OAT Experience 2017 (Retake)

eyehaveastigmatism

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi you guys! I retake the OAT on Monday, and I wanted to give you all an overview of my experience.

The first time I took the OAT, I didn't study the way I should have. My scores were terrible! I didn't take a course and just used the Kaplan book and Princeton book. I really struggled with trying to balance everything else I had to do while studying for the OAT, and slacked off on my studies a little bit. Even my practice tests weren't up to par during this time. Another thing about me is that I have extreme test anxiety, which makes me a horrible standardized test taker.

I decided immediately after taking my OAT the first time that I was going to give it another shot. This time I paid to take the Kaplan OAT course, and I must say it has been very helpful. The best thing about it is that I feel as though it forced me to study by completing all the necessary material. I highly recommend this course for anyone taking the OAT. The extra books and resources that come with it are the most helpful thing I've used to study so far. My scores on my practice tests increased a lot during the course, and I'm hoping to see similar results in my OAT.

My OAT Scores:

First OAT: BIO 300 | GC 250 | OC 260 | PHY 270 | RC 330 | QR 310 | TS 270 | AA 290
Kaplan 1: BIO 340 | GC 280 | OC 230 | PHY 200 | RC 330 | QR 300 | TS 260 | AA 280
Kaplan 2: BIO 350 | GC 310 | OC 260 | PHY 290 | RC 350 | QR 370 | TS 300 | AA 320
Kaplan 3: BIO 290 | GC 290 | OC 300 | PHY 220 | RC 310 | QR 330 | TS 280 | AA 290
Kaplan 4: BIO 310 | GC 280 | OC 300 | PHY 290 | RC 320 | QR 370 | TS 290 | AA 310
Kaplan 5: BIO 340 | GC 280 | OC 340 | PHY 280 | RC 350 | QR 370 | TS 310 | AA 330
ADA FL: BIO 310 | GC 280 | OC 340 | PHY 250 | RC 340 | QR 320 | TS 290 | AA 300
* Note: I took the Kaplan tests out of order like this: KAP 1 > KAP 3 > KAP 4 > KAP 2 > KAP 5*

I'm really nervous about my second take because my scores fluctuate so much depending on which material shows up on my test, but I'm hoping for luck of the draw when it comes to the questions I am presented with.

Also, for anyone struggling with OAT scores and deciding to apply, go ahead and apply! I applied with my old scores AA 290/TS 270 and got two interviews, one of which is with my top choice. So don't let scary OAT scores get you down!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Was your GPA good and did you have a lot of shadowing and volunteering?
I'm honestly not ready to take my OAT yet and am thinking about cancelling it.

Was your GPA good and did you have a lot of shadowing and volunteering?
I'm honestly not ready to take my OAT yet and am thinking about cancelling it.

My GPA is a 3.7, and I have over 500 hours of experience in optometry and a lot of extracurricular and volunteer experience as well. If you message me, I may be able to talk through it with you. I know when I was preparing to test I just wanted someone to talk through things with me to make me feel a little better about test day.

Are you by chance selling your Kaplan study books? I don't have the money for the course, but want to use the material in my study.

Members don't see this ad :)
Which two schools did you get in with your old scores? Im in the same boat!

Just a little update. After re-taking my OATs and completing the Kaplan course my scores stayed about the same. I still made a 290 AA, but my TS increased to a 280. My scores went up in OChem, GenChem, Bio, and QR.

Before re-taking, I had interviews with UAB, KYCO, and IUSO. I was accepted to IUSO and will be attending in the Fall.

Just a little update. After re-taking my OATs and completing the Kaplan course my scores stayed about the same. I still made a 290 AA, but my TS increased to a 280. My scores went up in OChem, GenChem, Bio, and QR.

Before re-taking, I had interviews with UAB, KYCO, and IUSO. I was accepted to IUSO and will be attending in the Fall.

Did you get in to school with 290AA and 280 TS?

I think he got in with a 290AA and lower than 280TS unless they interviewed with those scores then accepted with the 280TS. Nonetheless, a lot of experience and high gpa really made it better.

I think he got in with a 290AA and lower than 280TS unless they interviewed with those scores then accepted with the 280TS. Nonetheless, a lot of experience and high gpa really made it better.

Yeah your probably right- high GPA overweighs the low OAT score and vs versa

I got in with the 290AA,280TS. One of the things I really liked about IUSO is how they take a more holistic approach and consider the total application without disregarding the applicant simply on OAT scores alone. My OAT scores were a major concern for me, but if you are in a similar position my advice is to stay positive and hope that your overall application stands out enough.

Can you tell me what your individual scores were in each section? If you don’t mind.