NYU VS UCONN which one?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kaelkastro

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Both of these schools are my top choices but I am having difficulties choosing which school is best for me. Could someone help me out!

Members don't see this ad.

UCONN does pretty well on both part I and part II of the boards

NYU has a pretty nice clinical patient pool. But who wants to pay like a thousand dolla a month rent for living in downtown NYC?

First off congrats. I'm a med student at UConn where the dentals take basic science classes with us for the first two years. From what I've heard from my dental classmates, UConn Dental is considered one of the top two dental schools in the country. The curriculum is very rigorous, but appears to pay dividends in the end. I'd suggest speaking with dental students at each of these schools to get a first hand impression and to compare experiences. Good luck.

UCONN

1. You will save loads of money, even if you are from out of state.

2. UCONN consistently ROCKS the boards (Part I & II) every year, so they must be academically teaching them something right over there. (Do a search on their site and you'll find articles bragging about their board scores).

3. UCONN sends a large proportion of their class to specialize, if this is something you are thinking about. A student there told me that 8 of the students in the Class of 2001 were going to pursue Oral Surgery. Eight students is a lot when there are only like 40 in the entire class.

4. I haven't seen NYU, but the facility is really nice at Connecticut.

But the best way for you to make this decision is to talk to upperclassmen and especially recent graduates of the school. IMO, the only reason you should even consider NYU is if there is some extreme circumstance that you have to say in NYC (like family issues or something). However, I am a big fan of the state schools and don't feel you should attend a pricey private school if you have a cheaper option. And in your case, UCONN is a cheaper and a very good alternative option.

Good luck!