OAT HELPPP!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futureopt17

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am new to sdn and this is my first post!! I took my OAT today and I am not pleased with my scores. I need overall guidance on the study material I should use and how others have studied. I don't see myself giving up on my dreams to become an optometrist. Below are my scores:

QR: 250
RC: 250
BIO: 230
GC: 260
OC: 260
Physics: 260
TS: 230
AA: 250

Please any information would be helpful. Thanks in advance !!

Members don't see this ad.

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 user
Whatd you use to study this time? There are tons of different study materials you can choose from for a variety of different prices. I think the kaplan online course with blue book is probably the most popular option Ive seen. Now on a real level, unfortunately with scores so far below 300 theres a slim chance you'll get into any. The lowest AA/TS Ive seen on these forums to gain admission is 280. The advice admissions councelors give to all applicants is to pick one study option, study hard for about 3 months (300 hours), and then take it. Obviously you'll have to reassess and figure out what went wrong the first time, and find a new method that works. Dont give up hope though, you still have time!

Whatd you use to study this time? There are tons of different study materials you can choose from for a variety of different prices. I think the kaplan online course with blue book is probably the most popular option Ive seen. Now on a real level, unfortunately with scores so far below 300 theres a slim chance you'll get into any. The lowest AA/TS Ive seen on these forums to gain admission is 280. The advice admissions councelors give to all applicants is to pick one study option, study hard for about 3 months (300 hours), and then take it. Obviously you'll have to reassess and figure out what went wrong the first time, and find a new method that works. Dont give up hope though, you still have time!
Thanks for your response. I read through the big blue Kaplan book, which I though I knew but I obviously didn't. I plan on purchasing the dat pricneton review along with the oat Princeton review, since it has subjects covered for the oat as well. And this time I will be studying for a full three months.

Members don't see this ad :)
Chads videos are a great study tool. The Kaplan book is also really good but it looks like you are having problems across the board. I would make a study plan that hits each subject hard for a week or two and then moving on once you’ve mastered it. If you really want to get into optometry school you have to put in the work.
Let your scores be a motivator to improve. You can only score higher!

Reactions: 1 users
I personally found the OAT Destroyer to be helpful! I purchased the bundle that included Bio, GC, OC, RC, QR, and Physics. I did every single problem in that book, and I believe that's the reason I did so well on my OAT. It forces you to apply the concepts of each subject, and you get a lot of practice in. It exposes you to a wide variety of biology questions as well. It also includes roadmaps of all the OChem reactions that you'll probably find really useful.

Chads videos are a great study tool. The Kaplan book is also really good but it looks like you are having problems across the board. I would make a study plan that hits each subject hard for a week or two and then moving on once you’ve mastered it. If you really want to get into optometry school you have to put in the work.
Let your scores be a motivator to improve. You can only score higher!
I personally found the OAT Destroyer to be helpful! I purchased the bundle that included Bio, GC, OC, RC, QR, and Physics. I did every single problem in that book, and I believe that's the reason I did so well on my OAT. It forces you to apply the concepts of each subject, and you get a lot of practice in. It exposes you to a wide variety of biology questions as well. It also includes roadmaps of all the OChem reactions that you'll probably find really useful.
Thank you. I also plan on buying the oat destroyer to study and review on a daily basis.

Don't get too discouraged. You probably didn't challenge yourself with your study material and study methods. Use Chad's videos to get a foundation and overall understanding of everything down. Then take that knowledge and apply it to the Kaplan book reading + problems. OAT Destroyers will definitely be helpful and are deemed a bit harder than the actual OAT difficulty so it'll more than prepare you for the actual test. Finally make sure to take the practice kaplan tests that come with the kaplan book and the ADA practice test (if your scores on the kaplan are a little low, don't worry since those are usually lower and harder than how you'll actually do on the OAT). I personally don't think a kaplan course or anything is needed unless you really wanna spend the money. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user