NYU wants one more LOR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

labmunkie

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All.

I've got a bit of a dilemma. NYU just informed me that I need one more LOR from a professor that taught a course I took before they review my app. I'm a nontrad and had a difficult time just getting the one instructor LOR I currently have. I read the website and knew of the requirement when I first applied but I had hoped they would work around it like Pitt did. Now I'm scrambling to get this additional LOR but none of my profs will write one for me since they hardly even recognize my name amongst the hundreds of other students in the class.

HELP!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi All.

I've got a bit of a dilemma. NYU just informed me that I need one more LOR from a professor that taught a course I took before they review my app. I'm a nontrad and had a difficult time just getting the one instructor LOR I currently have. I read the website and knew of the requirement when I first applied but I had hoped they would work around it like Pitt did. Now I'm scrambling to get this additional LOR but none of my profs will write one for me since they hardly even recognize my name amongst the hundreds of other students in the class.

HELP!

Do you know if they at least refund your money back?

I advice to meet the profs personally, its harder to say no when the students are in front of you :) Give them all resume, marks, etc. Even tell them, I will write the reference and all you have to do is read, agree and sign...bet you one says yes...

edit: even have the reference letter (+ pen handy) prepared before you go to visit them...the prof would be hard pressed to say no

A lot of professors have at least a somewhat standard letter that they write for people they aren't that familiar with (especially science profs for the huge intro classes), so I wouldn't worry too much about having to ask...not the most personal of recommendations, but to fullfill a requirement, it'll do. :) :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd visit each one if I could but most of them won't be back on campus until the start of the Fall Quarter which is the end of September. Do you think this would put me far behind? Would you suggest contacting the Dean of Admissions about this to explain my situation or would that just make matters worse?

:confused:

I'd visit each one if I could but most of them won't be back on campus until the start of the Fall Quarter which is the end of September. Do you think this would put me far behind? Would you suggest contacting the Dean of Admissions about this to explain my situation or would that just make matters worse?

:confused:

does not hurt to ask! it will certaining hurt if your stats are average. but if you have a 35+ and 3.8+ this should not matter so much. Plus its only 1 school right?

EDIT: do they totally ignore you via email? This strategy works via email too. send them a LOR, and tell them to upload it electronically via interfolio...easy job...