How bad is it to take calc II over the summer at a community college?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1123640

Here's my situation. As a biochemistry major at my 4 year university, I was supposed to take Calc I fall of my freshman year and Calc II spring of my freshman year. Unfortunately, I'm in precalculus right now and will be in Calculus I in the spring. This means I have to take calculus II over the summer or spring of my sophomore year when I'm taking organic chemistry and physics. Unfortunately, my 4 year university only offers Calc II in 6 week classes over the summer. If I went to a community college to take calculus II, how badly is this going to hurt me?

I'm already nervous because I did a lot of dual enrollment in high school and took two part time semesters right after high school at community college (one was the spring because I graduated early, one was over the summer) before going to 4 year university so I have 30 credits from community college already (1 English semester, anatomy I and II, a computer class, intro to psychology, human development, math applications, intermediate algebra, and college algebra). Overall, how screwed am I already and how screwed am I going to be if I take calc II at community college over the summer?

Members don't see this ad.

Nothing that you described makes me think you are screwed. Neither previously taking courses at a CC, nor taking a single random non-pre-req like Calc II, is anything that anyone will bat an eye at.

Also, unless calc II is a prereq for physics at your school, you could just take Calc II, O chem I and physics in the fall. You already have 30 credits knocked out so there should be no rush to take 18 hours every semester, and having a lighter semester while you tackle some heavy-duty classes is totally fine. O chem and physics each have a lab component, so that's already 11 credits and maybe 12 if one of them is a two hour lab. If need be, take an easy one credit phys ed course or something to get to full time student hours.

Regardless, no matter how you look at this, you are not screwed :)

Nothing that you described makes me think you are screwed. Neither previously taking courses at a CC, nor taking a single random non-pre-req like Calc II, is anything that anyone will bat an eye at.

Also, unless calc II is a prereq for physics at your school, you could just take Calc II, O chem I and physics in the fall. You already have 30 credits knocked out so there should be no rush to take 18 hours every semester, and having a lighter semester while you tackle some heavy-duty classes is totally fine. O chem and physics each have a lab component, so that's already 11 credits and maybe 12 if one of them is a two hour lab. If need be, take an easy one credit phys ed course or something to get to full time student hours.

Regardless, no matter how you look at this, you are not screwed :)
Calc II is a corequisite for physics I at my 4 year university, but I need it for physical chemistry of biomolecules. I don't think taking Calc II with two of arguably the hardest med school prerequisites is a good idea. I'm not sure which one would look worse, taking 12 credits one semester and possibly getting bad grades in 2 big prerequisite classes for medical school, or taking calc II over the summer at a community college when I'm at a 4 year university.

Members don't see this ad :)
Calc II is a corequisite for physics I at my 4 year university. I don't think taking Calc II with two of arguably the hardest med school prerequisites is a good idea.
Then take it over the summer. But eventually you’re going to have multiple difficult classes in a single semester.

Then take it over the summer. But eventually you’re going to have multiple difficult classes in a single semester.
Ok, I'm just worried that is going to make me look bad, hopefully it doesn't. I have several semesters where I'm taking things like organic chemistry, physics, and genetics or something like biochemistry, virology and immunology. I just am not particularly good with math so taking one of the hardest undergraduate math classes along with physics and organic chemistry just sounds like a very bad idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, I'm just worried that is going to make me look bad, hopefully it doesn't. I have several semesters where I'm taking things like organic chemistry, physics, and genetics or something like biochemistry, virology and immunology. I just am not particularly good with math so taking one of the hardest undergraduate math classes along with physics and organic chemistry just sounds like a very bad idea.
Calc II is not a pre-req, so it doesn't matter where you take it.

As long as your home institution has no problem transferring the credit towards your degree, you'll be okay. Med schools don't usually require Calc 2. Pharmacy schools, maybe. Find out from your academic affairs office before you register and make plans (or whatever the process is at your institutions).

As long as your home institution has no problem transferring the credit towards your degree, you'll be okay. Med schools don't usually require Calc 2. Pharmacy schools, maybe. Find out from your academic affairs office before you register and make plans (or whatever the process is at your institutions).
My advisor was the one who actually suggested I take it at a community college. I'm just worried it'll look bad taking it at community college when I'm already at a 4 year university.

Community college shouldn't hurt; I did 2 whole years there before transferring and have been doing just fine this cycle. Just make sure you kill the class!

Reactions: 1 users