O-Chem or Physics over the summer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CurrySpice

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which set of courses should I take over the summer?

O-chem would work better scheduling-wise because it's offered at a college right near my house, but I've heard that it's really difficult. I actually liked physics in high school, but I'm thinking that I wouldn't like it crammed into the space of 2 months.

The way my school limits credit hours/semester, I have to take either set of courses over the summer (plus I don't really want to take them at the same time sophomore year) and I want to go study abroad and not worry about prereqs. (I'm actually pre-vet, but we have some of the similar requirements... I think...)

Members don't see this ad.

This is just my opinion, but I think you should choose Ochem. First, summer classes are usually actually easier because they are in a more condensed format so you get tested on something you just learned (as opposed to something you learned months before). Also, this condensed format helps you get into a certain mindset, which is very important for ochem since you have to start thinking in terms of synthesis. The second reason is that Ochem 2 builds very much on Ochem 1, which is not true of physics 2 and physics 1 which are quite distinct. Thus, the condensed format will be particularly helpful because you will remember the reactions from ochem 1 when you take ochem 2 (which most students have to relearn completely).

My gen chem teacher suggested not taking organic over the summer because you're moving so fast the retention of material for most people isn't so good. He said he taught a guy (who actually went on to med school) who said he regretted taking organic in the summer because he had to relearn everything when studying for the MCAT.

Some people may argue that ochem isn't a huge deal on the MCAT, but that one easy organic question could ultimately be the difference between a 9 and a 10 on the MCAT BS you never know...

Members don't see this ad :)
My gen chem teacher suggested not taking organic over the summer because you're moving so fast the retention of material for most people isn't so good. He said he taught a guy (who actually went on to med school) who said he regretted taking organic in the summer because he had to relearn everything when studying for the MCAT.

Some people may argue that ochem isn't a huge deal on the MCAT, but that one easy organic question could ultimately be the difference between a 9 and a 10 on the MCAT BS you never know...
I agree. But if you do decide to take Ochem, put everything into it because one slip up and your A becomes a B

I was wondering about this myself (just about ochem). I am taking ochem 1 in the spring, would it be ok to take ochem 2 during the summer?

I was wondering about this myself (just about ochem). I am taking ochem 1 in the spring, would it be ok to take ochem 2 during the summer?
If you really learn your stuff for Ochem 1, Ochem 2 shouldn't be bad.

Ochem 2 is primarily memorization (but not the kind you do for biology). If you want an A in the course, you need to do many, many problems. If you're taking it in the summer I suggest you do nothing else but that course.

My gen chem lab teacher told me that it wouldn't be in my best interest to do so. He said that "if your goal is to just take the class because chemistry is your major and you just need to get it out of the way then do it. But if you need organic chemistry for an exam it would be in your best interest to take it in a semester"

I took Physics I over the summer and loved it. But I had a pretty strong background from high school, so it really wasn't that challenging. Personally, I would never consider taking Ochem in the summer.

Advice from someone who just finished physics II last week. DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would go by the professor that is teaching the classes to choose.

i'd definitely say take physics. i am finishing up 2nd semester right now and have been doing pretty well. i came in with basically no background, (i took some intro physics almost 4 yrs ago) and it just took a week to get adjusted to learning it and relearning geometry and some simple math. physics is mostly plug and chug and not as much memorization. ochem on the other hand is a lot of memorization and you have to think alot and connect topics together and it is hard. so i would recommend taking orgo during the year. however, i hear the mcat is very light on orgo and heavy on physics, then mabye it would be best to take orgo in the summer. sorry if that didn't help

My gen chem lab teacher told me that it wouldn't be in my best interest to do so. He said that "if your goal is to just take the class because chemistry is your major and you just need to get it out of the way then do it. But if you need organic chemistry for an exam it would be in your best interest to take it in a semester"
If you are referring to the MCAT then I would say that there is more physics than organic on the test. Recent changes in the MCAT seem to focus more on biology and less on organic for the BS section.

Thanks for the replies everyone! It sounds like either could work... although maybe the consensus is leaning towards O-Chem. I'm leaning towards O-Chem because I'm fairly bad at rote memorization, and ruining a summer sounds much more appealing than ruining sophomore year. I'm getting a lot of money this summer, so I probably won't need a job along with summer school, although I will be shadowing for experience.

However, I will NOT be taking the MCAT because I'm actually pre-vet, so that's not really a consideration for me. Vet students just need the GRE, and I've heard neither is really that important in vet school.

I would go by the professor that is teaching the classes to choose.

This isn't a bad idea. Personally, I would go with which ever class you think will be tougher. I don't know how other schools do it, but at mine, we have 3 separate summer semesters, so as long as your semester lasts 3-4 months vs say 6 weeks, then learning and retaining the material should be no problem.