o chem question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ToothFairy423

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
problem on topscore i dont get

cyclo octane that is conjugated (has 4 double bonds)

wouldnt this be considered anti aromatic? topscore doesnt seem to think so, so im am confused.

can anyone help
 
DrTacoElf said:
http://www.tamug.tamu.edu/mars/chem227/aromatics.htm


According to huckel's rule to be a aromatic a molecule must be conjugated and contain 4n + 2 pi electrons. Cyclooctane has 8 pi electrons and it is conjugated so it is antiaromatic (4n, n=2) pi electrons as opposed to aromatic 4n+2 pi electrons. Compounds that are non-conjugated are non-aromatic.

n must always be an integer.

so it is safe to assume that topscore is wrong"???
 
ToothFairy423 said:
problem on topscore i dont get

cyclo octane that is conjugated (has 4 double bonds)

wouldnt this be considered anti aromatic? topscore doesnt seem to think so, so im am confused.

can anyone help


I'm pretty sure this question #98 on test 1 has been rewritten, that is that's what the scholarware site says http://www.scholarware.com/DATFix07.x.htm

But if it the question I'm thinking of, answer C is cyclooctatetraene, sure it has 8 pi electons, which, according to Huckle should make the molecule antiaromatic. But the molecule itself is not planar (it forms kind of a cube shape) and therefore the pi electrons do not interact. This molecule is stabe, and behaves as a normal alkane. My text classifies it as non-aromatic which is consistent with its chemical properties. It's not antiaromatic and why their website has this question updated.

So to answer your question, I believe the question has been updated.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
joy2dmd said:
I'm pretty sure this question #98 on test 1 has been rewritten, that is that's what the scholarware site says http://www.scholarware.com/DATFix07.x.htm

But if it the question I'm thinking of, answer C is cyclooctatetraene, sure it has 8 pi electons, which, according to Huckle should make the molecule antiaromatic. But the molecule itself is not planar (it forms kind of a cube shape) and therefore the pi electrons do not interact. This molecule is stabe, and behaves as a normal alkane. My text classifies it as non-aromatic which is consistent with its chemical properties. It's not antiaromatic and why their website has this question updated.

So to answer your question, I believe the question has been updated.

wow thanks alot you have been so insightful

how do you know that it is a cube shape?" is this just something you memorized... i hope its stuff like this, that i dont know, and have no way of knowing, that doesnt mess up my score!
 
ToothFairy423 said:
wow thanks alot you have been so insightful

how do you know that it is a cube shape?" is this just something you memorized... i hope its stuff like this, that i dont know, and have no way of knowing, that doesnt mess up my score!


No, I just looked up why answer C was not antiaromatic. It was an exception so I was curious. Topscore was great, like everyone says.. so when I missed a question, I looked it up. I think i was puzzled or asked scholarware. i think they sent me the solution to this one.