o-chem and physics jitters!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

3aliyah

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Now after my degree I am finally taking the chems and physics pre-reqs and I'm really nervous. I took orgo once before and got a C so I figured I better take it again. Do they average your 2 grades then or what? And physics...well I'm just plain scared since it's logical and mathematical. I'm a bio person and so the type of math we did was nowhere near the type that physics is. Any suggestions for studying (other than all the time)....

Members don't see this ad.

Neither o-chem nor physics are as difficult as people make them out to be. That does not mean that they are not challenging and that you do not have to study. However, I would recommend that you learn the concept, especially in o-chem. When I took it, many people tried to learn every reaction, and they would make endless amounts of notes. However, if you learn the underlying idea, then you can apply it to any circumstance. For example, if you learn the major idea behind an SN2 reaction then you can apply it to any set of reagents and make the appropriate products.

As far as physics goes, there are two types. One with calculus and one that does not involve calculus. If you think you will have a difficult time using calculus in physics then take the other class. You'll still learn physics, and it will look a lot better in you earn an A then if you take the one with calculus and earn a C.

One other thing that helped me in both classes is to read ahead of the teacher, that way I knew what was going on in the lectures. Alos, practice, practice and practice until the concepts are second nature. That's how I got through them and I did very well in both courses. Some people may not need as much discipline for they pick it up faster, but I wasn't one of those, the thing that made me succeed was hard work.

Bottom line: Don't go into the classes fearing them as so many pre-meds do. They are weedout classes for those who are not disciplined, not for those who are willing to work hard. As a matter of fact, I enjoy o-chem far more than general, and so may you.

Just remember, "there is nothing to fear, but fear itself."

Good luck and bust it out!

Originally posted by 3aliyah:
•Do they average your 2 grades then or what? •••

You must report both grades to AMCAS and they both will count in your AMCAS GPA and AMCAS BCPM GPA (the Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Math GPA).

Study hard and good luck!