Sep 15, 2018
I'm taking my OAT tomorrow morning (8AM ayy) so wish me luck :)

Kaplan 1/ Kaplan 2/ ADA:
Bio: 320/390/370
Gen Chem: 330/340/370
Orgo: 270/290/330
Physics: 260/270/310
RC: 290/300/340
QR: 300/260/--

Clearly I've got some fluctuation so I guess we'll see! Focusing on physics and QR tonight because orgo's a little hopeless for me at this point.

Edit:
Final scores:
Bio: 340
Gen chem: 340
Ochem: 310
Physics: 370
RC: 380
QR: 330

AA and TS: both 350

I've been studying since May (so that's about 3 months), but I was travelling through Europe for the whole first month so it was slow studying... I also worked part time (~20 h per week).

I basically used Chad's videos (coursesaver) for Chem, ochem, physics and QR! I found it especially good for the general chem. My organic chem mark was low because I ran out of time and memorized ZERO reactions (risky, I know). For Chad's made a lot of notes and did all the quizzes. I also used the Kaplan (2018-2019) for QR since it had the updated data sufficiency and quantitative comparison type questions.

Bio-- I started reading the Kaplan but I found it taking waaaaay too much time so I ended up studying with Feralis, which was OK since I had taken so many bio and physiology courses before so it was review. I actually just read through Feralis once and hoped for the best haha...there was definitely some stuff this morning that I hadn't seen before though!

Reading comprehension-- I read through the Kaplan tips and did the practice there and on the Kaplan Practice tests, but the passages are less complex and heavy reading on the actual OAT.

As for the Kaplan vs ADA practice exams, the Kaplan DEFINITELY tries to make you work for your score (especially physics). It's good practice but I found myself crunching for time on the Kaplan, while on the actual OAT I didn't run out of time in any section. The ADA was a little too simple in some respects, but it's a confidence booster in a good way, and is more reflective of the OAT. It's a good representation of the RC and physics particularly, in my opinion.

Feel free to ask any questions, the torture's all very fresh in my mind!

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2019
Status
Pre-Optometry
What do you think was a better comparison of the actual test, the ADA or the Kaplan ones? Congrats on your scores

May 2, 2019
Status
Pre-Optometry
I'm taking my OAT tomorrow morning (8AM ayy) so wish me luck :)

Kaplan 1/ Kaplan 2/ ADA:
Bio: 320/390/370
Gen Chem: 330/340/370
Orgo: 270/290/330
Physics: 260/270/310
RC: 290/300/340
QR: 300/260/--

Clearly I've got some fluctuation so I guess we'll see! Focusing on physics and QR tonight because orgo's a little hopeless for me at this point.

Edit:
Final scores:
Bio: 340
Gen chem: 340
Ochem: 310
Physics: 370
RC: 380
QR: 330

AA and TS: both 350
Congrats on your score! how did you prepare for bio and RC

OP
A
Sep 15, 2018
What do you think was a better comparison of the actual test, the ADA or the Kaplan ones? Congrats on your scores
Thanks! Definitely the ADA exam. The Kaplan tests were so stressful and they're marked harder than the actual OAT test is... I added some edits in my post regarding that as well.

OP
A
Sep 15, 2018
Congrats on your score! how did you prepare for bio and RC
For bio I just used the DAT bootcamp feralis bio notes and learned off of the practice exams. I started taking notes but it was taking too long, there's just too much info. The feralis took me about a week to get through and it's pretty good, but as you can see I didn't know everything on the OAT just from studying that, so if you have time to use one more source I think that'd be a good idea... but if you're OK with taking a little gamble then it's sufficient.

And the RC I just practiced-- the timing is the most important thing. The questions are mostly right in the passage, you just have to find them. I ended up skimming the passage, using the highlighter, and then answering by searching in the text.

Last edited:
May 2, 2019
Status
Pre-Optometry
For bio I just used the DAT bootcamp feralis bio notes and learned off of the practice exams. I started taking notes but it was taking too long, there's just too much info. The feralis took me about a week to get through and it's pretty good, but as you can see I didn't know everything on the OAT just from studying that, so if you have time to use one more source I think that'd be a good idea... but if you're OK with taking a little gamble then it's sufficient.

