OAT Prep Calculation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

When would you recommend taking the OAT?

• Earlier (June 29th)

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Later (July 28th)

Votes: 4 66.7%

• Total voters

rwhyke

Reaction score
Hi all,

I had a value calculation question about when I should take the OAT. Currently, I'm schedule to take it on June 29th. I picked this date so that I could begin submitting applications on day one of the application cycle for 2024. That being said, I feel like I'll be reasonably prepared to take it on that date. I was wondering, though, would it possibly be more valuable to delay taking it one month to July 28th, and therefore adding roughly 50 hours of study time (I'm working full-time in July or it would be more than 50). It's basically impossible to value what 50 hours of targeted studying means to your composite OAT score, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it increase something like 15-25 points. Additionally, that job in July will be in an optometry setting and I suppose that'd add value to the application should I wait until the end of July. I guess that the final question would be:

Do you think it would be more valuable to apply to optometry school on July 1st with a 320 AA, or to apply on August 1st with a 345 (Again, I'm being generous with the improvement to see if it would be worth it assuming a large jump in score).

Also just for clarification, by value I guess I mean: Increased odds of getting into schools in the south/southeast (Houston, UAB, Southern), chances of first-year scholarships, etc.

Thanks for the input!
Have a blessed day

Members don't see this ad.

July is still early to apply. Also if you're looking for scholarships the higher the score the better but if you feel prepared by june 29th to get a high enough score then I wouldnt delay it an entire month. You might get burnt out/unmotivated. Maybe somewhere inbetween if you think june is too early

what's your GPA and extracurriculars like?

EDIT: I ask this because these are also factors i'm sure they take into account for scholarships

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
what's your GPA and extracurriculars like?

EDIT: I ask this because these are also factors i'm sure they take into account for scholarships
At least for me the only thing they took into account was academics. 350/340 oat

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
At least for me the only thing they took into account was academics. Over a 3.8 and 350/340 oat

if you don't mind me asking, what kind of scholarships were you offered with your stats and at which schools?