OAT experience 7/31/14

whatwhowherewhywhen

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been a lurker here for the duration of my OAT studying time and thought I should contribute now that I'm done :)

Background:
I studied for 2 months (June 2-July 30th) and took the test on July 31st. I originally intended to take the OAT in January but chickened out and rescheduled to March. But I didn't study as much I wanted to because of regular classes, so I postponed. I ended up taking the Kaplan course as well, so I had their resources. I had cracking the OAT/DAT (comes with 2 practice tests) as well as the destroyer and the Kaplan book with 2 practice tests. (I bought all the resources first, intending to self study... but then panicked and ended up signing up for the kaplan course) I'm a biology major!

How I studied:
Most of the last two months has been devoted to OAT study. I've had work 2-3x/week (full day), but that was pretty much the only other commitment I had. I also made sure to have some off days (like two 2-3 day trips) but pretty much studied everyday except those. On work days, I probably studied 2-3 hours, and other days, 8-9 (including class) but with lots of breaks during that time.

The first month was pretty much review. The second month was all practice. The practice is reallllllly what gets you the score. Don't be discouraged if you're not doing so hot at first. Tests have unique styles and it will take time to learn the style. I wasn't doing very well until about 1-1.5 weeks to go until the exam (like 50% on Kaplan subject tests -- with a LOT of guessing)! Haha.

Kaplan course: Helpful but not necessary. As everyone says, it's their resources that are the best. 5 full tests you don't have to score yourself! I thought physics and g chem was the least like the test but the rest were okay. The class is not very in depth but does touch on the most important topics as well as raise your confidence. They also give quite a few "test tips" that were helpful for me.

I got through physics/gchem/ochem detroyer, almost all the qr (not the math destroyer), and ~400 bio questions. I did all the kaplan section tests, almost all the subject tests, and all the full lengths!

I thought the ada and princeton review tests were most similar in terms of rc/gchem/physics difficulty. kaplan ochem/qr subject tests were great. bio... was harder than kaplan/princeton but easier than the destroyer, imo.

The day before:
I know people tell you not to study, but I've never been able to do that. I did 2 Kaplan QR subject tests (which I thought were on point) and maybe about 100 bio destroyer questions. And then went through some QR answers for tests I didn't do. (All at a leisurely pace). Then I just went through allll the notes I've written (When I went over tests/practice I would write down what I got wrong and why. Like, "This is the ___ reaction, where ___ happens" or "don't forget to add water in ph calculations!" etc). I read up on a few more shaky bio concepts and slept by 1 am or so.

Test day:
I woke up at 9 am and read the summary sheets I made while eating breakfast. At 10:30 am I head over to a nearby starbucks, bought a coffee, and continued to read over reminders. I got to the test center at 11:20, but it wasn't until 11:40 (stopped studying by then). I was first in line. Make sure you have nothing in your pockets, no expired identification and make sure your credit card is signed (mine wasn't... oops). You put your stuff in a locker. They wand you and then sign you in (also take your picture) and set you up at a computer. My laminated graph paper was red...... which was weird. I was worried about the marker but it was super fine tip, though not always inky enough... sat down and shook out nerves and slowly read through the tutorial to calm myself. I didn't use the whole tutorial though and just began.

*protip* instead of clicking all the answers, just hit the answer choice on the keyboard! If you think it's easier. same goes for the calculator! mine wasn't laggy as other people say and using the number pad really helped and made calculations super easy! If you have the kaplan course -- I thought the calculator at the test center was better because all the functions work when using the keyboard, unlike kaplan's

Bio:
Jumped from topic to topic. I got lots of genetics, devo, physiology and taxonomy. It was also more "application based" than I was expecting. Instead of "what are the functions of this hormone" it was more like "this hormone isn't function (example), why?" Of course there were also a bunch of "freebies." Overall I was pretty freaked out *at first* and marked a bunch of questions. I had plenty of time leftover at the end though, and the second time through, I think I got most the questions

Chem:
So much easier than destroyer/kaplan! Probably the topic I struggled with the hardest because acids/bases, Ksp/etc, confuse the hell out of me. It took me a long time even to remember how balancing rxns, rate laws and Hess' law worked... but anyway, mine was also fairly conceptual with a few easy calculations thrown in. Know dilutions/neutralizations, hess' law, PV=nRT, le chatelier's, how to balance reactions, and the basics of electrochem (like the anode is where __ happens or a positive deltaE means...). Also know how to calculate pH + atomic trends.

