O-Chem over the summer at a different school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tokeneconomy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
My main question is if it is looked down upon in a huge way to take the second semester of organic chemistry at a school other than your own? I was taking it this semester at my university and withdrew (had a D because I failed to prepare for the exams, C- was the highest grade in my sights and I've gotten A's in gen chem and o-chem 1 as well as physics 1, so I thought that would throw my science GPA to hell). I would plan on taking o-chem 2 at Rutgers, which is "ranked" significantly lower than my university if that is relevant, but still not a bad school at all. I ordinarily would not mind waiting a semester to take it during the fall at my school, but it is a pre-requisite for classes offered only in the Fall and I would be quite behind if I don't take it before the Fall.
Thanks for any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

i see no problem in taking o-chem over the summer at Rutgers...or anywhere else...especially given that you have a perfectly valid reason for doing so (i.e. you need it as a pre-req for courses in the fall)

The rule of thumb is to take the course at a peer institution. If you went to Harvard, you shouldn't take the summer course at a community college. The course should be similarly rigorous as the course at your own institution.

Actually, people go to Harvard to take summer O-chem. It was about 10x easier than the fall/spring ochems.