OAT dates/ timeline

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JAB1215

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am currently a junior, who is planning on applying to optometry schools this upcoming summer. However, I am slightly confused as to how to sign up to take the OAT this summer. I have been unable to find any concrete dates for which the OAT is administered. I have not completed the application for taking the OAT on the ASCO website yet; when I complete this will it give me choices of testing dates? In general, when is the OAT administered? When do most people take the OAT/ when is it recommended to take it? I was planning on taking the OAT in August; however, if I then decide to take it a second time would this prevent me from applying early in the admission cycle, as I would have to wait at least 90 days between testing dates? Is it recommended to only take the OAT once? I have also read posts in which people have mentioned that they decided to push back their OAT testing date one or two weeks; therefore, is the OAT administered every week? I apologize for all of these questions, I am just very confused!
Thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

When you sign up via http://www.ada.org/en/oat, you will be given a login to the pro metric website. Since the test is administered in a testing center, you will pretty much be able to choose from a bunch of different dates. I'm sure there will be plenty of dates for you to choose from.
The best time to take the OAT would be May-June that way your OAT scores are sent to your schools around the same time as your Optomcas. Also if you under perform on the OAT and need to retest you will have enough time to do so and still be competitive.
It's best to take the OAT only once as there is a hefty price tag attached to it. If you need to improve your score you can retake it. It's not unheard of to re test, some times you don't perform as well as you could have. I retook mine once and it got me two acceptances so don't be discouraged if you need to. Good luck!