Nzrex

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gorlum

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, guys!
Please, can somebody tell me about NZREX except official information? It?s amazing, but I couldn?t find anybody who holds this bloody exam! There are plenty of sources about US Clinical Skills which look like NZREX but none about the latter. As I understand each doctor in New Zealand have to pass it before graduating and it?s more than strange that there are not any discussion forums an so on.
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

As far as I know Gorlum, Australian/NZ trained doctors don't need to take the NZREX. It's only for certain groups of overseas trained doctors who want to practice in NZ.

I say certain groups as I have no idea who needs to take it and who doesnt ;)

Originally posted by Purifyer
As far as I know Gorlum, Australian/NZ trained doctors don't need to take the NZREX. It's only for certain groups of overseas trained doctors who want to practice in NZ.

I say certain groups as I have no idea who needs to take it and who doesnt ;)

Thanks!
At least I found out one important thing that only such unlucky persons like me have to pass this mysterious exam:). And it explains lack of unofficial information about NZREX. I am an IMG graduate and I have already passed USMLE step 1. Step 2 won?t be a big problem (dreams, dreams:)), but NZREX! I wonder if it?s acceptable to pass American Clinical Skills instead. Of course I will ask official quarts about this but I have doubts.
Do you have some kind of graduation\licensing exams in med. school?

Members don't see this ad :)
I found a nzrex discussion group on the net although it is a bit new

it is NZREX Discussions

I hope it will help.

some information (although not much) is there on nzrex.com
:thumbup:

stag said:
I found a nzrex discussion group on the net although it is a bit new

it is NZREX Discussions

I hope it will help.

some information (although not much) is there on nzrex.com
:thumbup:
Thanks! I am a member of this group already:).

Gorlum said:
Thanks!
At least I found out one important thing that only such unlucky persons like me have to pass this mysterious exam:). And it explains lack of unofficial information about NZREX. I am an IMG graduate and I have already passed USMLE step 1. Step 2 won?t be a big problem (dreams, dreams:)), but NZREX! I wonder if it?s acceptable to pass American Clinical Skills instead. Of course I will ask official quarts about this but I have doubts.
Do you have some kind of graduation\licensing exams in med. school?

I don't know re: just passing the US licensing exams but I doubt it ;)

NZ/Australia have a small number of medical schools that are carefully reviewed every 3-5 years by some Australasian board of medical education or something similar. As there are no schools below standard, there is no need for a national licensing exam as it is assumed that the inidividual schools have a rigid enough pass/fail process.

We have 'graduating' exams but they are within the uni.

Purifyer said:
I don't know re: just passing the US licensing exams but I doubt it ;)

NZ/Australia have a small number of medical schools that are carefully reviewed every 3-5 years by some Australasian board of medical education or something similar. As there are no schools below standard, there is no need for a national licensing exam as it is assumed that the inidividual schools have a rigid enough pass/fail process.

oh, unlike the stupid US students who REQUIRE a national licensing exam?? sounds like the terrible evil bitch irlandesa isn't the only person out there who is horribly prejudiced against FMG's. talk about hypocritical and overtly nationalistic!

irlandesa said:
oh, unlike the stupid US students who REQUIRE a national licensing exam?? sounds like the terrible evil bitch irlandesa isn't the only person out there who is horribly prejudiced against FMG's. talk about hypocritical and overtly nationalistic!

lol. What's more sad is I realise you've wasted entire hours of your life searching through every one of my 150 posts. I don't think you're an evil bitch irlandesa. In fact you're an amusing caricature of several students I know personally :)

I'm preparing for nzrex clinical for june,2006.i'm preparing with kaplan & first aid usmle step2 cs(books&videos) material.i don't seem to find relevant material anywhere or the material in the mcnz website seems to be exhausting & painful to master for exam i've in 2 months.i'm planning to attend hospitals in auckland to prepare for the exam.anybody's willing me to help me or advice me about my drastic step.
is 2 months enough to prepare for nzrex with usmle material.
hey docs help this :confused: doc from timbuktoo

rufussewell said:
I'm preparing for nzrex clinical for june,2006.i'm preparing with kaplan & first aid usmle step2 cs(books&videos) material.i don't seem to find relevant material anywhere or the material in the mcnz website seems to be exhausting & painful to master for exam i've in 2 months.i'm planning to attend hospitals in auckland to prepare for the exam.anybody's willing me to help me or advice me about my drastic step.
is 2 months enough to prepare for nzrex with usmle material.
hey docs help this :confused: doc from timbuktoo
Well, I dropped the idea about taking nzrex. I've passed all steps of USMLE including step 3 and clinical skills, matched to the US residency and going to Pittsburgh this summer. Do you know that you can register at medical counsil of NZ with ECFMG certificate till Sept 2006? In order to get a certificate you need step 1, step 2 and Clinical Skills (it's a nice exam, I liked it).