Ochem:
Lots of SN1/2, E1/2 (what kind of product, what happens when this reaction happens) and basic reactions. Know the big named ones like Diels Alder or Claisen. I got 2-3 about them (pretty simple like, what is the product, or what is the one thing here that you DON'T need for a reaction). I'm sure it's random which one comes up, but knowing them = easy points. Quite a few "freebies." Know what makes things more acidic/basic or have a higher/lower bp/mp, know resonance, and know nmr/etc. I got 3-4 on nmr -- easy, but only if you reviewed the basics!

First time through, had 29 minutes to spare (~19 minutes for bio, unsure about the rest. marked a lot but got to review everything!). Ended up submitting about 3-4 minutes early.

RC:
WAY easier than I thought! Though to qualify that, I am a fairly fast reader. Each article took me about 5-6 minutes to read. I took a few notes for reference (1/paragraph). Then I went through each question, marking about 2-3 per article. I had about 7-8 minutes leftover and again, got to review all my questions but finished at the 0 minute mark.

I took the break to go to the bathroom, eat a little (couldn't each much b/c nerves), paced and walked in. Took the next few minute to shake off nerves and write a few formulas for physics. Started with 2 minutes left on my break.

Physics:
Half conceptual/half calculations (easy). Definitely a few wtf problems that I just picked b and moved on. Mostly were easy concepts like which way is a force acting or something. Kinematics, SHM, fluids, newtonian mechanics (torque, centripetal, gravitational force, momentum, etc) were the biggest. 1 angular momentum. 2-3 optics/waves, and 2-3 circuits. For optics, I would recommend for mirrors and lens know when an image/object is inv/upright, smaller/bigger, and where in relation to F or 2F an image may be. Because sometimes it's just concepts that don't require equations (but also know the equations, lensmakers+ snells).

QR:
Time crunch for sure, but not as bad as I thought! Stay calm and just keep working. Mark and move on and come back if needed (*only if you think you can solve it*)! Went through the first time with about 10 minutes left to go through 6-7 marked questions. Ended up "skipping" 3 or so because I knew it wasn't really worth it to try and figure it out/waste time.

*submit*

*survey* (shaking super hard.... lolol)

Bio: 400
Gchem: 400
Ochem: 390
RC: 400
Physics: 370
QR: 390
TS: 400
AA: 390

btw: my princeton review + ada practice scores were closest to my actual scores! with kaplan I hit 320 with the diagnostic, and then 330-350 and 50-90% (90% only towards the end... and only once) on the subject tests. on destroyer, i didn't do so hot with most sections. no score to give but lots of read question, flip to the back and take notes... haha.

Hope that helps! Feel free to ask any questions!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I saw your reply in my thread about physics and saw this thread simultaneously. My exam is on Monday, and I decided to go buy the Princeton Cracking the OAT book for physics and i've been going through it like no tomorrow (literally), but it is definitely helping me grasp the material. Congrats on doing PHENOMENAL! You destroyed it! Surprised to see you had 3-4 nmr! Where there much lab questions in orgo? How was the plant material and respiration material in bio?

Congrats again.

not many lab questions except the nmr for me. in my practice test i got a few about chromatography and distillation though, so i can imagine it coming up. i got maybe 1 or 2 question on plants? but i've heard of lots of other people getting plant questions.

oh and maybe 2? respiration type questions (one about glycolysis, a freebie type) and one about aerobic respiration (slightly harder... don't remember it though). basics are good though!

Last edited:
Congrats! Amazing score! I'm taking mine on Wednesday so it's relieving to hear you say Kaplan practice scores didn't reflect your actual score.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats! Amazing score! I'm taking mine on Wednesday so it's relieving to hear you say Kaplan practice scores didn't reflect your actual score.

i suppose it could be random, but i thought mine RC was much easier than kaplan's -- and if it's not then i'm sure the curve will work in your favor anyway!

and in general, i hear most people score higher than their kaplan overall score! good luck :)