o chem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eflwon

PlaDO
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
do you need ochem in med school, my girlfriend is trying to tell me yes, but i dont think so. would you need knowledge of it for biochem in med school? any help? thanks alot

Members don't see this ad.

you need it for the mcat..and i do believe it is a requirement for med school..

Members don't see this ad :)
eflwon said:
do you need ochem in med school, my girlfriend is trying to tell me yes, but i dont think so. would you need knowledge of it for biochem in med school? any help? thanks alot

You need 2 semesters + lab for admission to medical school. If you don't take it, your application will be discarded.

You also need it for the Biological Sciences portion of the MCAT. It is about 50% of this section.

It is used very little in medical school, and will not help you in biochemistry.

OSUdoc08 said:
You need 2 semesters + lab for admission to medical school. If you don't take it, your application will be discarded.

You also need it for the Biological Sciences portion of the MCAT. It is about 50% of this section.

Yes, you need O-chem for application process.

Yes, you need it. Do well in it too. The biosci section of the MCAT is about 50-70% organic chem.

The Engineer said:
Yes, you need it. Do well in it too. The biosci section of the MCAT is about 50-70% organic chem.

has the MCAT changed? i've heard that the mcat isnt much o-chem

chuckcamp said:
has the MCAT changed? i've heard that the mcat isnt much o-chem

3 sections of the MCAT:

1. BIO (1/2 ORGANIC CHEMISTRY + 1/2 BIOLOGY)
2. CHEM (1/2 INORGANIC CHEMISTRY + 1/2 PHYSICS
3. VERBAL

OSUdoc08 said:
3 sections of the MCAT:

1. BIO (1/2 ORGANIC CHEMISTRY + 1/2 BIOLOGY)
2. CHEM (1/2 INORGANIC CHEMISTRY + 1/2 PHYSICS
3. VERBAL

I thought Bio was 2/3 bio + 1/3 organic chemistry.

omg i took the mcat in august and my form had FIVE VERY DIFFICULT o-chem passages.....it just depends on which form you get but don't take your chances!

There was very little O-chem on my MCAT it was definatley closer to 2/3 bio (tons of genetics) and 1/3 o-chem 1 very hard passage, 1 hard passage and 1 pretty simple one. I took it this August.

jackets5 said:
There was very little O-chem on my MCAT it was definatley closer to 2/3 bio (tons of genetics) and 1/3 o-chem 1 very hard passage, 1 hard passage and 1 pretty simple one. I took it this August.
Had very little O chem on my MCAT(which sucks because I like it) and tons of genetics (which sucks because I hate it). Who freakin knows? Hopefully I won't have to use it (ochem) much anymore. I've forgotten half of the crap anyway. :oops:

Same here i forgot all of it. The concepts they test on the MCAT arent that hard on the MCAT just the way it is presented. I havent needed much more than know some steriochemistry so far in Biochem so i dont know why they make us take it only to torture us.

jbone said:
Had very little O chem on my MCAT(which sucks because I like it) and tons of genetics (which sucks because I hate it). Who freakin knows? Hopefully I won't have to use it (ochem) much anymore. I've forgotten half of the crap anyway. :oops:

jackets5 said:
they make us take it only to torture us.
Right on the nose. Those bastards. :mad: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

jackets5 said:
Same here i forgot all of it. The concepts they test on the MCAT arent that hard on the MCAT just the way it is presented. I havent needed much more than know some steriochemistry so far in Biochem so i dont know why they make us take it only to torture us.

Organic has been pretty useful for undergrad biochem. Then again you may be right about it being pretty useless for a more clinically-based biochem class.

jbone said:

Same here, and mostly first semester. Of course one thing they like to do is throw around orgo terms on a question that's really a bio question to make people panic. (IE show the structure of a chemical but never ask any stereochem or reaction questions. I think the official number is 35% orgo for what it's worth.)