Oat Destoyer And Oat Kaplan Course

LucidEyes

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just bought the OAT KAPLAN online course and it was really hard for me to give up that kind of money but if it is whats going to get me great scores for optometry school then I am willing to pay for it. On the other hand I had questioned if I should have just ordered the OAT DESTROYER instead and pay $160 since other people have had great success with just this.

Is there anyone out there that has bought both and can tell me their differences? Would it be more beneficial to study from both/either tests?

I live in San Antonio and would like to get into the new school at UIW since I'd be saving money going to school at home. I would imagine that they would like student with very competitive scores since it will be there first graduating class and want to set a good example for there school.
Good luck to everyone getting ready for their OAT like me.

:p--had to make use of the cute smilie

Members don't see this ad.

I am a former Kaplan OAT/DAT instructor.

I think the Kaplan course works for people who need the extra help in planning a study schedule and sticking to it. That said, when I was studying for the OAT I just bought the Kaplan review notes off of someone from SDN and because I spent some time mapping out my study schedule, I was fine. (400TS, 390AA).

I think the majority of Kaplan students would tell you afterwards that they wished they could have just gotten the material and saved the $1000 or so because it's the material that is most valuable.

If you are motivated and conscientious, I would recommend just getting OAT destroyer or the Kaplan notes, and pick up some practice test material (Topscore, kaplan, whatever) and test yourself repeatedly under timed conditions. If you think you can do this, I would try to get a refund from Kaplan because if money is tight, you will thank me later.

I think many schools take your highest score, so if you take the OAT and find out you aren't performing well. You can take the test again after enrolling in a class like Kaplan.

Again Kaplan is great because of it's structure, and forced regimen of studying and practice tests under test like conditions. But you can easily do this for yourself.

Last edited:
Hey,

I just ordered the Kaplan online course also. I hear so many stories where ppl say that they wish they didnt take the course but just studied off the materials. But honestly, everyone on this forum that I read about that actually TOOK the course and then wrote the OAT and posted their scores - scored ridiculously high on the OAT. I think that I have self discipline but Im SURE that the course helped these people somewhat in helping them get a high score. How do they know their results would have been different without the course?

I think that ANY benefit the course gives is definately worth it. I just want to write this test once, and kill it. So I figured taking the course is risk-free and can ONLY benefit me in the long run!

Also, I have a question. If I do the Kaplan course, do I need to get any other materials? Should I buy the OAT Destroyer also?? or topscore?? Or is kaplan by itself enough?

To Lucid Eyes- I'm in your same predicament, and I just think you need to think about yourself the most and how you study. Everybody is different and has a different circumstance. It all comes down to work ethic.. if you can study independently or if you need someone to set a schedule for you to study, that's fine too. Good luck! If you need some more advice, just PM me, 'cause I don't want to influence you just yet lol :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I would really like to get my money back but I just wonder how long it will take me to get a set of used KAPLAN notes from someone else on SDN and I'm the type to probably always wonder if going through with the whole course would have gave me even better scores. I've currently started the physics portion of the online course and am pleased so far. I am a disciplined and by a schedule kind of student, so I think that I could study without the course and just the material but it would take more work and time that I value greatly right now. This summer I am working fulltime, taking my physics 2 w/ lab, volunteering/shadowing and studying for the OAT.
Although, I am really curious as to what the OAT Destroyer has to offer since it is advertised by this forum and I've heard a lot of good results from other students on the forum.
I haven't received the notes in the mail yet but I can't wait to see how much study material I will me getting.
Too bad Kaplan doesn't offer a package of just the study material... guess they wouldn't profit as much off the students. :idea: Hey Penguin, I hope they paid you well since they charge 1200 a student.

I would really like to get my money back but I just wonder how long it will take me to get a set of used KAPLAN notes from someone else on SDN and I'm the type to probably always wonder if going through with the whole course would have gave me even better scores. I've currently started the physics portion of the online course and am pleased so far. I am a disciplined and by a schedule kind of student, so I think that I could study without the course and just the material but it would take more work and time that I value greatly right now. This summer I am working fulltime, taking my physics 2 w/ lab, volunteering/shadowing and studying for the OAT.
Although, I am really curious as to what the OAT Destroyer has to offer since it is advertised by this forum and I've heard a lot of good results from other students on the forum.
I haven't received the notes in the mail yet but I can't wait to see how much study material I will me getting.
Too bad Kaplan doesn't offer a package of just the study material... guess they wouldn't profit as much off the students. :idea: Hey Penguin, I hope they paid you well since they charge 1200 a student.

When I studied for the OAT, I was also working full time, taking a class, and shadowing/volunteering. So it is very doable and I wish you luck. Personally, I studied for 3 months (mostly on Sundays because that was my only day off). Though I took a fluffy psychology class which was easier than physics 2 w/ lab =).

One of the things with Kaplan is that we taught a lot of little tricks to figure out things faster, plus the mnemonics are always useful to remember things.

I was happy with the pay, but to be truthful. I just loved teaching my students and trying to help them get the scores they needed for a good dental/optometry program. That feeling was priceless.

You had really good scores too. How did you do it? Were you a result of Kaplan also?
I haven't received the material yet but I'm very pleased with it for the same reasons you are describing...easy ways to remember things etc. I love these tricks they provide so since I already paid to money and asking for a refund now would only give me back 75%+10%fee plus probably having to send back the material...I think it is best to just go through the course. I like not having to worry about getting my hands on a good set of used Kaplan notes with little writing and wear. I like the talk through online classes as well.
I plan to take my studying to 3 months also and take it Sept. Like most, I need more help in the chemistry and physics area.