decision? Especially applicants out of state, from different regions of the country, how did you select between these two schools? I know there are various different factors to consider, Touro having a cheaper cost of attendance and cost of living, as well as a smaller class size and outside of a big city vs. NYU which is well-established, has a large patient pool, but more expensive and has a larger class size.

Members don't see this ad.

Unless the cost difference is a really significant one (what is your cost breakdown?), NYU all the way. Touro's program is absolutely brand new; there is no possible way of knowing what your D3+D4 clinical years will be like there. It's possible that the first class or two they graduate will go through "guinea pig" years in the clinic where they work things out. Will they have enough patients to work on in their locations? Enough cases to get the experience you need? No way to know until the first class graduates.

Compare that to NYU, which has a good clinical reputation, and a very very large patient pool.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Unless the cost difference is a really significant one (what is your cost breakdown?), NYU all the way. Touro's program is absolutely brand new; there is no possible way of knowing what your D3+D4 clinical years will be like there. It's possible that the first class or two they graduate will go through "guinea pig" years in the clinic where they work things out. Will they have enough patients to work on in their locations? Enough cases to get the experience you need? No way to know until the first class graduates.

Compare that to NYU, which has a good clinical reputation, and a very very large patient pool.

It may be a difference of about 100k or more between NYU and Touro, NYU being the more expensive one

It may be a difference of about 100k or more between NYU and Touro, NYU being the more expensive one
That is a difference of 1-2 years of working after graduation. I would go with the cheaper school with a smaller class size.

It sounds like you may save some money by going to Touro, but you should know that a lot of employers and residencies will be very wary of hiring/matching you out of school. Because Touro is a completely new school this is a situation where the knee jerk 'cheaper school' advice rings a little hollow. It depends on what your personal situation is. Do you have a family practice or something with an associateship waiting for you after you graduate? Or do you have no connections to the dental world outside school?

I would chose the cheaper school. With standardized exams like the ADAT and CBSE people will be specializing from any school.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

NYU in my opinion. a lot of the faculty here poke fun at touro, because 1. there was never a need for a new dental school in new york state, especially in this area and 2. they are not going to have a solid patient pool based off of the demographics of westchester county...a lot of faculty here have their own practices there and they will attest to it.

but at the end of the day, Touro is accredited and you will get a DDS degree....so whatever floats your boat i suppose