And the RC I just practiced-- the timing is the most important thing. The questions are mostly right in the passage, you just have to find them. I ended up skimming the passage, using the highlighter, and then answering by searching in the text.
In terms of DAT bootcamp feralis bio notes are you talking about the condensed 120 page document on their website or the 85 pages that are just feralis

Apr 29, 2019
Congrats on your scores! Were Chad's quizzes and questions similar to the difficulty on the OAT? Also, how were the physics and QR sections? I am worried the most for those two sections as they are not my strong points. Were there any "trick questions"?

Jul 18, 2019
Status
Pre-Optometry
Hey, taking mine in 4 days. Any last minute tips? I too struggled on the Kaplan tests, they were way too difficult and demoralizing imo. ADA sample test was not too bad so I hope it's structured like that. Were there any surprises on the real exam or was it straightforward?

OP
A
Sep 15, 2018
Congrats on your scores! Were Chad's quizzes and questions similar to the difficulty on the OAT? Also, how were the physics and QR sections? I am worried the most for those two sections as they are not my strong points. Were there any "trick questions"?
Thanks! Chad’s quizzes are pretty similar to the OAT in difficulty. Honestly I think the OAT is more straightforward— if you know the material, you can do the questions with no tricks. Some of the questions in chads are a little trickier than the OAT, but the chem is really good. Physics has conceptual questions on the OAT than chads does, and for QR I didn’t have as much trig or geometry as chads covered but DEFINITELY saw some of the types of questions chad had at the end of his QR section.

I thought the QR section was tricky... practice is pretty important for it because the math is really easy as long as you understand how to answer different types of questions. Physics was surprisingly OK though! I was worried about it too because of my practice scores and I’m not good at physics at all, but it was very straightforward. Don’t worry TOO much, I just used Chad’s videos, reviewed my notes the night before and that was it. They grade generously :)

OP
A
Sep 15, 2018
Hey, taking mine in 4 days. Any last minute tips? I too struggled on the Kaplan tests, they were way too difficult and demoralizing imo. ADA sample test was not too bad so I hope it's structured like that. Were there any surprises on the real exam or was it straightforward?
I know the feeling haha, last stretch. I’d just review anything you feel uncomfortable with and trust that you’ve done as much as you can at this point, and make sure to get enough sleep!
I was surprised about the amount of angular velocity questions on the physics, and how much easier the reading comprehension was than I expected (easier passages that were more organized). Be sure that you know how much time per section and per question and everything, so you’re not calculating time left per question during the exam, and so you know when you have to skip questions. That’s definitely a tip from me, skip the ones that you know you don’t know well and come back later if you can. The exam itself is actually pretty straightforward though, they don’t really try to trick you.

Also, I don’t know if you’re using chads videos but be sure to do a quick review of bond lengths and empirical formula, which I hadn’t reviewed and saw on the ADA practice test AND the actual OAT. Good luck! :) If you’re happy with your ADA score you’ll be ok.

Reactions: Ronak83
Apr 29, 2019
Thanks! Chad’s quizzes are pretty similar to the OAT in difficulty. Honestly I think the OAT is more straightforward— if you know the material, you can do the questions with no tricks. Some of the questions in chads are a little trickier than the OAT, but the chem is really good. Physics has conceptual questions on the OAT than chads does, and for QR I didn’t have as much trig or geometry as chads covered but DEFINITELY saw some of the types of questions chad had at the end of his QR section.

I thought the QR section was tricky... practice is pretty important for it because the math is really easy as long as you understand how to answer different types of questions. Physics was surprisingly OK though! I was worried about it too because of my practice scores and I’m not good at physics at all, but it was very straightforward. Don’t worry TOO much, I just used Chad’s videos, reviewed my notes the night before and that was it. They grade generously :)
Thank you for the reply and for the advice!

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2019
Status
Pre-Optometry
Ahh I'm writing my OAT this Saturday and I feel slightly better reading this! The Kaplan tests are super discouraging, and my scores were jumping all over the place, so hopefully my OAT experience is better!

OP
A
Sep 15, 2018
Ahh I'm writing my OAT this Saturday and I feel slightly better reading this! The Kaplan tests are super discouraging, and my scores were jumping all over the place, so hopefully my OAT experience is better!
As you can see, same haha. Yea if you’ve studied like you usually do and you did some practice, calm the nerves and it should be ok :) good luck!