o chem question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

far123

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys,
what is the main difference between

1)graduated cylindar
2) Buret
3) pipet
4)volumetric pipet

Members don't see this ad.

All four are pieces of equipment used for measuring liquids with varying degrees of accuracy as I'm sure you know. These descriptions come from my experience, but I think they're generally pretty accurate (please correct me if I'm wrong).

Graduated cylinders are the least precise and are available in many sizes. They're used in cases when it is not as vital that you get a perfectly exact amount of the substance of interest (solvent for a reaction).

Burets are large, long columns that are much slimmer (generally) than graduated cylinders. They also have a stopcock at the bottom so you are more able to control the amount of liquid you are using. The majority of the buret use I've done is with titrations.

Pipettes are usually disposable and are used for transferring material. The ones I've used can hold somewhere around 1 mL of liquid but they are not precise.

Volumetric pipettes are calibrated so the user knows exactly how much liquid they are transferring.

hey guys,
what is the main difference between

1)graduated cylindar
2) Buret
3) pipet
4)volumetric pipet

try to find pictures of these in your book or on line. it will help you to know for what purpose they are used.