nyucd students plz help.........

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stepping stone

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i just got accepted in nyu for the idp program and needed advice from the current students of nyu as to:
  • what is the student to chair ratio in the clinics.
  • do they emphasize on the clinical skills of the students, i mean do we get to do challenging cases of molar root canals, multiple unit bridges, implants or are they referred to their specialty departments.
  • what is percentage of students going to specialties from each class.
  • how hard is it to study in a HUGE class.
i really appreciate your help.
thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey I graduated (DDS)recently from NYU.They have enough chairs for all students and also enough patients and enough exposure in all fields implants,crowns,bridges,endos.So,donot worry just join:laugh:

hi amulaya,
your input is really appreciated.......thanks for clearing all my doubts and for rejuvenating my spirits for joining nyu...........:)
stepping stone

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, I'm looking for a dental student from any university in california who's going to take NBDE part 1 at the end of october or so. please, let me know. Thanks.

• what is the student to chair ratio in the clinics.
  • do they emphasize on the clinical skills of the students, i mean do we get to do challenging cases of molar root canals, multiple unit bridges, implants or are they referred to their specialty departments.
  • what is percentage of students going to specialties from each class.
  • how hard is it to study in a HUGE class.

1) Generally, ~46 students to 32 chairs. With a fairly consistent rate of overall disappointments and no shows and the fact that there are multiple modules, you can pretty much always get a chair.

2) This is a question that's suis generis particularly by predents and 1st year students, but once you get to clinic and treating patients you'll quickly discover that pretty much EVERYTHING is challenging, that first time when a patient sits in your chair is one of the biggest, HOLY CRAP I KNOW NOTHING moments you'll have. Various learning curves aside, diligence, familiarity and repetition will be the only way for you to improve yourself, hence the name "practice". Will you get to do procedures that's considered more complex than what one might consider routine dentistry? Of course, but there will also be procedures where though you consider it do-able, it will get sent out to Post-Grads.

3) I have no idea about percentage of specialties, but if you're capable, dedicated and is willing to put in the time, there's no school-based obstacles in your way. On the other hand, if you're the suck to begin with, NYU, or any school really, is not going to somehow magically propel to the top echelons of your class. Within the first semester you'll quickly get a feel for where you are and what you will have to do and whether or not you truly want to specialize.

4) It's hard to study in a huge class if you find it hard to study. It's easy to study in a huge class if you find it easy to study.